ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work permit or working holidaymaker?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

daYZman

Work permit or working holidaymaker?

Post by daYZman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi

I hold an Australian passport and have received an offer to work at an UK university for 6 months, but I'm not so sure which visa I should apply for. Can I take a working holidaymaker visa instead of a work permit holder visa since I won't work for more than 12 months? As I'll be matriculated as a PhD student after the 6 months, can I then leave the UK and reenter using a student visa after 6 months? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:25 am

If you y for the student visa using the 6 month offer for a course, that will the time that will be granted to you onhe visa.

So, if you want to work a further 6 months after the student visa has expired, then the WHM visa would be better choice, if you qualify, as you will not have to bother with finding another reason to extend your student visa if you want to work after the initial 6 months have expired.

But mind you, you can get the WHM visa only once in your life. So plan wisely.
Jabi

daYZman

Post by daYZman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 am

Docterror wrote: So, if you want to work a further 6 months after the student visa has expired, then the WHM visa would be better choice, if you qualify, as you will not have to bother with finding another reason to extend your student visa if you want to work after the initial 6 months have expired.
Thanks for the reply. Would I actually be eligible for the WHM as my "main purpose" isn't exactly to holiday in the UK, but to work for 6 months and to prepare for my study, though my case seems to fall within the requirements for the WHM visa.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:35 pm

Well, look at it this way... If you meet the requirement, there is no certainty that you will not take an year's holiday after the first year of working is over... or atleast there is no way the ECO will know that... unless you want to be specific and knock it into his/her head and convince him that you are coming to UK only to work for the first year.

So, if you prepare yourself to think that you might take an year's vacation after the first year of work is over... you really aren't telling any untruths.

Also there is no need that the ECO should know you will definitely be doing all your working in the first year in the first place... might kindof jeopardises your application when you come to think of it, no?
Jabi