ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CAn I skip 1 year? (Apply after 5 years in the UK)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ieroglif
Newly Registered

CAn I skip 1 year? (Apply after 5 years in the UK)

Post by ieroglif » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 am

Hi there.

I am Russian married to Irish citizen. We've been married since 2008 and been living in the UK for the last 5 years. On the 15th March 2014 it is going to be exactly 5 years since I came to live in the UK. My Residency Card of a Family Member of EEA expiers in November 2014. My husband is entitled to apply for a British passport as he was born in Northen Ireland.

The question is:
If we wait until 15th March 2014 (my 5 years in the UK) and my husband applies and gets his British passport shortly after, can I then apply for Naturalisation as a British citizen straight away without having to wait until 15th March 2015 (6 years in the UK) ?

Thank you.

Irene

harry7476

Re: CAn I skip 1 year? (Apply after 5 years in the UK)

Post by harry7476 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 pm

If your husband gets his citizenship then you can apply as spouse of BC as long as you have been here for at least last 3 years. There is no need to wait for 5+1 in your case.