ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Derivaz

Link for Good Character Rules

Post by Derivaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 am

D4109125 wrote:Have you had a trial or has your court case been dismissed? If it has been dismissed then yes write again to the home office with a letter from the court/police saying the case has been dismissed/you were found not guilty.
Amber

Do you happen to have a link to the Home Offices website where we can see all the good character rules that you have published? It's just in case the caseworker misinterprets something, rejects my application and I have to apply for re-consideration (as I have read here that has happened before); so I'd like to be able to explain why they made a mistake according to these rules, but I guess, they wouldn't accept a link to a forum as a valid source; so do you have the link to their official good character rules on their website?

Thanks in advance

Derivaz

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:44 am

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:44 pm

D4109125 wrote:Sure, see here (click)
Thanks, Amber :)

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm

D4109125 wrote:Sure, see here (click)
Thanks, Amber :)

polandcalling
Newly Registered

Post by polandcalling » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

I applied for naturalisation as BC over a month ago without using the NCS, got the COA 2 weeks after so I am now just waiting for an answer.

My dilemma is that my non EEA wife residence card EEA2 expires the first week of October and we are hoping I get my naturalisation application approved before that so then she could apply for naturalisation as the spouse of a British Citizen before her residence card expires.

But what if I do not get my naturalisation sorted by then? I guess in this case she will either just have to apply for permanent residence EEA4 as the spouse of an EEA national before her residence card expires but problem is that, if she does so, she will be required to send my passport too, but I do not have it with me as I sent it together with my application for naturalisation as BC, so my question is, would the Home Office still process her application without the spouse's passport?

the other option is that in November she will have been here exactly 6 years, she arrived in UK on November 2007 with a EEA spouse Family permit. I think she could also be eligible to apply for naturalisation as BC in her own right, isn't it? but her residence card will have expired by then. So I am not sure if the HO would still process her application?

Also what if my application for naturalisation as BC gets approved after she has sent her application for Permanent Residence EEA4? would she be able to withdraw her application and applied for naturalisation instead?

We are running against the time and any advice, suggestion, idea would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:51 pm

polandcalling wrote:I applied for naturalisation as BC over a month ago without using the NCS, got the COA 2 weeks after so I am now just waiting for an answer.

My dilemma is that my non EEA wife residence card EEA2 expires the first week of October and we are hoping I get my naturalisation application approved before that so then she could apply for naturalisation as the spouse of a British Citizen before her residence card expires.

But what if I do not get my naturalisation sorted by then? I guess in this case she will either just have to apply for permanent residence EEA4 as the spouse of an EEA national before her residence card expires but problem is that, if she does so, she will be required to send my passport too, but I do not have it with me as I sent it together with my application for naturalisation as BC, so my question is, would the Home Office still process her application without the spouse's passport?

the other option is that in November she will have been here exactly 6 years, she arrived in UK on November 2007 with a EEA spouse Family permit. I think she could also be eligible to apply for naturalisation as BC in her own right, isn't it? but her residence card will have expired by then. So I am not sure if the HO would still process her application?

Also what if my application for naturalisation as BC gets approved after she has sent her application for Permanent Residence EEA4? would she be able to withdraw her application and applied for naturalisation instead?

We are running against the time and any advice, suggestion, idea would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
1) If you have submitted your passport for BC; You can use your national ID (it you guys have it in Poland) for the EEA card. Your non EEA wife will need to send her passport, but that's not an issue, because she hasn't applied for anything yet.

2) If her EEA family permit expires; I'd apply for a new one before it expires; otherwise, she will be illegal and will have broken her residency, so I don't think she would be able to apply for BC after that.

3) if you apply for an EEA family permit and withdraw it after her current permit has expired, I'd think it's the same case, she will have broken her residency.

So, I'd say unless you got your BC soon enough, apply for a permit for her or she'll be in trouble.

Regards

D

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:52 pm

polandcalling wrote:I applied for naturalisation as BC over a month ago without using the NCS, got the COA 2 weeks after so I am now just waiting for an answer.

Thanks
1) If you have submitted your passport for BC; You can use your national ID (it you guys have it in Poland) for the EEA card. Your non EEA wife will need to send her passport, but that's not an issue, because she hasn't applied for anything yet.

2) If her EEA family permit expires; I'd apply for a new one before it expires; otherwise, she will be illegal and will have broken her residency, so I don't think she would be able to apply for BC after that.

3) if you apply for an EEA family permit and withdraw it after her current permit has expired, I'd think it's the same case, she will have broken her residency.

