ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP-based citizenship - realistic time estimate?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mcendless
Newly Registered

HSMP-based citizenship - realistic time estimate?

Post by mcendless » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi all,

i would appreciate any feedback on how soon one can expect to gain the citizenship upon entering the UK on HSMP. The minimum seems to be 5 yrs before ILR followed by 1 yr before citizenship. Are there any hidden bumps down the road, such as US-style multiyear processing backlogs, lengthy background checks, alien number quotas and the likes? Is six yrs a realistic expectation?

TIA.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi, yes your numbers are correct. Its usually a straightforward path from ILR to citizenship and the processing time for straightforward naturalisation applications is usually 1-4 months. My own took just 3 weeks.

But a lot depends what your original citizenship is. Some attract a lot of background checks and others (eg most 'white' commonwealth countries) are pretty much waved through. There are no quotas.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

mcendless
Newly Registered

Post by mcendless » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:33 pm

Thanks a lot! I also have a question concerning my wife and my son who will be my HSMP dependants - how long will it take for them to get naturalized? I gather that my wife will need to switch to a 'spouse visa' as soon as I get my ILR and after 2 yrs she can apply for her ILR and citizenship, so she is looking to 7 yrs till her naturalization. Correct?

However, I don't have any idea on what the process and the timeline will be for my son who is now 4 y.o. and was born in the U.S (FWIW). Is he going to automatically get his ILR and citizenship together with me as my son?

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:00 pm

Your wife and son will have dependant status which gives them the same timeline as yours, ie you all apply for ILR at the same time. So your timelines will be the same. After ILR + 1 you are all eligible to apply for citizenship. So theres no need for switching of visa types - spouse visa applies to a spouse joining a UK spouse here.

All the best!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

mcendless
Newly Registered

Post by mcendless » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm

That sounds like a good news. However, the reason i asked the question is this post:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 1551#71551

which states quite the opposite. Am I mising something?

If there is a link to a UK gov't site that covers this matter, I would highly appreciate that too!