ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

KOL new requirement post Oct-2013

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

suchita02
Newly Registered

KOL new requirement post Oct-2013

Post by suchita02 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Dear Friends,

I and my husband are going to apply for ILR and have read about the new KOL requirement on knowledge of English. My husband is currently on “Tier 2 ICT” and myself on “Tier 2 ICT Dependent” visa. Our education is from a deemed university in India and is Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering. It will be great if you can share your views on whether we have to take ESOL Entry Level 3 exam or not. Is Bachelors Degree in Engineering from India accepted by UK NARIC at a greater or equivalent level to "ESOL Entry Level 3"?

Regards,
Suchi

WR1

Re: KOL new requirement post Oct-2013

Post by WR1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 pm

If your degree was taught in English, then have it deemed by NARIC, this should be sufficient and there is no need to take any additional tests.

You will still need to pass the Life in the UK test though.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks,

Do you have any idea about the documents which are required to be presented against UK NARIC for their validations?

Regards,
Suchi

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 am

You can use the PBS calculator
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 am

Hi,
I am on Tier 1 General for 5 years and now applying for ILR using same day service.
I have proved my degree was taught in English Language when I first applied for Tier1 5 years ago, by means of a letter from University. Would I required a NARICletter now, or would the same evidence supplied earlier be enough?
Anyone who recently had a similar experience please..
Thanks,

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:06 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

Evidence of knowledge of Language and Life in the UK required of all settlement and naturalisation applicants

A letter confirming success in the life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either

A certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; or

If you have a degree taught in English:
A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or
If your degree is not on the points-based calculator, an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of the qualification, and an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming your name, the title of the degree, and showing the qualification was taught in English; or
A certificate from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); or
If you are awaiting graduation, or no longer have your certificate and cannot get a new one, you must send either:
an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification, that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award. The letter should also explain when the academic qualification was, or will be awarded; and state either the date (if you have not yet graduated) that the certificate will be issued, or confirms that the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award; or
an original academic transcript that is on official letter-headed paper and shows your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title, and confirmation of the award; or

Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country; or
A letter from a medical practitioner to show that you should be exempt on the grounds of poor physical and/or mental health; or
(For naturalisation applicants outside of the United Kingdom) evidence as directed by the office of the Lieutenant-Governor, the office of the Governor, the British Embassy, the British High Commission, or the British Consulate.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks John,
This is really quite helpful for me and others in similar situation as well.

Just to confirm,
I have a letter from my college and also University declaring my Degree was taught in the English language.
Also I will take a prinout from the PBS Calculator specifying my degree is in their list.

Would this be sufficient, apart from the fact that the same was proved by me and verified by the BDHC India 5 years ago as well?

Many thanks.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:32 am

Do you have any idea about the documents which are required to be presented against UK NARIC for their validations?
Regards,
Suchi
Hi Suchita,
We have sent a request to NARIC last month for my husband and we were first required to Register online, we chose to pay the fee online, 57 something including postal charges for documents/NARIC letter to be returned. NARIC sent emails confirming registration with a Ref no and also confirmation of payment.
The documents we sent were:
1. All semester marksheets photocopies
2. Degree certificate photocopy
3. The NARIC email print
4. letter from University / College photocopy

They would take 15 working days or so...
There are also other option to pay as expected. And also an expressservice taking 48 hours and I think some 200£ fee.

I know of another person who was asked to submit her X and XII marksheets as well.

Good luck!

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the information.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:50 pm

worldpeace wrote:Hi,
I am on Tier 1 General for 5 years and now applying for ILR using same day service.
I have proved my degree was taught in English Language when I first applied for Tier1 5 years ago, by means of a letter from University. Would I required a NARICletter now, or would the same evidence supplied earlier be enough?
Anyone who recently had a similar experience please..
Thanks,
As per UKBA website
"From 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by:

You can demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOLL) in the UK by:

passing the Life in the UK test, and either
having a qualification in English at B1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), which includes assessment of speaking and listening, or
having a degree that was taught or researched in English, or
being a national of an English-speaking country.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/#

you are switching your visa category from tier 1 to ILR. you must pass life in UK and show english proficiency .