So, I'd say unless you got your BC soon enough, apply for a permit for her or she'll be in trouble.

Regards

D

polandcalling
Newly Registered

Post by polandcalling » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Derivaz thanks for your kind reply but I do not think you quite understood my post.
My non-eea wife came to Uk in Nov 2007 with a Family Permit valid for 6 months only and this expired in May 2008 so then she applied for a Residence Card using EEA2 form which was issued in October 2008 valid for 5 years so this is expiring at the beginning of October 2013.

I am from Poland and I have applied for naturalisation as a British Citizen so I am hoping this gets approved before October 2013 (which is when her Residence Card expires) and if it does, then my non eea wife could apply for naturalisation as a BC as a spouse of a BC in this case.

MY questions are:
1. what if my application for Naturalisation as a BC doesn't get approved by October? my non eea wife would then have to apply under European Law for Permanent Residence EEA 4 instead and she'd need to send her own passport as well as mine, the HO would not accept my Polish ID card for this purpose I think, but my passport is still in the HO so would her application for Permanent Residence EEA4 get rejected because she could not be able to send my passport?

2. Also in November 2013 she will have been exactly 6 years in the UK and as the European Law states that EEA nationals and their family members get automatically Permanent Residence after 5 years, then she became a Permanent Residence in November 2012, didn't she? and to apply for naturalisation as a BC, you should have hold Permanent Residence for one year, then in NOV 2013 she will have meet the requirements to apply for naturalisation as a BC in her own right, won't she?

The thing is, we could wait for my application to get approved so then she could apply as a spouse of a BC or even she could apply in her own right in November 2013 for BC but her boss has already told her that he will finish her employment when her Residence Card expires which is at the beginning of October 2013 unless she renews it and she really does not want to lose her job that is why she cannot really wait until November 2013.

The other thing I said is that if she applies for Permanent Residence EEA4 before her Residence Card expires and after that my application for Naturalisation as a BC is successful then perhaps she could withdraw her application for Permanent Residence EEA4 and apply for BC instead?

Any ideas, advice, suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:39 pm

polandcalling wrote:Derivaz thanks for your kind reply but I do not think you quite understood my post.
My non-eea wife came to Uk in Nov 2007 with a Family Permit valid for 6 months only and this expired in May 2008 so then she applied for a Residence Card using EEA2 form which was issued in October 2008 valid for 5 years so this is expiring at the beginning of October 2013.

I am from Poland and I have applied for naturalisation as a British Citizen so I am hoping this gets approved before October 2013 (which is when her Residence Card expires) and if it does, then my non eea wife could apply for naturalisation as a BC as a spouse of a BC in this case.

MY questions are:
1. what if my application for Naturalisation as a BC doesn't get approved by October? my non eea wife would then have to apply under European Law for Permanent Residence EEA 4 instead and she'd need to send her own passport as well as mine, the HO would not accept my Polish ID card for this purpose I think, but my passport is still in the HO so would her application for Permanent Residence EEA4 get rejected because she could not be able to send my passport?

2. Also in November 2013 she will have been exactly 6 years in the UK and as the European Law states that EEA nationals and their family members get automatically Permanent Residence after 5 years, then she became a Permanent Residence in November 2012, didn't she? and to apply for naturalisation as a BC, you should have hold Permanent Residence for one year, then in NOV 2013 she will have meet the requirements to apply for naturalisation as a BC in her own right, won't she?

The thing is, we could wait for my application to get approved so then she could apply as a spouse of a BC or even she could apply in her own right in November 2013 for BC but her boss has already told her that he will finish her employment when her Residence Card expires which is at the beginning of October 2013 unless she renews it and she really does not want to lose her job that is why she cannot really wait until November 2013.

The other thing I said is that if she applies for Permanent Residence EEA4 before her Residence Card expires and after that my application for Naturalisation as a BC is successful then perhaps she could withdraw her application for Permanent Residence EEA4 and apply for BC instead?

Thanks
Hiya,

I understood you :)

1) Yes, if she can't apply for BC and her card expires, she'll obviously have to apply for another card or she'd be illegal, if she isn't EEA. What nationality is she? if she is American for instance, she can stay 6 months as a tourist, but if she is pakistany, etc... i think she has to leave right away.
The HO will accept your Polish ID; they accepted mine for my PR card and the guide and form says that you can use is as form of ID; so you can if you are EEA, so her EEA family card application wouldn't be rejected due to that.
2) EEA citizens can apply after 6 years exercising treaty rights, no need for a card, but I'm not sure about their non EEA relatives; if the rule is the same as for EEA, then yes, she can apply in nov 2013

3) I don't think you are going to get your BC before october, so the logical thing to do is to apply for her card asap, actually, you should have sooner, because in october, her card will experice and she won't be allowed to work or even to live here (depending on her nationality).

