ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Questions

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yearofsnake
Newly Registered

Post by yearofsnake » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:17 am

:o :o Thank you for the advice.

blessed_sinner

Post by blessed_sinner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am

Just call INIS, they are still waiting for my reports. I applied in Dec 2011. They sent for reports in April 2012 and its still waiting.

Soco

Post by Soco » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 pm

blessed_sinner wrote:Just call INIS, they are still waiting for my reports. I applied in Dec 2011. They sent for reports in April 2012 and its still waiting.
I did call them as well .say same thing That they send me a letter in February and its in porcess.I applied in Feb 2012. work permit and then hosting agreement..stamp 4 now.

Best of luck to all who are waitting
Soco

blessed_sinner

Post by blessed_sinner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm

[quote="Soco"][quote="blessed_sinner"]Just call INIS, they are still waiting for my reports. I applied in Dec 2011. They sent for reports in April 2012 and its still waiting.[/quote]

I did call them as well .say same thing That they send me a letter in February and its in porcess.I applied in Feb 2012. work permit and then hosting agreement..stamp 4 now.

Best of luck to all who are waitting
Soco[/quote]

I applied on the basis of 7 years on stamp 4 and I also have Irish suppose and an irish born child. still waiting. just loving it.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 pm

blessed_sinner wrote:I applied on the basis of 7 years on stamp 4 and I also have Irish suppose and an irish born child. still waiting. just loving it.
When was it that you applied again?
If I got you right, you applied based on 5 years residency and are married to an Irish national as well.

You should hear from them before the next ceremony after May
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

blessed_sinner

Post by blessed_sinner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 am

[quote="IntegratedMigrant"][quote="blessed_sinner"]I applied on the basis of [b]7 years[/b] on stamp 4 and I also have [b]Irish suppose[/b] and an irish born child. still waiting. just loving it.[/quote]
If I got you right, you applied based on 5 years residency and are married to an Irish national as well.

You should hear from them before the next ceremony after May[/quote]

I applied in Dec 2011. received the confirmation in 2 working days. Asked me for copy of my renewed GNIB in Sept 2012 with passport validity.

They sent for outside reports in April 2012 and still waiting.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 pm

blessed_sinner wrote:
IntegratedMigrant wrote:
blessed_sinner wrote:I applied on the basis of 7 years on stamp 4 and I also have Irish suppose and an irish born child. still waiting. just loving it.

You should hear from them before the next ceremony after May
I applied in Dec 2011. received the confirmation in 2 working days. Asked me for copy of my renewed GNIB in Sept 2012 with passport validity.

They sent for outside reports in April 2012 and still waiting.
hopefully, you'll hear from them in 3 months time

Babz
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Babz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

yearofsnake wrote:Hello,everyone. If there were no social welfare has been cliam and did not work (no tax is paid) since i came to this country on 1997, will that affect applyig citizenship? I was 16 when i came to Ireland and spend two years in boarding school, after that i study in a language school and college for four year but never work becoz my boyfriend was backing me , then we got married on 2005 so that i grant spouse visa (stamp 3 ,not allow to work),my husband got his citizenship on 2009 so i convert my stamp3 to stamp4 on 2010, and we got divorced on 2012 Dec, but before divorced i was already working in a hotel for five months long, then quit it on Jan 2013, so basically i only paid five months tax to revenue office, i am worry if this wiil affect the decision from minister to grant me the citizenshio or not? Thanks very much!!
My wife was on social benefit for much longer. I remember us going to a solicitor and the first thing he asked was if my wife was working and she said NO.And the solicitor told us her chances were next to none.
But that didn't stop us putting in her application. She got her approval letter in just over 8 months. Her neighbor was in the same situation and she got hers last month.
So far you can prove to them you are actively seeking employment (i.e proofs of job applications,responses from employers etc) that should be fine.
That's not saying it's easy though,bearing in mind everybody's case is different. It's worth giving it a try

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Babz wrote:My wife was on social benefit for much longer. I remember us going to a solicitor and the first thing he asked was if my wife was working and she said NO.And the solicitor told us her chances were next to none.
But that didn't stop us putting in her application. She got her approval letter in just over 8 months. Her neighbor was in the same situation and she got hers last month.
That is what I call a bad advice! (From your solicitor). As well as incompetent.

