ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR 10 years. Applying after leaving the UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kenray92
Newly Registered

ILR 10 years. Applying after leaving the UK

Post by kenray92 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi, I am a student who has been a continuous legal resident in the UK since 2003 July.

I have not yet applied for residency since my days outside the UK during the 10 year period exceeds 540 days.

However, I would like to go on an erasmus (year abroad programme) to France next year which would start from september this year.

Is it possible to go on my year abraod, return after one year, and then apply for residency based on the 10 years I have built up in the past?

Would you reccommend I do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Re: ILR 10 years. Applying after leaving the UK

Post by Zee ali » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 pm

kenray92 wrote:Hi, I am a student who has been a continuous legal resident in the UK since 2003 July.

I have not yet applied for residency since my days outside the UK during the 10 year period exceeds 540 days.

However, I would like to go on an erasmus (year abroad programme) to France next year which would start from september this year.

Is it possible to go on my year abraod, return after one year, and then apply for residency based on the 10 years I have built up in the past?

As i gathered from your information provided that u already spent 10 years continuous legally but didn't apply ILR yet because u absent from UK for more than 540 days,
Now u want this forum help that we advise as u r going abroad for 1 year (365 days), and will eligible or not for ILR after return.

Common sense is a Greatest blessing of GOD.
That's all i can say.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

kenray92
Newly Registered

Re: ILR 10 years. Applying after leaving the UK

Post by kenray92 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Zee ali wrote:
kenray92 wrote:Hi, I am a student who has been a continuous legal resident in the UK since 2003 July.

As i gathered from your information provided that u already spent 10 years continuous legally but didn't apply ILR yet because u absent from UK for more than 540 days,
Now u want this forum help that we advise as u r going abroad for 1 year (365 days), and will eligible or not for ILR after return.

Common sense is a Greatest blessing of GOD.
That's all i can say.
yeah but theres a quote in the long residence guide which says:
"Once an applicant has built up a period of 10 years continuous lawful residence, there is no
limit on the length of time afterwards when they can apply. This means they could leave the
UK, re-enter and apply for settlement based on a 10 year period of continuous lawful
residence they built up in the past."

so i was thinking maybe it would be possible to get residency for the 10 years ive built up which would be from 2004 to 2014, not counting the year ive spent abraod?

Do they always automatically count from the date of the application?

To me these seem like fair questions for someone whose just trying to find a way of going on an erasmus programme as well as obtaining ILR.