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 am

Yes, Thanks.
To demonstrate the Knowledge of Life, I have got the Life in the UK test cleared.
For Knowledge of Language, I would be presenting my University's letter stating the degree was in English language as the medium of instruction, my Degree Certificate and the printout of the PBS Calculator showing my degree is acknowledged to give me the relevant Points.
Guess this should be enough.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 am

worldpeace wrote:Yes, Thanks.
To demonstrate the Knowledge of Life, I have got the Life in the UK test cleared.
For Knowledge of Language, I would be presenting my University's letter stating the degree was in English language as the medium of instruction, my Degree Certificate and the printout of the PBS Calculator showing my degree is acknowledged to give me the relevant Points.
Guess this should be enough.

According to my knowledge UKBA accepts language certificate issued bu NARIC only. If u have all certificate from other country(India). You have to verify it by NARIC . NARIC will check ur doc and will give a certificate which shows your qualification is equivalent to CEFR C1 . Which proves that ur English is 2 level higher than UKBA requirement (CEFR B1).

I think doc u have is not written in 3 requirement of knowledge in English.
One of my friend (who had ILR 4 years back) got married 3 years ago.whose wife applied for ILR last year
She submitted English certificate issued by NARIC. Ther called UKBA to enquire about that UKBA suggest them to get it certified by NARIC .
According to UKBA website

"Degrees taught in English

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the English language part of the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement and will not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:

is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, or
was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada.
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

You will still need to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate your knowledge of life in the UK."

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 am

I think there is unnecessary confusion here. It is very clear from what I posted above from UKBA website as to the requirements now
A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English;
or
If your degree is not on the points-based calculator, an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of the qualification, and an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming your name, the title of the degree, and showing the qualification was taught in English; or
Basically if you are awarded points for english in PBS, then printout of PBS calculator is all that you need to show. If not awarded points then NARIC statement of comparability + university letter regarding medium instruction is enough. NARIC engish language assessment is not necessary if you have a university letter regarding medium of instruction and NARIC statement of comparability.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 pm

john353 wrote:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

Evidence of knowledge of Language and Life in the UK required of all settlement and naturalisation applicants

A letter confirming success in the life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either

A certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; or

A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or
A certificate from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); or
If you are awaiting graduation, or no longer have your certificate and cannot get a new one, you must send either:
an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification, that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award. The letter should also explain when the academic qualification was, or will be awarded; and state either the date (if you have not yet graduated) that the certificate will be issued, or confirms that the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award; or
an original academic transcript that is on official letter-headed paper and shows your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title, and confirmation of the award; or

Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country; or
A letter from a medical practitioner to show that you should be exempt on the grounds of poor physical and/or mental health; or
(For naturalisation applicants outside of the United Kingdom) evidence as directed by the office of the Lieutenant-Governor, the office of the Governor, the British Embassy, the British High Commission, or the British Consulate.

I have English language assessment letter from UK NARIC. Will this sufficient to fufill new KOl requirment for settlement.
do I need statement of comparability from NARIC.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:46 pm

This is more than enough. Beleive me they just see the NARIC letter and are convinced.
I appeared for my same day appointment 2 weeks ago, and got through with this.
Good luck.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:13 am

worldpeace wrote:This is more than enough. Beleive me they just see the NARIC letter and are convinced.
I appeared for my same day appointment 2 weeks ago, and got through with this.
Good luck.
Did you submit "UK NARIC statement of comparability" along with letter from university/college showing medium of instruction as english OR "UK NARIC english language assessment certificate"? I don't have statement of comparability

Statement of Comparability confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:23 am

To demonstrate Knowlege of English Language, you may either:
1. Get a NARIC letter for English Language assessment (by sending them your Marksheets, original degree and a letter from University confirming course was taught in English as a medium of Instruction)
2. Provide to the Home Office the Original degree, University Letter and PBS Calculator page showing your course/Univ is recognized and gives you required points.
2. Appear for any of the English tests listed on UKBA website to reach the required level.

I went with Option 2 for myself and option 1 for my spouse as the PBS calc doesnt work for spouse.

The Statement of Comparability from NARIC in my opinion would be to prove your Education Qualification levels comparative to a UK degree.
For KOL we just need a NARIC letter of Assessment for Language or other options from above 3, and a Life in the UK pass letter (with Invigilator's seal and signature).

Hope this helps.

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:48 am

worldpeace wrote: The Statement of Comparability from NARIC in my opinion would be to prove your Education Qualification levels comparative to a UK degree.
For KOL we just need a NARIC letter of Assessment for Language or other options from above 3, and a Life in the UK pass letter (with Invigilator's seal and signature).

