ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

who are interested in protest against changes of 4-5

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ymlin
Newly Registered

Sign petition against 4 to 5 yrs (DEADLINE: 24 APR)

Post by ymlin » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Solicitor, Christine Lee will meet Home Office next week, she'll be arranged to meet HO mininster Tony McNaulty very soon. Please sign the petition and post to the follow address before 24 Apr 2006, SHE NEEDS more than 1000 PETITIONS:

Christine Lee & Co (Solicitors) Ltd
Unit 3
Colindale Business Centre
126 Colindale Avenue
London
NW9 5HD

If you need any legal consultation regarding to the ILR, please call 0208 2014354, Ann Lee. She can speak fluent English and Chinese. The consultation is free.

The petition content as below:

Toe Who It May Concern,
I hereby declare my objection towards the new Immigration Rules on Indefinite Leave to Rmain (ILR) which changes the length of time required to obtain ILR for UK work permit holders f4om 4 years to 5 years. I am opposed to the retrospective impact of the 5 year rule on permit holders who had applied before 3rd April 2006.
I believe the rule has a negative impact on the existing employment related category visa holders since we were under the impression that I was eligible to apply for redefinite leave to remain after 4 years. I have planned my life and my family's lives around this and as a result we are anxious about the changes and its effects on us.

Signature:

Date:

Name:

Address:

Comments:

Thanks for your support.

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:11 pm

A quick update from the meeting,the following is originally posted by Joseph.DJ@558.net.
I believe at this stage we might need to send the petition to as many people as we know to ask thier support and continue to email MP if have not done yet.
I think a lot of you guys have been checking another web forum as well, however, just to give the link out again for those who do not know yet. We are using English only now from page about 19. http://lkcn.net/eubbs/index.php?showtopic=102162&st=285
:P

joseph.DJ@558.net Posted: 8 Apr 2006, 20:09

正式会员

Group: Members

Just a quick summaries of what I see and heard today:

There was a mixed crowd today, Cantonese, Mandarin and English speakers, Work Permit Holders, HSMP holder, dependents etc, also people from the catering industry, Travel industry, Education institutes, TCM practioners etc.

CHristine explained her strategies and relate how she successfully lobby the government in her last campaign. Mr David Ho explain the legal processes.

There were Question and Answer session, but most Chinese were a bit shy to explain their own situation. Many of them did talk to Christine afterwards and discuss their hardship cases to get advise directly. Their case details were also included in a tailor-made letter to their own MP

Over 500 petitions were signed today. Many will also send letters to their MPs. They will also bring the petitions to their own community/organisation/workplace to drum up more support.

Two of the stronger harder cases were:

One lady who work in the travel industry will no longer be able to work because she cannot get shegen visa with only less then 6 month on her work permit

One lady who is here for 3 1/2 year, has her second child born here. if she cannot get PR and lose the work permit at the end of the original 4 years period, she will have to return to China. she is worried about how her child will be treated in China under the one -child policy.

I will post more tomorrow with all the documents for the campaign.

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Have anyone of you went to that meeting? Please provide some updating.

tarzan
Newly Registered

other groups, good news

Post by tarzan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Hello Tutu and Friends,
I discovered this forum last week and informed my friends. We have a website and email group for protesting this nonsense regulation.
http://www.btcd.org.uk
BTCD_ILR@yahoogroups.com

We have been sending emails to Mp's, councillos and shadow ministers of immigration-home office. One of our friends got a very nice letter from, Shadow immigration minister of Conservatives Mr Damian Green. I quote from his letter:
"Dear Mr....,
Thank you for your email about the changes to the immigration rules affecting the qualifying period for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

I agree that the retrospective element of this change is damaging both to the individuals involved and to the British economy, and the Conservative Party will be opposing this element of the new rules.

Damian Green
Shadow Minister for immigration "

I suggest that you guys also send your emails to other shadow immigration minister (Liberal party) Mr. Nick Glegg MP
http://www.nickclegg.org
nickclegg@sheffieldhallam.org.uk

if we can get a similar response from liberals as well, i will start to become hopeful.

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:04 pm

hey guys something interesting happen today:

the COA rules have been suspended for marriages. If the Home Office decides not to appeal against this ruling, I guess the Home Office will restrict FLR(M) applications to post only so that they can scrutinise such applications better to weed out shams.

This ruling shows that the Home Office is not always right and should be used as ammo in the challenge against the retrospective application of the 5 year ILR rule for employment related categories.

there's hope

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:15 am

One lady who is here for 3 1/2 year, has her second child born here. if she cannot get PR and lose the work permit at the end of the original 4 years period, she will have to return to China. she is worried about how her child will be treated in China under the one -child policy. <== does it mean that every chinese who wants to have more than one child should be granted ILR in the UK ?

