ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COA with no right to work BUT we ARE married

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: COA with no right to work BUT we ARE married

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm

It does seem that they are responding quicker these days. HOWEVER, do not just accept a COA without the right to work. If you think you should have the right to work, especially if you are married to an EEA citizen, at least try to contact the Home Office and see what they have to say. Try to fight for your right guys!

Good luck! If there's any way we can support you, please let me know.
CC

RixiP
Newly Registered

Post by RixiP » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Zabeth wrote:Hi,

Thanks a lot for starting this thread! It gives some hope and ideas of how to proceed.

My non-EEA partner has applied for a EEA2 and received a Certificate of Application this morning stating:

"At this stage we are unable to confirm your right to workin the United Kingdom. This will depend on the outcome of the application. This is because you have not provided original" ...which we actually did.
And they've added, in bold: "We will not revisit the terms of your Certificate of Application during the consideration of your case".

Plus, they haven't mentionned any contact detail (tel, email or fax) appart from the name of the HO officer.

How harsh..

I have just tried to contact them through the 0300 123 2253, an automatic message stated that they are unable to respond now.

I'll keep you updated.
My husband received the exact same CoA :( Just to say that you may have to call the 0300 number like 20 times in a row to get a response..it usually either says line busy or says the call volume is too high but if you hang up and call right back, and keep doing it, you will eventually get to speak to someone.

RixiP
Newly Registered

Post by RixiP » Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Update: So I called on Wed to ask about a new CoA and what the story was. He called me back on Thurs to let me know that new CoA with right to work was in the post, and we received it yesterday (Friday)! :shock: :D pretty amazing.

Jellybean105 and zabeth - any luck?

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:23 pm

:shock: Congrats!

Unfortunately, I have had no luck so far. I'm going to call them on Tuesday. I'm still hoping to get the decision back in the next 2 weeks. Do you think they are being dearly beloved or prejudice? :( I'm so fed up now.
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun May 04, 2014 4:30 am

They are giving loads of people the short COA, wouldn't worry about prejudice. They are just prejudiced against everyone who applies via the EEA route! You could send them another letter and then sit tight for a short while. You never know: you might get your RC in a few weeks!

Good luck to you all!

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm

So I emailed the Deputy Chief Caseworker and she replied within 3 minutes saying your previous enquiry is being dealt with and I'll get a reply to that so don't send me any more emails. This was 2 weeks ago!! We haven't received anything. No post no emails.

Its been 6 weeks now since my husband was issued the wrong COA.

anam912
Newly Registered

Post by anam912 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:So I emailed the Deputy Chief Caseworker and she replied within 3 minutes saying your previous enquiry is being dealt with and I'll get a reply to that so don't send me any more emails. This was 2 weeks ago!! We haven't received anything. No post no emails.

Its been 6 weeks now since my husband was issued the wrong COA.
I am in a similar situation. could you plz let me know on which ID you emailed?
I am thinking of sending a letter via post to PO BOX 306

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:05 pm

anam912, I have PM'd you :)

I just realised that you are a new memeber.. I don't think you'll get the PM :?

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Mon May 26, 2014 2:23 pm

you need to send them email you get quick response from eu team .and try to call home office .
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

anam912
Newly Registered

Post by anam912 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:anam912, I have PM'd you :)

I just realised that you are a new memeber.. I don't think you'll get the PM :?

Thanks for the pm but I cannot view it unfortunately. ..

In the meantime I actually sent a letter to the home office to requrst an ammended coa.. I also spoke to somebody on the hitline and he said I should send a letter and he refused to give me an email id....

My current timeline is as follows...
Application sent 30th april
Recieved 1st May
Application fee deducted 2nd may
Application confirmation recieved 8th may dated 2nd may
COA without rtw recieved 10th may dated 8th may....

anam912
Newly Registered

Post by anam912 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:34 pm

I was also wondering whether it has ever happened that someone got a rc who recieved a coa without right to work? Is that possible?

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:45 pm

anam912 wrote:I was also wondering whether it has ever happened that someone got a rc who recieved a coa without right to work? Is that possible?
yes thats possible .if they issue you rc as these days some people has been issued RC within two months . so you might get your rc soon who knows.
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hachim
Newly Registered

Post by hachim » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:12 am

anam912 wrote:I was also wondering whether it has ever happened that someone got a rc who recieved a coa without right to work? Is that possible?
i received a coa with no right to work and now they called for interview in liverpool ...

afontoura
Newly Registered

Post by afontoura » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:35 pm

The same just happened to me.

