ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa required for my UK born/Australian national daughter?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:...Imagine the headlines...
I can give you one "headline" that happened (I know because I was there):

It was in Beirut/Lebanon in the Summer of 2006, when the last war between Lebanon and Israel started. The one and only (and hopefully last) time so far I needed consular protection.

"Western" countries organised an evacuation with Buses to Damascus.

Departure of all ~10 buses was scheduled some time in the morning, maybe 8 a.m. Everybody was RTG, except the Germans. They insisted that, according to the consular law of Germany, everybody had to pay a fee of EUR 50 per person, to make sure Germany will not incur costs since it´s everyone´s own fault to be in this situation.

The "show" that developed was unbelievable: There were families with several kids, prompting the Embassy Staff to demand 100s of Euros from them, on the spot. I will never forget one specific tourist who said "look, the house where we stayed was bombed yesterday. We were here for holidays - in Germany we have a house, jobs, bank account, money... Right now and here we have: Nothing. Simply because we ran out of the house which was about to collapse. So if you want money, we can give it to you in Germany. If needs be we can ring the bank together so you see..." (...you get the picture)

It went on and on... In the end (after several hours of everyone waiting!) staff of other embassies interfered and told them: Look - if you don´t want to leave right now, for bureaucratic reasons, that´s your problem. But the whole convoy is waiting for you, and we´ll go now. Finally they gave up and let everyone on board.

During the waiting time the "port of Beirut", which was just about 3 kilometres from our meeting point, was bombed. That was pretty loud and scary.

This doesn´t include the story of the catastrophic communication between the German authorities and its citizens that preceded the evacuation.

Ever since I prefer to use my Belgian passport for travel...

John G

Post by John G » Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 pm

ca.funke wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:...Imagine the headlines...
I can give you one "headline" that happened (I know because I was there):

It was in Beirut/Lebanon in the Summer of 2006, when the last war between Lebanon and Israel started. The one and only (and hopefully last) time so far I needed consular protection.

"Western" countries organised an evacuation with Buses to Damascus.

Departure of all ~10 buses was scheduled some time in the morning, maybe 8 a.m. Everybody was RTG, except the Germans. They insisted that, according to the consular law of Germany, everybody had to pay a fee of EUR 50 per person, to make sure Germany will not incur costs since it´s everyone´s own fault to be in this situation.

The "show" that developed was unbelievable: There were families with several kids, prompting the Embassy Staff to demand 100s of Euros from them, on the spot. I will never forget one specific tourist who said "look, the house where we stayed was bombed yesterday. We were here for holidays - in Germany we have a house, jobs, bank account, money... Right now and here we have: Nothing. Simply because we ran out of the house which was about to collapse. So if you want money, we can give it to you in Germany. If needs be we can ring the bank together so you see..." (...you get the picture)

It went on and on... In the end (after several hours of everyone waiting!) staff of other embassies interfered and told them: Look - if you don´t want to leave right now, for bureaucratic reasons, that´s your problem. But the whole convoy is waiting for you, and we´ll go now. Finally they gave up and let everyone on board.

During the waiting time the "port of Beirut", which was just about 3 kilometres from our meeting point, was bombed. That was pretty loud and scary.

This doesn´t include the story of the catastrophic communication between the German authorities and its citizens that preceded the evacuation.

Ever since I prefer to use my Belgian passport for travel...
That story in incredible :!: :!:

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed May 30, 2012 6:28 pm

John G wrote:That story in incredible :!: :!:
I wish it was only a story - believe me! ;)

Carlosmiranda
Portugal

Re:

Post by Carlosmiranda » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm

John G wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:If I were you...

I would submit a passport application by post.
Include all the relevant documentation.
Include a clear cover letter saying that you had PR at the time of the birth.
In the cover letter point them at the relevant sections of their guidance.

Make sure you photocopy EVERYTHING before you send it off, and send it by special delivery.

If it is accepted, then you are done.

If it is rejected, then you get all the documents back and can at that point appeal. That can go on in parallel with your trip to Colombia.
Guru, did everything you said above and got the UK passport for her a few weeks back.

Funnily enough, when we got back from Colombia in late January, they hassled me at the border control because my daughter didn't have the EEA thingy on her Australian passport ... after making us wait 15 to 20 min, they eventually let us through stamping her Australian passport for 6 months valid in UK.

I told them "she is getting a UK passport any ways!" I was fuming! I guess they have a job to do.

In any case, as an update to all, she has her UK passport now, so all good.

Anyone reading this, apply via post! Put in good cover letter and send it with all evidence etc (P60's, pay slips, bank statements if needed)

Thanks

John
Hi. Plz can explain me because I am in same situation at the moment . I was claiming jsa so that's why I am worrying that they will refuse my baby's passport application . I am in this country since 1994 . And I m working since 1998 but I don't have my p60 or bank statement . What can I do ?