ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

VISA Help for Albanian Partner.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

KellyWelly29
Newly Registered

VISA Help for Albanian Partner.

Post by KellyWelly29 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

My partner of nearly two years is an Albanian, living in Albania with an Albanian passport. I have spent time in Albania with his family, but we would like for him to visit the UK for a short time so that he can see what it's like here before we make any decisions about what to do for our future and where to live.

I've been looking through lots of information on the UK Border agency site, and anywhere else I can find - I also visited the British Embassy on my last visit to Albania but didn't have much luck in getting information on what was the best thing to do. We have not yet decided on marriage, so applying for a fiancé visa is not really applicable but I was worried that he wouldn't be accepted as a general visitor due to our relationship and any concerns around him not returning etc.

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: VISA Help for Albanian Partner.

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am

He's unlikely to be granted a visitor visa unless he can show strong reasons for his return to Albania...such as ownership of property, ongoing employment, dependent relatives etc. The fact that he has a girlfriend in the UK is likely to flag up a potential overstay.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

KellyWelly29
Newly Registered

Post by KellyWelly29 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Throughout the summer he works in Greece, and every year returns to Albania because his family are there and his parents are elderly, but he doesn't have work or property in Albania so that may not go in our favour.

We have previously talked about marriage and we know we want to spend our lives together (we just aren't sure where), so would it be best to get engaged and then apply for the fiancé visa?

I've been looking at getting a solicitor to help, but still unclear on what the best way to apply to give us the best chance would be.

Thank you.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:46 am

A fiancee visa a) requires you to show evidence of plans to get married and b) costs £851. For an experiment to see if he likes it - that's a heck of a commitment.

If he's really just wanting a visit - then a visitor visa is the way to go - just show as many commitments to Albania or where ever he currently is as possible.