ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Passport for my Daughter under EU Treaty Rights

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

John G

UK Passport for my Daughter under EU Treaty Rights

Post by John G » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi All,

This post is in part related to my recent post titled:

Visa required for my UK born/Australian national daughter? - Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:19 pm

I was looking into getting my daughter a UK passport by virtue of me being an EU Citizen (Italian by decent on my fathers side) and having lived/worked/paid taxes in the UK since 1 January 2006.

I was told that I had to provide P60's for the last 5 years (that is, for the tax years from Oct 23 2006 to Oct 23 2011 - when my daughter was born). I did not have my P60 for the tax year April 2006/2007 and so had to provide payslips/bank statements

Over the phone however they informed me that if I applied for any benefits in those 5 years I am disqualified from getting her the UK Passport!.... I did claim 1 month in January 2007 for job seekers allowance, so I didn't bother going to the appointment at the passport office because they would have not placed my application!

Does anyone have knowledge on this subject and can inform me whether I have any recourse?

Much appreciate any responses,

Thanks

John

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Your child is entitled to a British passport only if she was born in the UK after you acquired PR status.

If you have not acquired PR status for some reason (as you state), then your child is not a British citizen and therefore not entitled to a British passport.

Guess the onus is on you to prove that you fulfilled the conditions of exercising treaty rights in the UK for the 5 years in question and therefore have automatically acquired PR before your daughter was born.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Since the JSA claim was made in Jan 2007 and for a month only, by Feb 2012 it will be out of the qualifying residential period and you may then claim to have acquired PR or may apply for confirmation.

After you have PR status, your UK-born child will be entitled to be registered as British citizen under section 1(3) of BNA 1981. And after receiving the registration certificate, she may apply for a British passport.

John G

Post by John G » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:47 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Since the JSA claim was made in Jan 2007 and for a month only, by Feb 2012 it will be out of the qualifying residential period and you may then claim to have acquired PR or may apply for confirmation.

After you have PR status, your UK-born child will be entitled to be registered as British citizen under section 1(3) of BNA 1981. And after receiving the registration certificate, she may apply for a British passport.
Hi sushdmehta! Thank you for the prompt reply and great info!

So based on what you are saying, I can either 1) Get my daughter a British Citizenship and then apply for the passport or 2) Qualify my PR status and then apply for her

I know the forms required to clarify my PR status, so may go down that route.

Can you clarify why it matters that I got paid ONE month of job seekers allowance and why this disqualifies me from getting my daughter a UK passport!? seems totally disproportionate. It's obvious I have lived/worked/paid tax for the majority of the time from my first job starting in January 2006 to current time. (with only gap being the 3 months I was unemployed in Jan/Feb/March 2007 - where I claimed ONE month job seekers allowance and went to Oz for the other month or so)

Any thoughts on this? why do they negate treaty rights based on this?

Thanks again,

John

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:06 pm

John G wrote:So based on what you are saying, I can either 1) Get my daughter a British Citizenship and then apply for the passport or 2) Qualify my PR status and then apply for her
Not exactly that.

Only a British citizen is entitled to a British passport.

With respect to a UK-Born child:
For a child born in the UK before either parent has settled status (PR), the child is entitled to be registered as British citizen under section 1(3) of BNA 1981.
A child born in the UK after either parent was granted settled status is a British citizen by birth.

So, the date either parent parent acquires PR is key to determine whether a child is a British citizen by birth (and can apply for a British passport directly) or needs to be registered as a British citizen first (and can apply for British passport subsequently).

In simple words:
1. If you can prove that you acquired PR before your child was born, then the child is British citizen by birth and may apply for a British passport.
2. If you cannot prove that you had PR status before your child was born, then the child cannot apply for a British passport unless the child has been registered as a British citizen.

As for your query whether JSA claim affects eligibility to PR, please continue in the other topic you have created - where the relevant questions are being asked of you.

John G

Post by John G » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Just to update anyone that reads this thread!

I applied via the post for my daughters UK passport under EU Treaty rights.

I placed a detailed cover letter with all the evidence and a few weeks later received her UK passport in the post.

They didn't ask for any extra info or anything. So worked out well.

Thanks to everyone for their help/advice

John

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 am

Hi, i have the same case as you, so was looking at your post. I have a son with my wife, who doesnt have a Permanent residence card in the UK. She is a French National, living in the UK for almist 6 years now, so she is eligible for a PR. Can you please give some detailed info about what all you sent with the application and what is this EU treaty you are talking about. Will be helpful if i can get some info and apply for my son's PP. thanks

John G

EU treaty rights for your son

Post by John G » Wed May 30, 2012 5:44 pm

dhruv45in wrote:Hi, i have the same case as you, so was looking at your post. I have a son with my wife, who doesnt have a Permanent residence card in the UK. She is a French National, living in the UK for almist 6 years now, so she is eligible for a PR. Can you please give some detailed info about what all you sent with the application and what is this EU treaty you are talking about. Will be helpful if i can get some info and apply for my son's PP. thanks
Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

I can tell you my situation (which sounds like it would be the same for your wife!) Basically, I'm an Italian national and have been living in the UK for over 5 years.

