ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pumps100
Scotland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Pumps100 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Court2 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 pm
Exercising your right/entitlement to citizenship and exercising your right to vote/thoughts about voting are two entirely different concepts.

Is one not permitted to believe the EU is a dictatorship of unelected and unaccountable individuals whilst also holding dual nationality?

Imagine how many dual nationals there are in the U.K. and you begin to realise how ridiculous your argument sounds, in my opinion.
In ones opinion as I stated it was my opinion. This is personal to me. You are entirely entitled your own opinion.

Ian

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Pumps100 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks Maddeningbike for the link to the article. Useful to get a handle on the number of FBR applications.

But the sting of the tale was towards the end of the article. The British guy states that, whilst he did not vote in the 2016 EU referendum (because he lives in Ireland), if he could have voted it would have been Leave. Total hypocrite in my opinion.

Ian
Agree. And as a British citizen in Ireland he can take advantage of the CTA so it's not even necessary for him to have Irish citizenship. Seems he's happy to take advantage of something he'd have happily deprived other people of.

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi Sulia,

Would you please add my timeline to your next list?
I am located in the USA. I applied online and sent my application and docs directly to Balbriggan.

Application submitted online: 16 June 2019
Sent application (USPS): 22 June 2019
Application confirmed received by DFA (email): 01 July 2019

Thank you.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Court2 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 pm
Is one not permitted to believe the EU is a dictatorship of unelected and unaccountable individuals whilst also holding dual nationality?
Of course. But equally, Pumps100 is permitted to believe anyone who voted for Brexit, and then secures their escape route via Irish FBR, is a hypocrite. One of my most cherished memories is from just over a year ago when I was showing my new Irish passport round in the pub. A good friend of mine, who had surprised us all by announcing he'd voted for Brexit, told me that he was also going to go down the FBR route. I savoured informing him that having an Irish-born great grandparent didn't qualify...

Your views on the EU reflect the constant drip-feed of misinformation by UK media barons who stand to personally enrich themselves from the coming disaster. Hopefully, by now you're aware of the more obvious lies such as the 'EU bendy banana' myth, but anti-EU propaganda is constant and routine. I actually worked for the European Commission as a 'Seconded National Expert' for a year and I personally witnessed the Directive on which I was working being lied about In the UK media. The Daily Telegraph and co. portrayed this Directive as yet another example of Europe pushing the UK around with red tape and bureaucracy. The reality was that my typical day was spent meeting representatives of UK industry who were desperate for the Directive to come into force so they could standardise their products and sell them freely throughout Europe. That's why the CBI and all the big employers' federations are screaming at you that Brexit will be a national disaster. Unfortunately, they don't write the papers that you read, but in 9 weeks time you'll wish they had.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:34 pm

I choose to apply for Irish citizenship last year after travelling to Ireland on three occasions and the last trip I went to where my Grandmother came from Near Mulligar, Westmeath and I found I had a reletive still in the village, so many have moved away to the USA & England . I have always felt welcome in Ireland and not like a foreigner so December last year I applied online and my main reason was for my love of Ireland and it's people so I wanted to become an Irish citizen also have an Irish passport at which I think of this travel document as an Irish passport first and not an EU passport first (Irish sovereignty) . Travel to the EU is a bonus but not the most important aspect of being Irish for me and if Ireland choose to do the same as the UK and leave the EU so be it and there is a good chance of this if the EU carries out it's tax harmony making all member states have the same corporation tax rate also if the UK does really well after brexit then other nations will follow after.

As for the EU being the land of milk and honey tell that to the Greeks whom will not pay off there debt to the EU until 2060 and the Italians whom haven't had any growth since joining the Euro.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:34 pm
I choose to apply for Irish citizenship last year after travelling to Ireland on three occasions...
I'm sure you'll have already had difficulties convincing people that you had no interest in maintaining your European citizenship - it's like declaring that the ship isn't sinking from the safety of the lifeboat! I do acknowledge that some UK applicants are purely interested in their Irish heritage, but over the past 3 years you've definitely become the minority. What's also in the minority, thankfully, is euro-scepticism in Ireland. If you Google 'Eurobarometer 2019' you'll see the Irish are at the opposite end of the spectrum to the UK, being the second most pro-European of all the member states. So I'm optimistic that I wont be searching for a lifeboat again when the Irish vote leave...