I just got my COA with no right to work. HO mentioned in the letter that I have not provided identity documents for myself and my wife (she is EEA national and I have sent my passport, her ID and drive license), evidence of relationship (I have sent our marriage certificate, both original and translated), and sufficient evidence of my sponsor exercising Treaty rights (I have send her contract, payslip, NI letter, section 6 signed by her employer).
So I just called HO, spoke to a counsellor, he opened my file case and saw that all documents were there. He also took a look at the letter and stated that this NO RIGHT TO WORK letter is a standard one, plus that they might have made a mistake (OH REALY?! :evil: ) and that he would email Mr. Martin Snape (my case officer) asking him to reconsider, as all documents are perfectly fine, and see the possibility to send me the extended version of the letter corrected.
He took my phone number to give me a feedback over this.

I'll update you as son as I get his call. :roll:

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 am

UPDATE:
My husband received his Residence Card today.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:15 pm

LunarGirl wrote:UPDATE:
My husband received his Residence Card today.
:D :D Super news :)

kafworld
Newly Registered

Post by kafworld » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:51 am

Today my application for a National Insurance Number (NINO) was rejected for the second time. I need one badly before I apply for EEA2 Residence Card because I have to travel to Ireland next month and can't be without my passport. Mostly I need NINO to claim the excess taxes they took out.

The rejection letter states "Failed to provide sufficient evidence of right to work."

Background: I am American married to EU National. She is exercising her treaty rights. I provided everything they asked for: my passport, wife's passport, proof of marriage, proof of living together (tenancy agreement), utility bill in my name, etc. NOTE: I didn't include a family permit as I'm not required to get one.

My question how do I contact the right department to get this rectified? The EU Directive states I don't need a residence card to work. What evidence could they possibly be talking about.

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks CC :)

My US husband was refused twice for his NINO with the exact same reason. He got it the third time just because he had applied for the EEA2 and had a COA which stated that he could work. It looks like they won't budge on this until you get the COA.

kafworld
Newly Registered

Post by kafworld » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks for the reply LunarGirl. Think you're right and will just focus efforts on EEA2 application. Just going to send it in today and hope the correct COA arrives in 2 weeks.

Question: Am I able to apply for NINO with correct COA even though I won't have my passport? That will still be with HO until I get my residence card won't it?

Also, please can you tell me what method of post you used to send your husband's application?

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:14 pm

The job centre will have already seen your passport for the last two applications so they should be content with you not having it for the third one. When you explain that it's with the Home Office they should understand. But ring the job centre to confirm this. The person we dealt with at our job centre said that this would be ok and that they would grant the NINO with the correct COA.

We sent our EEA2 application Royal Mail next day signed for and included an exact same size self addressed envelope with the postage paid for RM next day signed for in with the rest of the application. That way we were certain that everything would be returned to us safely. And it worked out well. The RC was printed on the Monday, posted from Liverpool on Wednesday and we received it on Thursday.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

kafworld
Newly Registered

Post by kafworld » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 pm

You are awesome! Thanks so much for the info. These little bits really help.

Last question (I think!): Did you request his passport back earlier or did it just get returned with the RC? I ask because I will need to travel to Ireland in about 40 days and was told that HO should only need my passport for about 28 days.

I don't want to delay the processing of my RC but 2 1/2 months is a long time to be "stuck" in country without a passport for those of us that work internationally. Wish there was another solution to this problem.

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:35 pm

In your cover letter for your EEA2 application state clearly that you wish for your passports to be returned. I've read that others have done this and they didn't wait that long to get them back, usually shortly after the COA is sent out.

We didn't request our passports back and the RC was returned inside the passport. It's a sticker that fills most of the space on one of the visa pages. If you request your passport back then the Home Office will send you the RC on an A4 page, ie the sticker will be on an A4 page NOT A CARD.

kafworld
Newly Registered

Post by kafworld » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Is there anything else I need to put in the cover letter? I didn't realise a letter was necessary so I'm glad you mentioned it. Any advice you can offer about that would be appreciated. Thanks.

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:24 am

Hi again
I always like to include a cover letter with EVERYTHING I send - I'm a mad Virgo, OCD crazy organised nut. So I like to do a summary letter of the basis of my application and list CLEARLY everything I am sending. I've heard it's a waste of time stapling items together and putting things in those plastic wallets/polly pockets as it will all be tossed out into one big disorganised paper pile anyway. The cover letter will be the only reference to show the order of everything. I do think that if they have a cover letter to refer back to then any disorganisation that occurs along the way will be alleviated by having a cover letter that lists things out in an ordered way. Don't forget that the application goes to Durham first, the payment process bit occurs in Sheffield and then the application is 'caseworked' (who ever would have thought that was a verb?) in Liverpool. So a Bermuda Triangle where papers and items are possibly open to loss and disorganisation.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi

Please can someone help. Its been over 3 months now and I emailed the chief caseworker again today saying they have not sent me the right COA. She replied saying: The correct COA was issued based on the information you provided with the application.

We sent both passports and our marriage certificate, so what more do they need? We have been married since Feb 2012, lived in Ireland for almost a year and had a business.
I am just completely fed up now!!!! Please can someone give me a number or someone elses email so I can get the right COA. Also, who else can I contact to get this sorted?