Under EU law, my children born here in the UK, whilst I am resident and paying tax etc in the UK have a right to an English passport.

Your wife has to provide:

*P60 or 45 for previous 5 years from the date your son was born.
*If she doesn't have a P60 or P45 for a preiod, just send bank statement or better payslips for the period missing
*They basically want to see that she has paid tax for the last 5 years and has not been claiming social security payments etc
*Her EU passport (French passport in her case)

Simple apply with the normal passport app for your son (available at post office) and include all this info.

I also suggest you draft a cover letter stating you are exercising your EU treaty rights and outline all the evidence you are sending.

Have a look through the forum, there are links to detailed explanation of the EU treaty rights that you can maybe quote in the cover letter (I did that for example, it just drives the message home so to speak!!)

If you need any help just PM me or reply to this thread

Hope that helps

John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 30, 2012 8:22 pm

dhruv45in wrote:Hi, i have the same case as you, so was looking at your post. I have a son with my wife, who doesnt have a Permanent residence card in the UK. She is a French National, living in the UK for almist 6 years now, so she is eligible for a PR. Can you please give some detailed info about what all you sent with the application and what is this EU treaty you are talking about. Will be helpful if i can get some info and apply for my son's PP. thanks
Was it not concluded that your wife was already British (although not holding a British passport) so there is no need for the EU treaty rights.

tiroy
Newly Registered

Re: UK Passport for my Daughter under EU Treaty Rights

Post by tiroy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:39 pm

I am italian and Ive been studying full-time and working part-time since 2009 when I had my child. Does studying full time and Working part-time also counts as treaty rights?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 pm

tiroy wrote:I am italian and Ive been studying full-time and working part-time since 2009 when I had my child. Does studying full time and Working part-time also counts as treaty rights?
Yes.
Employment (even part time) or study count as treaty rights.

For periods of study without employment, you will also need private health insurance (CSI) or an Italian EHIC.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Aujla
Newly Registered

Post by Aujla » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Plz can tell me that if I have claimed working tax credit . Will they refuge my baby's passport . I am working in this country since 2000. Plz can u advice

Aujla
Newly Registered

Re: EU treaty rights for your son

Post by Aujla » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

John G wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

I can tell you my situation (which sounds like it would be the same for your wife!) Basically, I'm an Italian national and have been living in the UK for over 5 years.

Under EU law, my children born here in the UK, whilst I am resident and paying tax etc in the UK have a right to an English passport.

Your wife has to provide:

*P60 or 45 for previous 5 years from the date your son was born.
*If she doesn't have a P60 or P45 for a preiod, just send bank statement or better payslips for the period missing
*They basically want to see that she has paid tax for the last 5 years and has not been claiming social security payments etc
*Her EU passport (French passport in her case)

Simple apply with the normal passport app for your son (available at post office) and include all this info.

I also suggest you draft a cover letter stating you are exercising your EU treaty rights and outline all the evidence you are sending.

Have a look through the forum, there are links to detailed explanation of the EU treaty rights that you can maybe quote in the cover letter (I did that for example, it just drives the message home so to speak!!)

If you need any help just PM me or reply to this thread

Hope that helps

John
Hi plz can u advice me I need to apply my daughters passport

Diasm
Newly Registered

Post by Diasm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi, I have a similar question if you could help me!
I am a European Union Citizen (Portugal) working and living in the Uk since october 2009. I am pregnant and my baby is due in July! Can he have british citizenship and passaport? How do I apply for it?
I have all P60 since 2009 but I have never apply for Permanent Residence for me! Do I need to do that first or can I just ask for baby citizenship and passaport?
Thank you very much!

Best Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Unfortunately, you haven't complete 5 years since Oct 2009 in the UK, when the baby is due in July 2014.

Baby will be entitled to register for British citizenship after Oct 2014, when you complete your 5 years in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Diasm
Newly Registered

Post by Diasm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Dear Viny, thanks first of all for your reply!
Could you let me know what should I do then to apply for both the passaport and the citizenship in October??
Thank you very much
Best Regards

Sivaganesan
Newly Registered

Post by Sivaganesan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi Jhon,
I am going to apply UK Passport for my child under EU treaty rights..If possible could you please send model of your covering letter..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Sivaganesan wrote:Hi Jhon,
I am going to apply UK Passport for my child under EU treaty rights..If possible could you please send model of your covering letter..
User JohnG last logged into the forum in March 2014 and posted his original question in 2011. Kindly refrain from digging up old threads as it clutters the recent topics. Suggest start your own topic with your situation if you don't already have one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.