As far as Europe being the proverbial 'land of milk and honey,' no intelligent person would think that. But neither would they think it's a good idea to crash out of the trading agreement with your nearest neighbours who also happen to be the biggest trading block on the planet.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:47 am

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi Sulia,

I am located in the USA. I applied online and sent my application and docs directly to Balbriggan.

Thank you.
Certainly. I have added you in and you will see it when I post the next update.

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:14 am

Sulla wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:47 am
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi Sulia,

Thank you.
Certainly. I have added you in and you will see it when I post the next update.
Thank you, Sulia.

Regards

Court2
England

Post by Court2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:50 am

spiderplants wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:50 pm
Pumps100 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks Maddeningbike for the link to the article. Useful to get a handle on the number of FBR applications.

But the sting of the tale was towards the end of the article. The British guy states that, whilst he did not vote in the 2016 EU referendum (because he lives in Ireland), if he could have voted it would have been Leave. Total hypocrite in my opinion.

Ian
Agree. And as a British citizen in Ireland he can take advantage of the CTA so it's not even necessary for him to have Irish citizenship. Seems he's happy to take advantage of something he'd have happily deprived other people of.
Who are you or anyone else to determine whether it is 'necessary' for someone to have citizenship. Necessity does not feature in FBR law. If you are entitled via the eligibility then you're in, end of. Or have I missed the 'necessity' criteria somewhere? Maybe just maybe he wants Irish citizenship to enable future access to the EU or to reconnect to his family roots as many FBR applicants have stated on these boards countless times.

Let's not kid ourselves, British applications have risen due to Brexit and applicants seeking to ensure future access to the EU and provisions of freedom of movement to travel, live and work. Similarly USA applications have risen likely as a 'reaction' to Trump and dare I mention free healthcare received in Europe. :roll:

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Court2 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:50 am
Who are you or anyone else to determine whether it is 'necessary' for someone to have citizenship.
You've missed the point that spiderplants was making. The bloke in the article had proclaimed he would have voted for Brexit. He's also applied for Irish Citizenship through FBR. Spiderplants was pointing out that as a UK citizen, it was not 'necessary' for him to get Irish citizenship to continue living/working in Ireland after Brexit as that is already provided by the 'common travel area' - which is not EU legislation. Ergo. he is a hypocrite - voting his fellow brits out of Europe whilst making sure he stays in.

Pumps100
Scotland

Post by Pumps100 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:36 pm

I've never been into self abuse or masochism. My take on Brexit is non-political and based on logic. I voted Remain to support the status-quo. Simply put I did not want to become worse off; importantly, I didn't want my children, and grandchildren to be worse off. People who voted Leave, based on cheap political jingoism and lies, should ask themselves this simple question:

"Do you want your children and grandkids to be worse off? " Yes or No?

In my opinion, anybody who voted to make themselves, and their kids, worse off has quite a bizarre and twisted outlook on life. Forget politics: who would really want this? I do accept that there are some people in society who do self-harm for whatever their personal reasons. But they shouldn't inflict the pain on others - their offspring in particular.

Ian

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Brexit Escape
I'm sure you'll have already had difficulties convincing people that you had no interest in maintaining your European citizenship

Brexit Escape
There is no European citizenship, Europe is a continent and there are only citizenships of individual countries in the EU also it is a political union not a country unless it is in secret but the EU does want to become a country eventually.

As for the lifeboat nonsense which you claim is the gospel unless you have a crystal ball but I don't believe it will be as bad as you doom and gloomers predict, The claim that the UK would go into recession if it didn't join the euro never materialise also before the referendum another claim there would be an recession in the UK never happened. Again there is this prediction the UK will fall off a cliff edge and it is utter bull, a country which has always been in the top 5 biggest countries in GDP from 1820 and in the top 10 after 2000's and will remain a top 10 country in GDP in 2050 - 2100 and beyond.

