ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"Leeway" on the English as Lang of Instruction?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blt178
Newly Registered

"Leeway" on the English as Lang of Instruction?

Post by blt178 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:53 am

I'm helping my husband organize the materials for his application and JUST now saw that the letter he received from the University ONLY states this:

"To whom it may concern
This is to certify that:
English is the language of instruction and examination at the University of Saskatchewan."

It is on official letterhead and is signed and stamped by the University Registrar... it is from a Canadian University as well.

I know this isn't even remotely close to the types of letters I've seen in these forums...

Is this likely to get rejected? Should I get him to request a new letter? (We'd like to get the application off before the end of July!)

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 am

It seems to me that you have time to re-request a letter from the university, stipulating exactly what should be in the letter (language of instruction for x degree, conferred on y date, on person z). In my case, I drafted the letter for the dean's office and emailed it to them to sign. While there might be a chance that the application would go through with a non-specific letter about the language of instruction, gambling on leeway may prove to be a GBP400 mistake.
AG

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:52 am

The letter that you have received will not suffice. As gordon has suggested, you need to get a letter as per the desired format. The HSMP guidelines clearly mention that there are certain items, like name of the applicant, name of the awarding body, degree, date of award and the fact that the degree has actually been conferred/awarded, which should be mentioned on the letter. In absence of the same, the application will be rejected.

regards,

push_hsmp

PounceQuick

Post by PounceQuick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:51 pm

Get a new letter that says the name, degree awarded and date awarded. Mine only had the course completion date (this is from an Australian university) but I still requested a letter with the date awarded clearly spelled out.

Although I did my degree in an English speaking country in a university that only offer English as the teaching medium, this is the proof that the case worker is looking.

This is all silly I know.

blt178
Newly Registered

Post by blt178 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Ok, I guess I know what I have to do. :)
Just thought I'd get some external opinions in case someone else had used something similar in an application.

Thanks!
~b

gordon

Post by gordon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm

And so someone has, with the expected negative result; a cautionary example:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ght=#99848

blt178
Newly Registered

Post by blt178 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 pm

Yikes. Good thing I ordered a new letter from the University! Hoping to see it early next week so i can get this application out the door! :)

Thanks for the help everyone!