How could he be living him the past when his job is to live in the future?!.. Since 2011 after Alan Shatter came into office, I have never heard or seen anybody refused over being on social welfare. Even Alan Shatter himself described it as Nonsensical Reasons for refusing someone citizenship.

Your wife was lucky to have applied despite the bad advice from your solicitor who in-fact is still living in the year 2010 and before.

moro1

Post by moro1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I hope Alan shatter changes the citizenship law so it becomes a right after 5 years as long as the applicant doesn't have criminal offences( apart from small traffic one) this way we can secure some continuity. Because If he leaves office w can end up going back to the same old attitude

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 pm

moro1 wrote:I hope Alan shatter changes the citizenship law so it becomes a right after 5 years as long as the applicant doesn't have criminal offences( apart from small traffic one) this way we can secure some continuity. Because If he leaves office w can end up going back to the same old attitude
No matter how immigrants may want that to happen, it will never happen. 99% of the government will vote against it.

What you are asking Alan Shatter to do is make citizenship an entitlement and not an honor and privilege. I know some countries have it this way but Irish people will never allow that.

What I believe Alan Shatter should change is waive all the conditions in which ones citizenship could be revoke except if obtained through fraudulent.

Most countries dont revoke citizenship except if obtained through fraudulent unlike Ireland!.

This is so daft that if you're a Naturalised Citizen and leave Ireland, you must be certifying a form every year and be sending it to the embassy of the country that you are residing or here in Ireland or your citizenship could be revoked. How ridiculous can that be!. Honestly I think its the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

moro1

Post by moro1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:
moro1 wrote:I hope Alan shatter changes the citizenship law so it becomes a right after 5 years as long as the applicant doesn't have criminal offences( apart from small traffic one) this way we can secure some continuity. Because If he leaves office w can end up going back to the same old attitude
No matter how immigrants may want that to happen, it will never happen. 99% of the government will vote against it.

What you are asking Alan Shatter to do is make citizenship an entitlement and not an honor and privilege. I know some countries have it this way but Irish people will never allow that.

What I believe Alan Shatter should change is waive all the conditions in which ones citizenship could be revoke except if obtained through fraudulent.

Most countries dont revoke citizenship except if obtained through fraudulent unlike Ireland!.

This is so daft that if you're a Naturalised Citizen and leave Ireland, you must be certifying a form every year and be sending it to the embassy of the country that you are residing or here in Ireland or your citizenship could be revoked. How ridiculous can that be!. Honestly I think its the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
Totally agree with you, I am sure by time things will change there is a new generation of new Irish citizens from migrant background who will push things toward improvement

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 pm

moro1 wrote:Totally agree with you, I am sure by time things will change there is a new generation of new Irish citizens from migrant background who will push things toward improvement
That is very likely to happen but could take so many years. I would like it to happen in Alan Shatter's tenure. He will pay heed to that!

viking

Post by viking » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:01 pm

I spoke with the Citizenship operator yesterday regarding Spouse Application status which was applied in August'12 and she told me that they requested for Garda report in November'12(no employement & social welfare claims at all) which may take min.3Months to max.6Months to get back from Garda.

It's apparent that there is nothing that they can do at the movement but to wait for the report from Garda!

Wonder do you guys have the similar understanding?

Afrocommonwealth

NEXT CEREMONY PLS? ANY IDEA

Post by Afrocommonwealth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Can someone advise how many citizenship ceremonies were held last year pls? Also the months in between each ceremony? Finally, next ceremony in 2013 pls?

Emailed INIS today to confirm if they have receive my payment and other documents. Got a reply within 3mins saying they have received it and l will be invited to the next available ceremony.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Re: NEXT CEREMONY PLS? ANY IDEA

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Afrocommonwealth wrote:Can someone advise how many citizenship ceremonies were held last year pls?
I think 6 major ceremonies

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Afrocommonwealth wrote:Also the months in between each ceremony? Finally, next ceremony in 2013 pls?
Feb 2012
April 2012
June 2012
August 2012
October 2012
Dec 2012

Not 100% sure

Afrocommonwealth

Post by Afrocommonwealth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:19 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:
Afrocommonwealth wrote:Also the months in between each ceremony? Finally, next ceremony in 2013 pls?
Feb 2012
April 2012
June 2012
August 2012
October 2012
Dec 2012

Not 100% sure

Thanks
Probably we should be expecting 2nd ceremony in 2013 by may or june. Hopefully.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Afrocommonwealth wrote:Can someone advise how many citizenship ceremonies were held last year pls? Also the months in between each ceremony? Finally, next ceremony in 2013 pls?