You sound very bitter because the referendum didn't go your way....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Posters will start having their access to the forum restricted or terminated for, once again,taking this topic thread completely off topic and rendering it close to be locked again.

Please take your arguing, posturing and EU/political debate elsewhere!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:57 am

Probably best to call a truce and keep the thread unlocked.

I will post an updated timeline in an effort to get us back on topic.

May 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Jacqui309 – received May 15th / Pending
Emma86 – received May 30th (Added to FBR November 20th 2018)

June 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Ben321 – received mid-June / Pending (coming soon)
Cindy – received June 14th / Pending
156Nathan – received June 16th (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)

July 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.

Brawn – received July 2nd (Added to FBR March 13th 2019)
Jpauls – received July 12th (Added to FBR November 13th 2018)
Nick1066 _ received July 18th online date (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)
BostonCeltics – received July 20th (Added to FBR November 15th 2018)
Stephen F – received July 20th 2018 (Added to FBR unknown / Certificate received January 10th 2019)
Samantha – received July 22nd / (Added to FBR July 2nd 2019) Thai Case
James_mcfc – received July 25th (Added to the FBR November 27th 2018)
Rbs3 – received July 27th (Added to FBR March 26th 2019)
Rdslight – received July 31st (Added to FBR – May 23rd / Certificate received June 3rd 2019)
Richard – received July 31st (added to FBR March 10th 2019)

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Oction – received August 1st (Added to FBR July 11th 2019)
Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Faith2611 – received August 3rd / (Awaiting Printing)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Hol292 – received August 10th (Added to FBR July 5th 2019)
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR November 28th 2018) Chinese Case
LeifRNR – received August 14th Added to FBR July 17th 2019)
Laurie – received August 15th / (Added to FBR August 1st 2019)
NYNJ – Received August 16th 2018 / Pending
Valiant – Received August 16th 2018 / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Donna – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczKat – received August 23rd / Pending
SonicBoom – received August 28th / Pending
Pumps100 – received August 29th / Pending
MaddeningBike – received August 30th / Pending
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending

September 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Court2 - received September 1st / Pending
Oshma – received September 4th / Pending
Clongwill – received September 6th / Pending
Aussie_MJ – received September 10th / pending
Fillio39 – received September 11th / Pending
Costus – received September 14th / Pending (awaiting printing)
Spike – received September 20th / Pending
Wims - received September 24th / Pending
Mozza75 – received September 25th / Pending
Kkjak - received September 27th / Pending
Sqimandy - received September 27th / Pending
LesMalouinettes- received September 27th / Pending
Aion - received September 27th / Pending
MaryO – received September (unspecified date) / Pending

October 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Shaunier – received October 4th / Pending
Theonlyh- received October 9th / Pending
Marwin – received October 15th / (Added to FBR June 18th 2019) German Case
Macdo_Macdo - received October 16th / Pending
Bellcurvechaos – received October 22nd / Pending
Miles892 - received October 22nd / Pending

November 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Luke125Swalker- received November 9th / Pending (South African Case)
Eowyn- received November 20th / Pending
MasterCaution – received November 28th / Pending. German case

December 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Quondam – received December 18th / Added to FBR July 4th 2019) New Zealand Case

January 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.

Bridgette – received January 9th / pending
Emyln – received January 15th / Pending
SamJakeChloe – received January 21st / (Added to FBR End April 2019) Malaysian Case
DanaMarie – received January 29th / Pending
Mikekally – received January 30th / Pending

February 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Lee – received February 6th / Pending
Jaxx -received February 11th / Pending (Awaiting printing) Finnish Case
MikeyLondon – received February 12th / Pending

March 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Tom_bcfc -received March 12th / Pending
Chrisinpm- received March 28th / Pending

April 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
KAR110 - received April 9th / Pending
Faull_Guy – received April 16th / Pending
Fvigaud – received April 26th 2019 / Pending