Hope this helps.
I am sorry but you are wrong here. If someone's degree is taught in non-English speaking country he/she shouldn't ask for English Language Assessment certificate from NARIC as they'll not produce it. This happened to my friend. Letter of Comparability with Letter of Medium of Instruction from university is enough to prove this knowledge of English. I have confirmed this with HO. It's also documented by ukba.

Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal
speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide
appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered
automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be
required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

My friend provided two documents I mentioned above and got his ILR.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:07 pm

smartkhan wrote:
worldpeace wrote: The Statement of Comparability from NARIC in my opinion would be to prove your Education Qualification levels comparative to a UK degree.

Hope this helps.
I am sorry but you are wrong here. If someone's degree is taught in non-English speaking country he/she shouldn't ask for English Language Assessment certificate from NARIC as they'll not produce it. This happened to my friend. Letter of Comparability with Letter of Medium of Instruction from university is enough to prove this knowledge of English. I have confirmed this with HO. It's also documented by ukba.

Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal
speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide
appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered
automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be
required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

My friend provided two documents I mentioned above and got his ILR.
MR. Smarat
I m sorry but you are wrong in your first point. Any one who has degree from non English speaking country can ask for language assessment from UK NARIC by providing necessary doc. I'm very sure about this Because I applied for same and got my English language assessment certificate from NARIC yesterday .
I m confused that will it sufficient to meet new kol requirment or I have to get statement of comparatiblity as well.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Smart Khan,
I was not wrong, just didnt cover extensively the topic as I was responding to Suchita's query.
My experience is with only Degrees taught in English language as a Medium of Instruction.

For the other cases, yes you are very correct. A statement of Comparability or an English Language test would be required.

suchita02
Newly Registered

Post by suchita02 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 pm

worldpeace wrote:To demonstrate Knowlege of English Language, you may either:
1. Get a NARIC letter for English Language assessment (by sending them your Marksheets, original degree and a letter from University confirming course was taught in English as a medium of Instruction)
2. Provide to the Home Office the Original degree, University Letter and PBS Calculator page showing your course/Univ is recognized and gives you required points.
2. Appear for any of the English tests listed on UKBA website to reach the required level.

I went with Option 2 for myself and option 1 for my spouse as the PBS calc doesnt work for spouse.

The Statement of Comparability from NARIC in my opinion would be to prove your Education Qualification levels comparative to a UK degree.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for information.
Only UK NARIC English language assessment letter is enough to meet new KOL requirment for ILR.
On letter which I got from NARIC is written that we can ask for certificate of English language assessment and that cost £20 VAT +postal extra.
Do we need to get that certificate?

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 pm

suchita02 wrote: MR. Smarat
I m sorry but you are wrong in your first point. Any one who has degree from non English speaking country can ask for language assessment from UK NARIC by providing necessary doc. I'm very sure about this Because I applied for same and got my English language assessment certificate from NARIC yesterday .
I m confused that will it sufficient to meet new kol requirment or I have to get statement of comparatiblity as well.
You are lucky here. I know couple of people who didn't get the appropriate letter even they provided the full documentation NARIC wanted. They got a certificate that states Your degree was taught in English but we are not satisfied that the level was equivalent to C1. So it's a risk of losing nearly £58.

As long as someone's degree is shown in ukba calculator and giving 30 points, he/she should go for letter of comparability. Play safe.
Last edited by smartkhan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 pm

suchita02 wrote: Thanks for information.
Only UK NARIC English language assessment letter is enough to meet new KOL requirment for ILR.
On letter which I got from NARIC is written that we can ask for certificate of English language assessment and that cost £20 VAT +postal extra.
Do we need to get that certificate?
No! You don't need that certificate. As that certificate will not have any extra information.

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:31 pm

suchita02 wrote:I'm very sure about this Because I applied for same and got my English language assessment certificate from NARIC yesterday . I m confused that will it sufficient to meet new kol requirment or I have to get statement of comparatiblity as well.
If you already got English Language Assessment certificate from NARIC that clearly states that level of English was C1 then you don't need any other document to prove Knowledge of English.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:33 pm

On second thought, I think Suchita you are correct.
Even for new KOL requirement NARIC assessment is enough.
Statement of Comparability is required when you need to claim points for your qualification, although it can be used to prove Language requirements also, but if you have assessment letter it should be enough.