ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment status of wife as company secretary/shareholder

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

utopia
Newly Registered

Employment status of wife as company secretary/shareholder

Post by utopia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi,

I am due to apply for British citizenship for myself and my family in the next few weeks. I work as an IT contractor through my own public limited company of which I am the director and my wife a company secretary.

My wife has a UK national insurance number and she receives the following incomes through the company:

A) Monthly salary as company secretary.
B) 50% of the dividends as an equal share holder in the company

She has been receiving these incomes since January 2013

For the purpose of sections 3.1 (what is your occupation) and 3.2 (are you an employee/business partner/self-employed/director) of her naturalization application form (FORM AN - Application for naturalisation as a British citizen) what should be our answers? Is it OK to state that her occupation is "Company Secretary" and that she is an employee? Or should I put it as Company Secretary / self-employed?

I am utterly confused here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Utopia

licosis
Newly Registered

Re: Employment status of wife as company secretary/sharehold

Post by licosis » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:51 pm

3.1 Company Secretary
3.2 an employee
3.3 your company name
3.4 your company address
3.5 your company's Employer reference number. e.g. 999/XX99999, check the link below:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/information/ ... Ereference

utopia wrote:Hi,

I am due to apply for British citizenship for myself and my family in the next few weeks. I work as an IT contractor through my own public limited company of which I am the director and my wife a company secretary.

My wife has a UK national insurance number and she receives the following incomes through the company:

A) Monthly salary as company secretary.
B) 50% of the dividends as an equal share holder in the company

She has been receiving these incomes since January 2013

For the purpose of sections 3.1 (what is your occupation) and 3.2 (are you an employee/business partner/self-employed/director) of her naturalization application form (FORM AN - Application for naturalisation as a British citizen) what should be our answers? Is it OK to state that her occupation is "Company Secretary" and that she is an employee? Or should I put it as Company Secretary / self-employed?

I am utterly confused here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Utopia

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Employment status of wife as company secretary/sharehold

Post by milan69 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:56 pm

If self employed she would need to disclose self assessment form as she would have one.
Check with senior members but if company pays your wife's tax and NI contribution and with her position as company secretary I would almost certainly consider her as employed.
I am sometimes wrong.