ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can people with convictions get HSMP and leave to remain?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alalalayuyu
Newly Registered

can people with convictions get HSMP and leave to remain?

Post by alalalayuyu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi I just want to ask if people with unspent convictions are qualified for HSMP. I think they can get the certificate because that application form does not ask about convictions at all. But how about the second step (leave to remain)?

I mean, are there any clear policies that people with convictions are definately not possible to stay under HSMP? Especially those relatively big problems like thefts or other kinds of dishonesty? Does anyone with convictions has passed through the application or has similar experience? Thanks.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:12 pm

under grounds for refusing entry clearance in the Immigrations Rules, "Grounds on which entry clearance or leave to enter the United Kingdom should normally be refused" there is a section saying:

"(18) save where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that admission would be justified for strong compassionate reasons, conviction in any country including the United Kingdom of an offence which, if committed in the United Kingdom, is punishable with imprisonment for a term of 12 months or any greater punishment or, if committed outside the United Kingdom, would be so punishable if the conduct constituting the offence had occurred in the United Kingdom;"
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.