ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIER 2 VISA APPLICATION AND UK NARIC IMPORTANCE

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nikhil1981
Newly Registered

TIER 2 VISA APPLICATION AND UK NARIC IMPORTANCE

Post by nikhil1981 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 am

Hi,
I wanted to know the importance of the UK NARIC acknowledgment of my Indian certificates as equivalent to UK for the English Language requirement. I have checked the Point Based system on the UKBA website which gives me points for both my wife and my education but i am not sure if this will suffice when my application goes for approval. I would like to know the following :
1. Is it mandatory to get either an UK NARIC letter or an English Language Test score for the English Language Requirement ?
2. If yes, then how to go about the UK NARIC( appreciate if personal experiences can be shared ) and English Language Test.

Thanks
Nikhil

trueblue19
United Kingdom

Re: TIER 2 VISA APPLICATION AND UK NARIC IMPORTANCE

Post by trueblue19 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 pm

English language fluency is one of the mandatory requirements for a Tier 2 General Visa. You will be awarded 10 points for English Language fluency by successfully showcasing EITHER of the following:

1. Be a resident of majority English-speaking country (Check the list here - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator). Assuming you will be filing for the visa from India, this option does not apply to you in all probability.

OR

2. Provide evidence of holding a degree which is equivalent to (or higher than) UK Bachelors degree. Please use the points calculator to find out if your degree is approved by NARIC as being equivalent to UK Bachelors degree. Points Calculator is on the top right-hand corner of this page - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator. As you click through this calculator, and reach the English language requirements page, it will show an option of selecting your course, country, university and so on. If the University/Course you were taught at/in, appears in this list, your qualifications are good to go (Going by your post, I think you've already done this).

You will need to provide the original degree certificate and mark sheets when you apply for the visa. In certain cases however, UKBA may ask you to provide further evidence in form of an attested affidavit from the University confirming the course details and other specifics (Type, Duration, When was the degree awarded etc).

Please note that NARIC is a UK agency which provides expert opinion on your qualifications and their equivalence to UK degree.

OR

3. The third way to secure 10 points is by giving an IELTS Exam in India (or English language test). Assuming you are applying from India, you can appear for an IELTS exam through one of the two designated organizations - British Council OR IDP India. Exams are held usually on a weekend at an exam center. You need to book for an exam online. Slots are usually booked in advance and may be available for a date which is probably 6 weeks from today.

Once you appear for the exam, the physical certificate is sent by post to your address. You can check your score online after 11 days of sitting for the exam. When applying for your visa, you will need to provide your IELTS reference number, name and passport number in the entry clearance application. You are NOT required to send the physical certificate to UKBA (Earlier, It was mandatory to send the Physical original certificate along with the visa application however UKBA has changed this rule in the recent past).

You need to score a minimum band score of 4 out of 9 for each aspect of the test (Listening, Reading, Writing & Verbal). If you have a good grasp on the language, you do not need to study for the exam (This is just my personal opinion. I did not study and only prepared by taking 2 sample tests online and scored an average of 8.5 out of 9). As I have mentioned, it will be helpful to get acclimatised with the format of the IELTS exam. There are several test samples available online for free.

Considering your circumstances, Option 2 maybe the best fit for you. If I were you, I would get my degree certificate attested, get hold of an affidavit issued by the University, and provide it along with the application.

Hope this information helps you.

Cheers.

nikhil1981
Newly Registered

Post by nikhil1981 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:56 am

Thanks Trueblue19

Appreciate your detailed response. Just one clarification. The point mentioned below by you, requiring degree attestation via university. I am not sure the university will provide me an affidavit as I have passed out around 9 years back, as well as I am not in the same town as my university to push this matter.
Can I get the attestation done by myself by a notary ? Would that suffice?
or in a circumstance that I cannot the above done will the UK NARIC letter approving my education would be fine ?

Considering your circumstances, Option 2 maybe the best fit for you. If I were you, I would get my degree certificate attested, get hold of an affidavit issued by the University, and provide it along with the application.

Thanks
Nik

daya.a.desai

Post by daya.a.desai » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 am

Hi ,
I had applied for dependent visa and received my visa today.
I submitted my degree certificate along with the English point based calculator results from UKBA (by selecting my university, course and Year of award etc) while applying.

I don't think they would ask for an attested copy. I did not submit any copy. I was told that UK Visa council only asks for originals.

PBS Dependent need not take IELTS exam.

Thanks,
Daya

trueblue19
United Kingdom

Post by trueblue19 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:05 am

nikhil1981 wrote:Thanks Trueblue19

Appreciate your detailed response. Just one clarification. The point mentioned below by you, requiring degree attestation via university. I am not sure the university will provide me an affidavit as I have passed out around 9 years back, as well as I am not in the same town as my university to push this matter.
Can I get the attestation done by myself by a notary ? Would that suffice?
or in a circumstance that I cannot the above done will the UK NARIC letter approving my education would be fine ?

Thanks
Nik

Yes, almost in all cases, the NARIC acceptance or accreditation is fine. There are odd occasions where UKBA does ask for attestation or an affidavit from University. Just submit the originals and a copy of the PBS calculator + the details of the page which shows your course and qualification eligible for the applicable points.

DAMPAAJI
Newly Registered

Post by DAMPAAJI » Sat May 23, 2015 5:14 am

Hi all

I have got a UK naric certificate of English language assessment of level c1 and above for my degree.

However on PBs calculator my degree scores 0. I am already on teir 2 general and will be changing employer in UK. How do I approach this situation.

Will they accept this as English language assessment?

Thanks in advance for your help.