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:35 am

camerond@parliament.uk - David Cameron's email address

a11

Post by a11 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:12 pm

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetai ... ESSION=875

A Labour MP opened an Early Day Motion to protest against the immigration rules' change.

What is an EDM?
An Early Day Motion (EDM) is essentially a way for Members of Parliament (MPs) to draw attention to an issue and build support for it. Initially an MP will table a motion by writing a statement either for or against a particular issue, this is then put on the Parliamentary record as an EDM. Subsequently, MPs can canvass fellow MPs to sign and support it and can also publicise it to local or national press. The EDM therefore works as a kind of petition that MPs can sign up to in order to show their support for a particular issue or subject. Whilst EDMs are not expected to be debated on the floor of the House, they can attract a great deal of publicity to a particular issue, both within Parliament and, if reported by the National or Regional Press, amongst the general public. You should ask your MP to show his or her support for our aims by signing this EDM.

MunneRaja

Post by MunneRaja » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:18 pm

This sounds interesting

a11

Post by a11 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:41 pm

Not only interesting, but very useful. Now we should all write letters to our MPs asking them to support EDM 1912. Once the EDM is opened, all they should do is put their signatures on. We've only got about a month until the change becomes a law, so let's hurry up...

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:47 pm

Defiantly useful, gives us all hope that someone is actually listening to us everyone should get hold of as many MP's as possible. Don’t be shy about giving them a call and press them to sign EDM1912.

a11

Post by a11 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:50 pm

Got a reply from my MP within 2 days, to my request to sign EDM 1912
(I sent him a more general letter before, but got no reply - as you can see, it gets easier when you speak their language). Unfortunately, he could not sign it because of his parliamentary role as a Private Secretary, but promised to follow the discussion. Anyway, I think this strategy works!
Last edited by a11 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a11

Post by a11 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:06 pm

so the letter that I sent to my MP (Mr. Andrew Slaughter, Ealing, Acton and Shepherds Bush) was as below. I think I found the text on the Chinese forum (although not sure) and it was so good that I broke my habit of rewriting everything and just sent it as is.

==============================================

Dear ...,

I am writing to ask for your support to EDM 1912 put forward by Labour MP Austin Mitchell that calls for the disapproval of the change being made to immigration rules, originally specified in House of Commons Paper 974 (which has now been replaced by HC1016).

HC1016 (replacing HC974) was laid before Parliament on 30th March 2006 where the qualifying period for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in Britain is being increased from 4 to 5 years with effect from 3rd April 2006. It will be made law if not overruled by a negative resolution in the House of Commons within 40 days from 30th March 2006.

In addition to prospective immigrants, this change also affects immigrants who are already in the UK and have a visa leading to settlement, including work permit holders and Highly Skilled Migrants, which the Home Office has sought to attract to the UK.

HSMP visa holders and work permit visa holders contribute greatly to the economy of the UK. They are here because of their skills and despite having the option to apply to other countries. They have decided to immigrate to the UK relying on information given by the Home office that they would be accepted into the community and be able to settle in the UK after completing their 4 years in that category. Now, the Home Office is unilaterally announcing that it will increase this period to 5 years.

I feel that the unfair action taken by the Home Office greatly undermines any goodwill that it has established with existing integrated, law abiding and tax paying immigrant workers hoping and planning to make their stay in the UK permanent.

Not only will this decision hamper the integration process of those people in the UK that already have a visa leading to settlement, this retrospective change will also damage those affected people's faith in the British government, further discouraging any highly skilled migrants from choosing the UK as their host country in the future from lack of predictability.

I hope that you will oppose this change, which is particularly unfair to those immigrants who are already in an immigration category leading to settlement, by either supporting EDM 1912, tabling another EDM that points to the unfairness of the change or by any other appropriate means.

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:15 pm

my MP replied today he said that he'll sign the EDM my MP is David Heath from the liberal party.

i think the problem is that not many people know about this NEW LAw cus it hasn't been on the news or newspaper at all... we need to gather more people as soon as possible...
i have sent e-mails, letters to the media but no luck so far....

but let's keep on the pressure and see what happens please include me in any campaign
or any actions.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Just called the Guardian prices are for a full spread £11400, then half a page is £7553, they do a public announcement section on Wednesday which is £960 for a 10 x 2 block which I suspect is a small box but we would be grouped together with loads of other announcements, so any billionaire WP or HSMP’s out there or should we start passing the hat around…………………………
I also spoke to their political correspondent who seemed to think that we were all aware of the retrospective rule change until I explained that there was no mention of the retrospective change last year. I even informed her that one of our members has a signed letter from Mr. Clarke stating that his visa would not be affected; she was very interested in this. So RobinLondon if you are interested please PM me and I could put you in touch with the Political correspondent.

