ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

On ILR - British passport or Indian passport for baby?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Niharika
Newly Registered

On ILR - British passport or Indian passport for baby?

Post by Niharika » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi,
Me and my husband are both on ILR since Sep 2012. We have had a baby 3 months back. We now need to go to India as soon as possible due to personal reasons - for a short period of time. Just wanted to know what options we have for our daughter's passport /visa. Whether we should apply for Indian passport or apply for a British passport and get Indian visa on that? What would be the fastest option? Also, is it necessary to register our daughter as a British citizen before we apply for a British passport? Could anybody help please...

Thanks in advance.

ban.s

Re: On ILR - British passport or Indian passport for baby?

Post by ban.s » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:43 pm

The child is British by birth and eligible for British passport. She is also eligible for registration as Indian citizenship by descent and can apply for indian passport. However in the latter option you need to get Right of Abode certificate to bring her back into UK.

I would apply for BP and then Indian visa for travel.

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Thank you for your reply ban.s.

Please could you also let me know which Indian visa should we apply for- entry visa or tourist visa? What will be the quicker and straight forward option as we have to travel really soon i.e., within a month.

Thanks in advance.

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 pm

you can apply long term entry visa for baby . Long term entry visa is given for 5 years.

pls check below link :

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/longterm.html
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 pm

This links suggests that she needs documentation issued in her name by the govt of India or surrender certificate of Indian passport in order to apply for a long term visa, but we do not have any of this. Would that be an issue? Also do know how much time PIO or long term entry visa process takes?

Thank you.

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Niharika wrote:This links suggests that she needs documentation issued in her name by the govt of India or surrender certificate of Indian passport in order to apply for a long term visa, but we do not have any of this. Would that be an issue? Also do know how much time PIO or long term entry visa process takes?

Thank you.

PIO takes almost 25days. Visa takes 3-5 working days.

Visa check list as per the link :

For Minor Child (Under 16 Years of age)

A copy of the child’s birth certificate showing both the parents names.
Consent letter addressed to the HCI, London OR its respective consulates signed by both the parents.
Photocopy of Parent’s passports along with the copy of their current Indian Visa, if already holding one. If parents are Indian citizens, copy of the resident status in the UK would be required.
In case of Divorce, Child Custody Letter from court in respect of the child is required.
In case of Single Parent, Solicitor’s Letter and Child Benefit letter will be required.
In case of Minor’s Application/Declaration either of the parents can sign the application/declaration form.

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 am

Thank you for the information kiranchinnu.

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:12 am

Hi,
What is the difference between PIO, long term entry visa and a tourist visa? What would be the best option in terms of time and cost?

Thanks in advance.

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:40 pm

follow this link for visas information :

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/aboutyourvisas.html

for PIO pls check this link

https://www.hcilondon.in/pio.html

your baby is not eligible for OCI . So , only 2 options Visa or PIO.

PIO takes alteast 25 days , short term or long term visa takes 5 days . I would suggest PIO but if you dont have time apply long term visa and then apply PIO when you have enough time to do.

hope this helps.

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Thank you kiranchinnu for the reply.
I called the passport office to take appointment to apply for a British passport. However, they are asking for the certificate of registration or naturalisation for the baby. Me and my husband both were on ILR when our daughter was born which means that she should be a British citizen by birth. So I am just wondering what should be our next step now. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Niharika wrote:Thank you kiranchinnu for the reply.
I called the passport office to take appointment to apply for a British passport. However, they are asking for the certificate of registration or naturalisation for the baby. Me and my husband both were on ILR when our daughter was born which means that she should be a British citizen by birth. So I am just wondering what should be our next step now. Has anyone else been in the same situation?
Your absolutely right . You don't need register ur baby as British Citizen . May that advisor got it wrong. Try once again.

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks a lot!

CD_April2013ILR

Post by CD_April2013ILR » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Niharika,

I am in same situation as you last year. I applied directly for british passport for my son.

Goto post office take a passport application. Send the filled passport application with below documents attached
1) Baby Photos
2) Baby Birth Certificate
3) Parent Passports
4) Parents ILR cards
5) Marriage Certificate
6) Baby Grand Parents details in a white paper

Best of luck

Regards

Niharika
Newly Registered

Post by Niharika » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Many thanks CD_April2013ILR.

We have already applied for the passport today with the documents that you have listed. Lets see when we receive it.

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

kiranchinnu wrote:
Niharika wrote:This links suggests that she needs documentation issued in her name by the govt of India or surrender certificate of Indian passport in order to apply for a long term visa, but we do not have any of this. Would that be an issue? Also do know how much time PIO or long term entry visa process takes?

Thank you.

PIO takes almost 25days. Visa takes 3-5 working days.

Visa check list as per the link :

For Minor Child (Under 16 Years of age)

A copy of the child’s birth certificate showing both the parents names.
Consent letter addressed to the HCI, London OR its respective consulates signed by both the parents.
Photocopy of Parent’s passports along with the copy of their current Indian Visa, if already holding one. If parents are Indian citizens, copy of the resident status in the UK would be required.
In case of Divorce, Child Custody Letter from court in respect of the child is required.
In case of Single Parent, Solicitor’s Letter and Child Benefit letter will be required.
In case of Minor’s Application/Declaration either of the parents can sign the application/declaration form.
Hi Kiranchinnu,

Do you know what documentation is required for a PIO for a minor in the case of a divorce as I can't provide,
father's signature, passport copies or originals. The website doesn't seem to say anything on it.

I have a Residence Order for my child from the UK court. Would that be accepted in the Indian embassy?

For long term entry visa it seems to have mentioned child custody document.

Regards,