Emailed INIS today to confirm if they have receive my payment and other documents. Got a reply within 3mins saying they have received it and l will be invited to the next available ceremony.
Last ceremony was on 11th of March. Previous one on the 13th of December, and I think the one before was in the beginning of October.

So it is every 2-3 months ... The next one will probably be between mid-may and early June.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Afrocommonwealth wrote:Thanks
Probably we should be expecting 2nd ceremony in 2013 by may or june. Hopefully.
Thats for sure. Its not gonna be longer than that.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 pm

jeupsy wrote:Last ceremony was on 11th of March. Previous one on the 13th of December, and I think the one before was in the beginning of October.

So it is every 2-3 months ... The next one will probably be between mid-may and early June.
Last year was every 2 months, this year has been very slow which takes 3 months.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:

Yes exactly. The revocation for not registering is stupid and should be changed.

And I personally don't think there should be an automatic entitlement for citizenship. Granting citizenship is an important decision for the State as once it is done Ireland will have to provide assistance to the citizen at home and abroad, aside from the stupid registration thing citizenship can not be easily revoked so once a person becomes a citizen it is forever, and the citizen will also start voting and influence the political life of the State. I think these are big things, and because a person spent 5 years in Ireland doesn't mean they are automatically fit for citizenship (if we were talking permanent residence I would think differently).
Of course I also think that refusing it for a traffic offence is ridiculous, but I agree with the fact that the State keeps a discretionary right to grant the request or not; as long as it is used in a reasonable way (which I believe has been the case in the past 2 years).

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 pm

jeupsy wrote:Yes exactly. The revocation for not registering is stupid and should be changed.
So for naturalised Irish citizens dont you think that should change fast? I mean most naturalised citizens are dual nationals. If they travel and live in their country of origin, what happens to their citizenship then?

It may be true that no ones citizenship has been revoked yet for living outside Ireland but that may change quickly with a new Minister.

I think all Naturalised Citizens should protest or write some form of a letter to the Minister explaining this.

yearofsnake
Newly Registered

Post by yearofsnake » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:24 am

Babz wrote:
yearofsnake wrote:Hello,everyone. If there were no social welfare has been cliam and did not work (no tax is paid) since i came to this country on 1997, will that affect applyig citizenship? I was 16 when i came to Ireland and spend two years in boarding school, after that i study in a language school and college for four year but never work becoz my boyfriend was backing me , then we got married on 2005 so that i grant spouse visa (stamp 3 ,not allow to work),my husband got his citizenship on 2009 so i convert my stamp3 to stamp4 on 2010, and we got divorced on 2012 Dec, but before divorced i was already working in a hotel for five months long, then quit it on Jan 2013, so basically i only paid five months tax to revenue office, i am worry if this wiil affect the decision from minister to grant me the citizenshio or not? Thanks very much!!
My wife was on social benefit for much longer. I remember us going to a solicitor and the first thing he asked was if my wife was working and she said NO.And the solicitor told us her chances were next to none.
So far you can prove to them you are actively seeking employment (i.e proofs of job applications,responses from employers etc) that should be fine.
That's not saying it's easy though,bearing in mind everybody's case is different. It's worth giving it a try
Actually i have neither cliam any welfare nor engaged any employment.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 am

IntegratedMigrant wrote: So for naturalised Irish citizens dont you think that should change fast? I mean most naturalised citizens are dual nationals. If they travel and live in their country of origin, what happens to their citizenship then?
Yes I definitely agree this doesn't make sense and should be changed ... Once you have granted citizenship to someone you shouldn't take it back unless the application was based on false documents or information - especially since some people would have to give up their previous citizenship to acquire the Irish one. That is also why I think granting citizenship shouldn't be an automatic entitlement after 5 years: I think once it is given it should be for life and therefore it is fair enough for the State to reserve the right not to grant it to some who isn't deemed to be of good character.

Having said that and even though I would like things to be clarified asap with regards to the 7 years abroad rule; as a naturalised Irish citizen I am not too worried about this and I very much doubt any government will actually use this.