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:12 pm

i would like to point out that we should challenge the NO NEED OF CONSULTATION POLICY on this issue as well just because HO believes there's no need to......

rooi_ding wrote:Just called the Guardian prices are for a full spread £11400, then half a page is £7553, they do a public announcement section on Wednesday which is £960 for a 10 x 2 block which I suspect is a small box but we would be grouped together with loads of other announcements, so any billionaire WP or HSMP’s out there or should we start passing the hat around…………………………
I also spoke to their political correspondent who seemed to think that we were all aware of the retrospective rule change until I explained that there was no mention of the retrospective change last year. I even informed her that one of our members has a signed letter from Mr. Clarke stating that his visa would not be affected; she was very interested in this. So RobinLondon if you are interested please PM me and I could put you in touch with the Political correspondent.

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:15 am

eh guys i am trying to open a new forum in the guardian unlimited. i have subscribed but they are having problems validating my e-mail can anyone else try to subscribe and then open a new forum there and see if we can attract more people to support us.

i think there are still a lot of people out there that don't know about this new law and this campaign.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:57 am

same here
morerightsformigrants wrote:eh guys i am trying to open a new forum in the guardian unlimited. i have subscribed but they are having problems validating my e-mail can anyone else try to subscribe and then open a new forum there and see if we can attract more people to support us.

i think there are still a lot of people out there that don't know about this new law and this campaign.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:40 am

u mean consultation with the citizens or immigrants?
morerightsformigrants wrote:i would like to point out that we should challenge the NO NEED OF CONSULTATION POLICY on this issue as well just because HO believes there's no need to......

rooi_ding wrote:Just called the Guardian prices are for a full spread £11400, then half a page is £7553, they do a public announcement section on Wednesday which is £960 for a 10 x 2 block which I suspect is a small box but we would be grouped together with loads of other announcements, so any billionaire WP or HSMP’s out there or should we start passing the hat around…………………………

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:51 am

i would say apart from themselves they didn't consult either, although consultation to the citizens wouldn't make much difference.
olisun wrote:u mean consultation with the citizens or immigrants?
morerightsformigrants wrote:i would like to point out that we should challenge the NO NEED OF CONSULTATION POLICY on this issue as well just because HO believes there's no need to......

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:18 am

both as any new law it should be consulted first. even when tescos or any other developers want to apply for something the council consults.....before giving the go ahead

olisun wrote:u mean consultation with the citizens or immigrants?

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:46 pm

got this from another forum

as you know, the law has been passed, it is now up to the policy team at Home Office to do the small prints.

Christine Lee, the solicitor, who successfully lobbyed againist some of the original unfair clauses in the bill, hold regualr meeting with Home office to monitor the progress of the new law.

Here is her report on the recent meeting. (See Chinese report from SingTao THU13/04/2006)

=============================================
On 10th April we had a meeting with the Policy Team of the Home Office on the Point based System, they were two officers from Croydon and two from Sheffield. There is very little advance from what we knew already. I have a feeling the Home Office is just playing their cards very close to their chests. However one thing did come out very strong and that is they will be drafting their new rules (point system) very much in line with their published policy. Nothing much we say is going to make a difference. Their words are this is published policy back in July 2005.

We were invited to give our views on the specific impact and difficulties of the new system to the Chinese and Asian catering businesses. But in return they told us nothing new. One thing came out unmistakable is that the HO’s concern is only how to control incoming workers. They have not thought about the impact on the local British businesses. It is all about controlling migrants in and the ways to settlement. We came out of the meeting feeling absolutely deflated in that what we have campaigned for and all the reasons and difficulties raised in Parliament and with the Politicians have either not filtered down to the Policy team or deliberately ignored.

However the main points of the meeting are

1 We raised the issue of the 4 to 5 year settlement change of rule. This is not what the meeting was about but they commented that this is pretty much what the government is going to do and nothing much we can do about it. We shall see how we get on with the Politicians gain.

2 Regarding the point based system. For the “enterprise” (their term, not mine) categories, i.e. Investors, Business Investment, Retired Person of Independent Means, the HO says they have no rules set out yet. I tried to push them to give us a clue, but absolutely nothing. I raised the issue of current clients from Shanghai (who is contemplating applying) concern about the change to the new system probably at the time of the extension application (2 +3). I asked for comfort from the Policy team that whatever they draft they should recognise that those came in already should automatically covert to enough points under the new system. But nothing. The best I could get out of them is they will have to look at it and cannot commit.

3 I also raised issue why they are tempering with non-working categories, e.g. retired person. Also trying to have one system to fit all with such diverse criteria is madness. Also the new system looks inflexible and no discretion allowed. The response is that this is the Home Office’s policies as set out in the consultation documents in July 2005.