June 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Dth- received Mid/Late June (unspecified) / Certificate printed and ready for collection August 12th 2019 – Hong Kong Case expedited due to pregnancy
Powerbook1 – received June 26th / (Added to FBR July 25th 2019) Hong Kong Case
JgClancy – received June 27th / Pending

July 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
BigDaddy100 - received July 1st / Pending
CATG – received July 8th / Pending
Flyingmum – received July 19th / Pending

August 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Luna2019 – received August 6th / Pending
ReturningIrish – received August 14th / Pending

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Sulla

Agreed,

We all want the same thing and all have different opinions, reasons why we wanted to apply for the FBR .

Keep up the good work everyone and best of luck with your applications

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm
Sulla

Agreed,

We all want the same thing and all have different opinions, reasons why we wanted to apply for the FBR .

Dear Sulla,

Please can you add me to your timeline:

Submitted application to London embassy on November 4th. Delivery via Royal Mail confirmed 4th November.

Received this email from DFAT on 12 March 2019:

“Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications.”

Thanks again!

NYNJ1
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by NYNJ1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Update on my application (previous user name NYNJ): received an email from FBR office on August 15, asking to verify that my address of record was still current. I confirmed that, and received a response back that my certificate (read: my son's certificate) would be posted the following day, and that it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive (US address). FYI - receipt of physical application in Dublin was confirmed on August 16, 2018.

Pumps100
Scotland

Post by Pumps100 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 pm

NYNJ1 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Update on my application (previous user name NYNJ): received an email from FBR office on August 15, asking to verify that my address of record was still current. I confirmed that, and received a response back that my certificate (read: my son's certificate) would be posted the following day, and that it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive (US address). FYI - receipt of physical application in Dublin was confirmed on August 16, 2018.
Thanks for the update. According to Sulla's list there are now 4 applicants ahead of me from August 2018. Valiant should be next to drop.

Ian

nydccub
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nydccub » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:15 pm

I mailed a notarized copy of my driver's license to DFA the first week of August to prove my new address (I moved to a different state since I applied for FBR in 2018). I called last week and they confirmed they updated my address in their system. When I asked, the operator couldn't say for certain when my application would be reviewed, but said I will likely hear something no later than the first week of September.

I reach the 1-year mark on Saturday. I hope I get the congratulatory email soon.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:47 am

Mori68 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:41 pm
Lee2521 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm
Sulla

Agreed,

Dear Sulla,

Submitted application to London embassy on November 4th. Delivery via Royal Mail confirmed 4th November.

Received this email from DFAT on 12 March 2019:

“Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications.”

Thanks again!
Added in. Thanks for sharing your information with us.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 am

NYNJ1 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Warm congratulations to you. If the certificate has already been printed then it might not take as long as a couple of weeks to arrive with you. Let's hope it comes quickly and you can get on with the passport stage.

cheeseontoast
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cheeseontoast » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:59 am

Dear Sulla,

Sent application to London embassy on 5 November 2018, received by them the following day.

Received email stating from DFAT on 12 March 2019 "Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications."

Very similar timeline to Mori68 post of yesterday, 26 August.

Steve

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 pm

cheeseontoast wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:59 am
Dear Sulla,

Sent application to London embassy on 5 November 2018, received by them the following day.

Received email stating from DFAT on 12 March 2019 "Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications."

Steve
Hi Steve, my FBR twin!

I just hope the current twelve month wait (as per this forum) is from November 2018 and not March 2019, when we got the confirmation email!

All the best!

Myles

Coolcronan
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Original document -- is certified copy equivalentForeign Birth Registration

Post by Coolcronan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 pm

The Foreign Birth Registration instructions specify original documents. Is a certified copy considered equivalent? I have my original birth certificate and marriage certificate, but for everything else (e.g., grandparent's and parent's birth and marriage and death certificates), I can only get certified copies.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:27 am

cheeseontoast wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:59 am
Dear Sulla,

Steve
Done. You will see it when I post the next update. Thanks for sharing your information.