ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got Spouse VISA - What Now?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vinny048

Got Spouse VISA - What Now?

Post by vinny048 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 pm

My wife has received her entry clearance visa and has been in the country for 4 weeks.

She has registered with the GP and has a NI number enabling her to work.

The issue I have is I cannot open bank account due to ID requirements. They require a photo ID (Passport) & and ID with her address.

As we live rent free with my parents it is impossible to provide this form of ID. I thought of applying for a provisional driving licence but I've read that she has to be in the country for at least 185 days before she can apply.

Have any other board members faced a similar issue and does anyone know of a solution?

Many thanks
Vinny

peppekalle

Re: Got Spouse VISA - What Now?

Post by peppekalle » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 am

Have you tried taking her passport together with the letter from DWP giving her Ni number as proof of address.

vinny048

Post by vinny048 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:49 am

Yes, they won't accept that. I really don't know what to do about it.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:40 am

It's possibly one of the most frustrating things for a foreigner because the ID that most banks accept is ID that most people won't have for awhile after arrival.

Does your wife have a bank account in her previous country? Can she change the correspondence address of that account? If so, that can be used as a document.

Also, Santander accepts the biometric residence permit as a second form of identification according to their website.

Alternatively, can you open a joint bank account?

vinny048

Post by vinny048 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 am

We cannot even open a joint account as they need my wife's ID. This is so frustrating.

How do I go about getting a biometric residence permit?

Many thanks
Vinny

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

I thought Biometric Residence Permits were being issued by UKBA instead of the sticker in the passport. Is your wife's visa in her passport or a separate card?

Alternatively, perhaps your wife and you can enter into a lease with your parents? With the rent being a peppercorn.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:12 pm

have your wife put as an addressee for a utility bill or get a mobile phone contract in her name registered to that address.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Just Wondering wrote:I thought Biometric Residence Permits were being issued by UKBA instead of the sticker in the passport. Is your wife's visa in her passport or a separate card?

Alternatively, perhaps your wife and you can enter into a lease with your parents? With the rent being a peppercorn.
Entry clearance visas are always a sticker in the passport. BRPs only issued for applications within the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny048

Post by vinny048 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Her visa is inside her passport. I'm going to have to look at another way of doing this.

Thank
Vinny

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Regardless of living rent free - she should be added to the council tax bill. That'll provide you the necessary id.

Alternatively you could just add her a second name to the gas or electric bills.