ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acquiring US citizenship during Canadian PR process

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cancc
Newly Registered

Acquiring US citizenship during Canadian PR process

Post by cancc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 am

My background: I am an Indian citizen, and have been a US permanent resident for more than 6 years. Even though I am eligible to apply for citizenship now, I haven't done so yet. In the meantime I applied for Canadian PR in July 2006 and have just received the request for medical exams and FBI records.

As I understand it, if I do the medicals now I will have to land in Canada as a PR by around this time next year (assuming I get the PR visa by then). Although I am eager to move to Canada I am also concerned about losing my US GC as a result and not being able to visit the US without going through visa and other immigration hassles. I suppose the best thing to do would be to apply for citizenship before I move to Canada. That would also be a good fallback if Canada doesn't work out for some reason. My question though is: can I apply for US citizenship now without affecting the Canadian PR process? I supplied my Indian passport information to them during the application process. If I become a US citizen before they ask for my passport for visa stamping, would it be OK to give them my Indian passport? Or do I have to notify them of my new citizenship and give them a US passport? Would that cause problems with the PR process?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:47 am

Canncc:

Congratulations on your medical request. I will try to answer your questions as best as I can
My question though is: can I apply for US citizenship now without affecting the Canadian PR process?

Your two applications are independent of each other and the Canadian's do not care less (excuse my language) so long as you have legal status. So the answer is a big YES!
I supplied my Indian passport information to them during the application process. If I become a US citizen before they ask for my passport for visa stamping, would it be OK to give them my Indian passport?

You can do either. You can have your PR visa stamped in your India passport and it would be okay. But bear in mind that, you can only exit and reenter the US on your US passport if it is acquired before your PR.
Or do I have to notify them of my new citizenship and give them a US passport? Would that cause problems with the PR process?
Suppose you receive your US passport before your Passport Request from CIC, then send them an email to tell them of change in Passport and you would submit that for the stamping. Infact it makes sense to have one passport than produce two at different occasions.

Have a nice day and any questions do shout :roll:
Praise The Lord!!!!