ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing locations after ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

grass12
Newly Registered

Changing locations after ILR

Post by grass12 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi everyone just a couple of questions

I was granted my ILR a couple of months ago b4 finding out my spouse cheated. I have been staying with a friend since and my spouse have been threatening to have my LIR revoked and now I plan on moving closer to London to stay with my aunt that lives out there and hopefully try to get some stability for a while

I will be employed in my aunts fast food place and wanted to know if I needed to inform the UKBA of this change or will the HMRC do this. I am a bit naive as to what I need to inform them or not as I don't want there to be a case where my spouse is vindictive and tell them something that's his version of the truth. I've been getting so many feedback from friends etc and it's all very confusing.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds

Manka10

Re: Changing locations after ILR

Post by Manka10 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Once you get your ILR, breakdown of a relationship means nothing even if you achieved your ILR on the basis of a subsisting relationship at the time of application

Threats of revoking ILR by the main applicant are just hogwash and you do not have to inform anyone
Manka

4uvak000

Post by 4uvak000 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:48 pm

I suppose you have Biometric Residence Permit. In BRP leaflet you received with your BRP card it says you must notify Home Office about change of your address (well at least it says in mine). You can do it via e-mail - it is in the same leaflet. After you received ILR your spouse can do nothing about your visa. You are not dependent anymore (I suppose you were on spouse visa) so relax and get on with your own life. But inform them about your address change. You spouse can inform HO that you have changed your address - than it might be a problem (I am not sure what they can do - they say they can change your ILR to limited leave to remain or something - I am not sure). It is better not to risk it, but inform them so you can peacefully sleep at night. It seems that my post contradicts to what Manka10 says. Could seniors tell us the truth please? I only read what it says in the leaflet came together with my ILR. My friend told me also that there is no need to inform them. But I only trust to what law or Rules say and nothing else. So far I could not find anything in rules. For me ILR is the same visa as all other visas only without restrictions. And I assume, ILR holders are still in HO data base and will leave the data base when they will receive BC only. Therefore they still need to update HO if their circumstances (name, address etc) has changed. I might be wrong. Correct me if this is the case.
Last edited by 4uvak000 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:53 pm

It is not necessary to inform UKBA if you change you address everytime. It is normal that people move.

ILR can only be revoked if deception was used. You are effectively free of dependence on your spouse.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

grass12
Newly Registered

Post by grass12 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 pm

4uvak000 wrote:I suppose you have Biometric Residence Permit. In BRP leaflet you received with your BRP card it says you must notify Home Office about change of your address (well at least it says in mine). You can do it via e-mail - it is in the same leaflet. After you received ILR your spouse can do nothing about your visa. You are not dependent anymore (I suppose you were on spouse visa) so relax and get on with your own life. But inform them about your address change. You spouse can inform HO that you have changed your address - than it might be a problem (I am not sure what they can do - they say they can change your ILR to limited leave to remain or something - I am not sure). It is better not to risk it, but inform them so you can peacefully sleep at night. It seems that my post contradicts to what Manka10 says. Could seniors tell us the truth please? I only read what it says in the leaflet came together with my ILR. My friend told me also that there is no need to inform them. But I only trust to what law or Rules say and nothing else. So far I could not find anything in rules. For me ILR is the same visa as all other visas only without restrictions. And I assume, ILR holders are still in HO data base and will leave the data base when they will receive BC only. Therefore they still need to update HO if their circumstances (name, address etc) has changed. I might be wrong. Correct me if this is the case.
Hey thanx for responding. When u mentioned change of address on the ILR letter I looked at mine and I didn't see that I had to inform them of change in address. I ended up going back to my FLRM letter and saw that I had to notify them if both my spouse and i moved then but not ILR.

I ended up phoning and attorney as i was so erratic and they told me I don't need to inform the UKBA of change of address after ILR should have listened to CR001 from the start. I'm just a bit nervous about naturalisation when I do it on my own now.

4uvak000

Post by 4uvak000 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks for that. So it seems that they have different conditions for different applicants. I have received my ILR on the basis of 10 years lawful residence in the UK. So this might be the reason of different requirements. My friend, whom I mentioned previously, insisted that there is no requirement to inform HO about the change of the address. She is a spouse of BC and probably she has got the same letter and leaflet as you have - without the requirement. So we were arguing for half an hour over the phone last week everyone trying to prove that he is right. She could not find her HO letter and leaflet though. In the leaflet I received in section "What else should I tell you about?" 5.1. it says: "You should tell us if you change your address..." It says nothing about the change of address in the letter though. Sorry for misleading you at the very beginning.