ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partner visa for Germany - does it exist

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fergusm
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner visa for Germany - does it exist

Post by fergusm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:12 pm

Hello all,

I am Irish and currently living with my girlfriend in Prague. I am actually employed in the UK and we have been living together for 2.5 yrs in London and Prague. My girlfriend is from Belarus and is coming to the end of her 1 year Czech student visa. She also has a 2 year unmarried partner visa for the UK. This was very very simple to get at the British embassy in Prague - one application form, some supporting documents and 24 hours later she had the visa!

We have decided however that Prague is not for us and we want to try again to move to our first choice - Munich. My job is in central Europe so going back to London is not an option...

My question is - given that we have all the proof in the world and she has already been issued an unmarried partner visa for the UK, can she get something similar for Germany? Is it even worth trying to do this or should we make some other plans??

If anyone has had a similar experience we would be very interested to hear them!

many thanks,
Fergus & Mila

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Unmarried partner visa for Germany - does it exist

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 pm

fergusm wrote:Hello all,

I am Irish and currently living with my girlfriend in Prague. I am actually employed in the UK and we have been living together for 2.5 yrs in London and Prague. My girlfriend is from Belarus and is coming to the end of her 1 year Czech student visa. She also has a 2 year unmarried partner visa for the UK. This was very very simple to get at the British embassy in Prague - one application form, some supporting documents and 24 hours later she had the visa!

We have decided however that Prague is not for us and we want to try again to move to our first choice - Munich. My job is in central Europe so going back to London is not an option...

My question is - given that we have all the proof in the world and she has already been issued an unmarried partner visa for the UK, can she get something similar for Germany? Is it even worth trying to do this or should we make some other plans??

If anyone has had a similar experience we would be very interested to hear them!

many thanks,
Fergus & Mila
Aga!

This is well complicated. Let's try and beak this down especially cos I've had several Baltikas....

Seems to me u've been excerising ur treaty rights by living/etc/yadayada in another EU state and with ur sub-standard Belarus babe (mines Russian and therefore superior - hehehe - Soviet domination!) anyway...

I reckon u have proof of a durable relationship, collect ur papers when thou getest to München and apply for a EEA family permit, then send me 2000 pounds.

How did u get a UK UPV when ur not British? Are u from NI and British too? Or is there some rule that binds Britain and Ireland despite the fact we hate each other? I'm entitled to say that having Irish parentage....

EEA family permit mate, eto bylo ne problema, kak dela, davai poka i udachi vam, ya govoryu po-ruskiy ne ochen horosho....

fergusm
Newly Registered

Post by fergusm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:37 pm

errrrr that clears everything up!!!

I am actually lucky (!) to have both British and Irish passports and have just been reminded by the missus that we used my Brit one for her UPV application...

So do you reckon she gets a 90 day tourist visa to move there initially and then try for this?? This is complicated as I don't want to go through the hassle of moving unless there is a very good chance of her being successful! BTW - if we were the same sex this would be much easier! Is that what the 2 grand is for - some sex adjustment procedure???

BTW - one of the guys from my office in Moscow went to Minsk the other week and came back raving about the chicks there ;-)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:01 pm

fergusm wrote:errrrr that clears everything up!!!

I am actually lucky (!) to have both British and Irish passports and have just been reminded by the missus that we used my Brit one for her UPV application...

So do you reckon she gets a 90 day tourist visa to move there initially and then try for this?? This is complicated as I don't want to go through the hassle of moving unless there is a very good chance of her being successful! BTW - if we were the same sex this would be much easier! Is that what the 2 grand is for - some sex adjustment procedure???

BTW - one of the guys from my office in Moscow went to Minsk the other week and came back raving about the chicks there ;-)
You've got mnogo routes mate, Brit one an EU one (and irish one I suppose). but since ur in Germany i rec u'd need to go EEA Family permit route, in fact id say ur UK UPV is useless in ur current situation. UK UPV is for UK only.

EEA stuff is all free tho, so just apply at ur local Ausländerbehörde I think for an EEA family permit based on ur durable relationship with Miss Minsk 1956.

I've really had too many many beers to be giving advise.

Remember this, I'm going Cyrillic now if I can find the right meta-key....

Труд Ñ

fergusm
Newly Registered

Post by fergusm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:19 pm

sounds feasible but everything I have read points to Germany not recognising unmarried partners of the same sex! Would be good to hear if anyone has been in a similar position and has been able to get an EEA Family permit

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:43 am

fergusm wrote:sounds feasible but everything I have read points to Germany not recognising unmarried partners of the same sex! Would be good to hear if anyone has been in a similar position and has been able to get an EEA Family permit
You should go to Köln, full of 'em, Gay parade tonight!!!

Anyway, u never mentioned the the same sex bit. Ok, UK UPV is not for same-sex couples, so I dunno how ur partner got that, let's not go there...

I need to think matey, po-govorim do zaftra, dood......

EU laws are pretty enlightened, so im sure you have a route, but don't rely on me, mainly cos I'm pissed, secondly cos I love russia...

I have to go bed I think!

fergusm
Newly Registered

Post by fergusm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:25 am

ok that was an unfortunate typo.... we are an opposite sex unmarried couple!!

everything I find online relating to the EEA Family permit is for the UK. Are you sure this is relevant for Germany??

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:08 pm

fergusm wrote:ok that was an unfortunate typo.... we are an opposite sex unmarried couple!!

everything I find online relating to the EEA Family permit is for the UK. Are you sure this is relevant for Germany??
Yes, it's EU-wide. Having said that I've been unable to find any info from the German authorities on this, I was thinking of chancing my arm with it since my Russian gf is on placement in Berlin and I live there too most weekends....

If you find anything, let me know!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Just found this, it's a police state!

http://germany.angloinfo.com/countries/ ... idency.asp

fergusm
Newly Registered

Post by fergusm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:23 pm

useful info but I can't find anything specific to my situation!

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Apply for family reunification visa for your partner. According to EU Directive 2004/38/EC the german authorities (as well as every other member state)are obliged to examine your request for your partner to join you and facilitate their entry.

Here's the link to the directive and take special note of Chapter 1, Article 3, especially point 2 (b).

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/sit ... 770123.pdf

fergusm
Newly Registered

Post by fergusm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Interesting and it seems clear that my partner qualifies.

What would be the best way of going about this? I think we have 3 options:

1. Apply for residency on the basis of this here in the Czech Republic

2. Apply in London (where I have a permanent residence and my girlfriend already has a UK unmarried partner visa)

3. My girlfriend gets a 90 day tourist visa for Germany and we apply when we arrive in Munich.

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:27 am

Suppose it will be best to apply for a family reunification visa at the german consulate in the country you are currently residing in. And do make reference to Directive 2004/38.
Good luck