ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need some advice Urgently!!!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hyounis
Newly Registered

Need some advice Urgently!!!

Post by hyounis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:00 pm

My wife came to the UK on a spouse Visa in November 2011. We have since been trying to get her onto the Esol course for a college near us so that she can go there without any issues as she is not able to travel long distance on her own using public transport. Also I have work commitments therefore I would be unable to take her.

The college has ensured us that she will get a place however she is still on the waiting list. To cut the long story we've just realized her Visa has expired and she has overstayed by two months. Would this cause an issue?

I've read she need to extend her visa as ILR is out of the question for the time being. Does she need to meet the English language requirements for her visa to be extended?

Please advise on what our options are.

Thanks.

vinny

Re: Need some advice Urgently!!!

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Do not attempt to extend (284(iv) and transitional provisions and E-LTRP.2.2 fail).

Apply (by post) for SET(M) as soon as she is eligible (KOLL and adequate accommodation and maintenance, etc., required).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hyounis
Newly Registered

Post by hyounis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 am

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Does my wife need to apply for FLRM in the meantime till she meets the KOLL requirements and does FLRM require her to meet the KOLL requirements first?

Her Visa has expired and I'm not sure what we should do.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:48 am

No do not apply for FLR(M) it'll be refused, unless you'd apply within 28 days of the leave expiring.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

hyounis
Newly Registered

Post by hyounis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 am

Is there anything we can do in the meantime apart from applying for SETM?

I was planning on a holiday later this year but my wife will not be able to go on an expired Visa.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am

What you can do in the mean time is to stop thinking about holidays and focus on sorting out your spouse immigration status.

Follow the advice given by Vinny and Amber and make this a TOP priority.

Take time off from your workplace, take her to a different college to get the English Language test done and send the SET (M) application along with required documentation by post ASAP.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am

lynxukauq wrote:What you can do in the mean time is to stop thinking about holidays and focus on sorting out your spouse immigration status.

Follow the advice given by Vinny and Amber and make this a TOP priority.

Take time off from your workplace, take her to a different college to get the English Language test done and send the SET (M) application along with required documentation by post ASAP.
+1

The longer this drags on the more difficult it will be.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

hyounis
Newly Registered

Post by hyounis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:13 am

In regards to applying for ILR. Does my wife need to do Esol qualification or does she need to do Life in the Uk test as well? I'm a little confused on this as I was told under the old rules its just Esol speaking and listing and under new rules its both. I've looked at the SETM application form and you just tick what you have achieved and no mention of exemption under the old rules.

Please can you clarify.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Unfortunately the requirements changed (click) on 28 October 2013.

You will have to now meet both knowledge of language and LIUK requirement unless exempted (click).

hyounis
Newly Registered

Post by hyounis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Thank you all for your input, the information you have provided has been very valuable to me.

The only issue I have now is, once my wife passes the KOLL requirements we will be stuck with providing proof of cohabitation since all correspondence is on my name. It didn't occur to me this was required. My wife only has a few letters from NHS since she arrived and a few from the College regarding her being on the waiting list for Esol classes.

I think we will come to a dead end again but will cross that bridge when we get there.

hyounis
Newly Registered

Post by hyounis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 am

I enquired about esol classes at one centre and was told that Esol course with citizenship is no longer taught as the requirements have changed. I was told those who's english is below entry level must do B1 and then sit the life in the UK test.

Online most colleges are still advertising esol with Citizenship course for those with not so good english and life in the Uk test for only highly skilled migrants. Can anyone confirm which is true for those who do not speak good english?

Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:29 am

BI and the Life in the UK Test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

hyounis
Newly Registered

Post by hyounis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:35 am

Thank you.