ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to surrender Indian Passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bbkaran

Post by bbkaran » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 am

1) Do I have to surrender my Indian Passport as soon as I become British Citizen? Or
2) As soon as I receive my British Passport?

I am trying to plan the gap between British citizenship and British passport and hence Indian visas to travel to India.

Thanks

bbkaran

boloney

Re: When to surrender Indian Passport?

Post by boloney » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 am

bbkaran wrote:1) Do I have to surrender my Indian Passport as soon as I become British Citizen? Or

I am trying to plan the gap between British citizenship and British passport and hence Indian visas to travel to India.

Thanks

bbkaran

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:09 am

boloney wrote:1
Not quite correct. There is a three months period the Indian Government allows to continue travelling on Indian passport (see here for a nice and concise summary, especially section 3). So the correct answer would be "3: within three months of becoming a British Citizen". Since getting your first British passport will usually take less than 2 months, this period of grace will not leave you without a valid passport at any time.

kishorek

Post by kishorek » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Please Note: The date on the Naturalisation Certificate will be treated as date of acquiring foreign nationality and not from the date the British Passport was issued.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 pm

bbkaran wrote:1) Do I have to surrender my Indian Passport as soon as I become British Citizen? Or

Thanks

bbkaran
I would suggest you do it earlier rather than later. Please bear in mind that it's a legal requirement for you to surrender your Indian passport upon acquiring a foreign citizenship.

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Do I get penalised for travelling on a Indian passport during this period?

Secondly my Indian passports are with UK passport office and I have to travel due to an emergency back home. Does anyone know what the passport office will do in my circumstance?

If they abandon my application then travel plans in April get messed up and if they don't give my documents back I cannot travel not to attend to the emergency.. It's all stressful..