4 We then went onto the most problematic issue for our meeting. It appears the knowledge of English is going to be applied stringently and a absolute pre requisite to all Tier 1 and 2 applicants. We have had meeting after meeting with Ministers and were pacified to say it will be alright. We spent best part of an hour arguing to our faces became blue why English requirement would kill all applications for investors or chefs from China. The most ridiculous line I got from them was “if the chef wants to come they should go and learn English”! They insist that to work in the UK the migrant must have a minimum standard of English. It is meant to help integration. The best I could achieve was for them to look at the level of the English requirement. We felt it is not genuine. We are going back to the Politicians on this point.

5 We didn’t really have time to discuss Tier 3, except that the Asian business are more concerned than the Chinese and the HO team will talk separately with the Asian community. The non settlement route is not useful to the Chinese community in the UK, not many Chinese workers will come if no settlement.

6 We had to leave Tier 4 & 5 to a future meeting.

Whatever the politicians told us before we have to start all over again. We are running the same arguments and scenarios with the Policy team. Our battle goes on……….

Regards,

Christine Lee & Co.

Please see the latest update of Christine's meeting with the Policy team at the Home Office here:

http://lkcn.net/eubbs/index.php?act=ST& ... ntry882636

Although the signs are not very encouraging, it is to be expected becoz these guys are only civil servants, and they tend to play it very safe in fear of making any promises they cannot keep. (Coz only politician can make the final decisions)

Really have to wait till Chistine meet the minister when he come back from holiday before we have a real indication whether the lobbying is gonna be successful.

=================================

本文章由 joseph.DJ@558.net于 13 Apr 2006, 10:33 重新编辑过

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:15 pm

I posted this in the South African forum http://www.greattrek.co.uk/showthread.p ... 5#post1295

1) The law can be changed by an act of parliament in fact the MP for great Grimsby Austin Mitchell has put forward EDM1912 asking that MP's vote against the changes to the Immigration Rules (HC 974). Although an EDM in itself does not bring about a change in the law it is a platform to gain support and to canvas other MP's to support them. The law you are referring to with regards to marriages was passed in parliament and was never challenged therefore it had to be legally challenged and had a positive result. Immigration law (HC974) can still be challenged in the House of Commons, I do feel however that Mr. Mitchell is a bit misguided, I believe that most people have no issue with the law change from 4 to 5 years the problem is the retrospective aspect.

2) Yes the laws were announced about a year ago but there was no consultation with businesses and with communities with regards the impact it would have, there was also no mention of the retrospective aspect, in fact the British legal system is based on not implementing retrospective laws. When we all applied for our HSMP's Work Permits and Ancestral Visa's we all were lead to believe that we would qualify for ILR after 4 years, therefore the Home Office has now gone back on its promise and are now hoping for the apathy that we are now displaying will continue and they will be able to bulldozer us into a quite little box were they can manipulate every situation.

We came to this country because we have skills and knowledge that the UK require yes we are allowed to stay here under the rules of the UK but we should not be forced into accepting rule changes that affect us in an unfair way. I am not trying to preach from a soap box but as South Africans we are so apathetic to the powers that be. How do you think we all allowed apartheid to fiesta for 60 years, without having the courage of convictions to say something, now look at the wound we have to heal. Maybe back in SA we would have been threatened with death if we said anything during the apartheid years but this is the UK there is a forum (the house of commons) were rules are presented which are either rejected or accepted.

All I am proposing is that we get off our nice padded seats and started writing to out MP’s of our constituency (yes we belong to the commonwealth and therefore can vote in local elections) they will listen because that is what politicians do and if you shout loud enough or speak to them in the right way and convince them that the retrospective rule is unfair then they will intern take our plight in the house in commons were the retrospective element cane be changed, the more MP’s we have on our side the better. There is no better time then now to get MP’s to Challenge anything that Mr. Blair and his government propose as they would all like to see the back of him.

Tomorrow I am meeting people from different nations each person has there own situation but each one wants to challenge the retrospective aspect of this law. I would therefore encourage everyone who wants the same as us to write to there MP or to email me r_j49@hotmail.com and we will help propose what you can possible write. WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?

If there are any South Africans who use this forum and agree with what I have just said then I would encourage you to get our fellow South Africans off their padded seats and do something............

try-one
Member of Standing

good idea....concerned about outcome

Post by try-one » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:03 pm

**Pending strategy description,
thanks
Last edited by try-one on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

aj77

Post by aj77 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:17 pm

Well the list of all Parliamentarians,their websites and Emails can be found from this link:

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alcm.cfm

If we could email all of them with proper planning it might work.
Since this issue is of National interest, not related to any particular constituency,I personally feel we can email to any Parliamentarian.Any suggesstion?