ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How much INR can I carry with me

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

3sppandey
Newly Registered

How much INR can I carry with me

Post by 3sppandey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:15 am

Hi,

Travelling to India this weekend. Some time back I had read the news that according to RBI governor Rajhurajan 'you cant carry any cash INR when travelling to India, you can only get it exchanged at the airports'. This policy was put in place to curb black money and fak notes getting into India.

Now there is a article in TOI newspaper that anything over 10000INR has to be declared to customs as per new forms.!!!

Can someone tell me what is policy here. I just want to carry some money in cash with me (less than 10000INR), can I do it or not..??

Can someoen pls share their experience if someone has recently travelled or heard anything about carrying a bit of INR with them to India.

Thanks

ban.s

Re: How much INR can I carry with me

Post by ban.s » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 am

Indian Rupee is not a fully convertible currency hence non resident indians and foreigners are not allowed to carry rupee outside india. this is not a new policy - it is in place for many years. Due to this you won't find any overseas forex dealer exchanging indian rupee.
So official the answer is nil. If you are a foreigner or NRI, then you can't carry INR. However the policy not actively enforced. There is not even any forex bureau inside departure halls to convert INR to foreign currency.
Resident indians are however allowed to carry upto 7500/- (?) during overseas travel.

3sppandey
Newly Registered

Post by 3sppandey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm

ban.s wrote:Indian Rupee is not a fully convertible currency hence non resident indians and foreigners are not allowed to carry rupee outside india. this is not a new policy - it is in place for many years. Due to this you won't find any overseas forex dealer exchanging indian rupee.
So official the answer is nil. If you are a foreigner or NRI, then you can't carry INR. However the policy not actively enforced. There is not even any forex bureau inside departure halls to convert INR to foreign currency.
Resident indians are however allowed to carry upto 7500/- (?) during overseas travel.
Thanks for your reply.

My question was to do with carrying INR TO India not from India to overseas. I already have the INR with me..can I take it to India..?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:11 pm

well, carrying INR outside india is not allowed; it's not even available for purchase with overseas forex dealers.
how can you legally bring INR back to india?

ps: though customs can technically fine you or seize the cash but such actions are very rare especially if one is carry fairly small amount of money.

ninjago
Newly Registered

Post by ninjago » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:26 am

There is so much conflicting information on this topic. Here is the latest that I found from my internet search. Can anyone confirm if the rules have changed?

http://www.livemint.com/Money/xlZJZ0JJQ ... broad.html