ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone HELP!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

candy67
Newly Registered

Anyone HELP!

Post by candy67 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi there, i came to uk in 1971 with my british mother to settle, had ILR in previous passport which was lost a few years back, have new usa pasport but applied for stamp and big fat NO twice so now one sop warning, sign on at police station, may be detained etc, have now realised that i can apply for british citizenship from having british mother even though i was born in usa, and am filling out british citizen forms..................my mother passed away last year and the one thing they are asking for is her passport! my mothers last passport was issued many years ago and hasnt been found, anyone else got similar story or experience??? any help or advice appreciated :oops:

Just Wondering

Re: Anyone HELP!

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 am

candy67 wrote:Hi there, i came to uk in 1971 with my british mother to settle, had ILR in previous passport which was lost a few years back, have new usa pasport but applied for stamp and big fat NO twice so now one sop warning, sign on at police station, may be detained etc, have now realised that i can apply for british citizenship from having british mother even though i was born in usa, and am filling out british citizen forms..................my mother passed away last year and the one thing they are asking for is her passport! my mothers last passport was issued many years ago and hasnt been found, anyone else got similar story or experience??? any help or advice appreciated :oops:
I am sorry about the loss of your mother.

You came to the UK with your mother in 1971. What year did you obtain ILR? Where do you live now? If you do not live in the UK, what year did you leave the UK? What form are you filling out? Form AN?

candy67
Newly Registered

Post by candy67 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am

Hi there, i came here in 71 as a four year old, and somewhere along the line in childhood i mustve had ILR, as i can remember seeing the stamp in a previous passport, these things were never discussed with my mother,unfortunately i applied for a job in 2011, who wanted my visa stamp and only then in my renewed passport did i realise i didnt have one, applied quickly and was told i didnt have enuf evidence, ive gone to school and lived and worked here for 42 years! my infants and junior schools closed, and my senior school dont hold records, there is apparently NO record of my previous ILR as the home office tell me they dont have paper records that far back!! believe me ive even tried the national archive! there is nothing! ive lived in the Devon area all my life i was told to fill out form UKM, apparently for children born abroad to a british mother before 1983, but it can take 6 months, and i dont know wether i should also appeal the stamp at the same time????????????????? i only have 9 days to decide :cry:

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:23 pm

See also similar problem.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:46 am

Vinny's thread is a good read, and there are some very good tips on what to do to gather the evidence.

You can submit a SAR (Subject Access Request) to UKBA and they will provide the information/documents that they hold on you. I would recommend doing this. They hold a lot more information on people than people realize.

In parallel, you can fill in and submit Form UKM. While I appreciate the Guidance states you need to submit your mother's passport, the case working instructions provides more detail about what evidence you can submit: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

UKM registrations can take up to 6 months to be decided, but many are decided well within that time period. It is also worthwhile because once you register and take the oath, you're a citizen. This eliminates all the ILR malarkey.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:33 am

If your mother was British otherwise than by descent at the time of your birth, then you should be entitled to register.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 am

If you opened a bank account many years ago, they may have copies of your passport, taken for ID, might be worth a try? The same for university, if you went to one.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

candy67
Newly Registered

ilr 42 years in uk

Post by candy67 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi all and thanks for everyones advice so far x well ive sent off my appeal and everything i can think of to prove everything like everyone does and now say here very scared and nervous, its a long story but i cant prove my 20 year residency here as it started in 1971, mother deceased, american father deceased, lost passport with ILR, got new passport, didnt even think about stamp until i went for job in 2011, and have been trying since! managed to get some school records and letters from people whove known me since 1977, etc etc, i,m engaged to a british citizen but dont live together, explained that hes being treated for leukaemia, have three british children 21, and twins of 18, tried to get parent grounds and they said i didnt mention in letter last time that they still live with me and are not independant ! well now i have told them with proof......what are my chances of parent grounds???????????????? and any other advice :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

vinny

Re: ilr 42 years in uk

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Assuming your mother was born in the UK, try getting her full birth certificate, as an alternative to her passport.

candy67
Newly Registered

Post by candy67 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:31 pm

thank you yes ive sent that for my british citizenship request, i also have and ilr appeal sent in!! not sure where its gonna get me ??

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Where was your mother born?

candy67
Newly Registered

Post by candy67 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:35 pm

she was born in uk in 1928, devon uk. Because i was born to her before 1981, (1967) and i have her birth and my birth in usa showing her as my mother, will this be enough????? i,m just hoping they dont ask for ilr stamp or abode proof as i,m appealing the ilr too
~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a bloody minefield, cant believe ive been here 42 years, married owned a house, lost a house , divorced had three lovely kids, best mum ever passed away (86, alzheimers), ALL my american family gone, and i,m sat here in little old devon trying to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my friends and family cant believe its happening :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: i,m getting more ill by the second, taking antidepressants etc, want this all to end :cry: :cry: :cry:

candy67
Newly Registered

Post by candy67 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 pm

anyone???

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm

If you have already made the registration application or NTL application, then be patient for their replies.

candy67
Newly Registered

Post by candy67 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I know, thank you vinny xjust very anxious :?