What I'd do is renew her card as soon as possible, use your polish ID, for that application, I used my EU ID for that and had no problem, then whenever she's eligible, she can apply for citizenship, that's what I'd do.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 pm

polandcalling wrote:Derivaz thanks for your kind reply but I do not think you quite understood my post.

MY questions are:

Thanks
Hiya,

I understood you :)

1) Yes, if she can't apply for BC and her card expires, she'll obviously have to apply for another card or she'd be illegal, if she isn't EEA. What nationality is she? if she is American for instance, she can stay 6 months as a tourist, but if she is pakistany, etc... i think she has to leave right away.
The HO will accept your Polish ID; they accepted mine for my PR card and the guide and form says that you can use is as form of ID; so you can if you are EEA, so her EEA family card application wouldn't be rejected due to that.
2) EEA citizens can apply after 6 years exercising treaty rights, no need for a card, but I'm not sure about their non EEA relatives; if the rule is the same as for EEA, then yes, she can apply in nov 2013

3) I don't think you are going to get your BC before october, so the logical thing to do is to apply for her card asap, actually, you should have sooner, because in october, her card will experice and she won't be allowed to work or even to live here (depending on her nationality).

What I'd do is renew her card as soon as possible, use your polish ID, for that application, I used my EU ID for that and had no problem, then whenever she's eligible, she can apply for citizenship, that's what I'd do.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

This has nothing to do with Good Character.

polandcalling please continue in your other thread
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 pm

I have read through this thread and must confess that I am confused about the fixed penalty notices. My husband was given a fixed penalty notice in Dec. 2009 for driving otherwise than in accordance with a license. He was given three penalty points on his provisional license under the code LC20. Must he declare this when applying for naturalisation? If he does declare this FPN will it be viewed as him having a bad character?

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 am

If he was just given a FPN and be was not convicted then it will not be a bar, if he still has the points on his licence, just include a copy of the paper counterpart

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:11 am

madi wrote:my case has been dismissed.thaks amber
Madi

Did that case affect your application? theoretically, it shouldn't if it was dismissed; I wonder what the outcome of your application was.

Regards

D

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 am

madi wrote:my case has been dismissed.thaks amber
Madi

Did that case affect your application? theoretically, it shouldn't if it was dismissed; I wonder what the outcome of your application was.

Regards

D

habibi13
Newly Registered

Driving without license and insurance - aiding abetting

Post by habibi13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,guys,
I am due to apply for citizenship application and I would like to know if the following offences will affect the application or will they fall under non-custodial convictions and thus will be ignored as they are over 3 years old.
1. Code: LC22 Date of offence: 16/05/2009 resulted in no fine, disqualification or penalty points.
2. Code: IN10 Date of offence: 16/05/2009 resulted in £165 fine and 28 days disqualification and no penalty points.

habibi13
Newly Registered

Driving without license and insurance - aiding abetting

Post by habibi13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi,guys,
I am due to apply for citizenship application and I would like to know if the following offences will affect the application or will they fall under non-custodial convictions and thus will be ignored as they are over 3 years old.
1. Code: LC22 Date of offence: 16/05/2009 resulted in no fine, disqualification or penalty points.
2. Code: IN10 Date of offence: 16/05/2009 resulted in £165 fine and 28 days disqualification and no penalty points.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 pm

No as 3 years has lapsed since your conviction, any conviction at court will still need to be declared.

habibi13
Newly Registered

Post by habibi13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Great, Thank you Amber :lol: :lol: :lol:

sgc

Post by sgc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 am

Two questions ....

1) Alright, so the weird thing is, most people seem to get that cautions aren't criminal convictions, but in multiple discussions with different people (in person, on the phone, and through email) at the UKBA and NCS, they say that the information about cautions should be put in the section on convictions, with a note about it being a caution. This is contrary to the advice that I have been getting here, from an immigration solicitor on the phone, and at the CAB; and of course it appears to be contrary to the note about cautions not being criminal convictions by the UK Government. Honestly, it seems like the UKBA and NCS are out of touch with the rest of the country on this. However, since the UKBA and NCS are the ones in charge of these applications, presumably we should go by their rules?

2) Does anyone know what type of character check(s) the UKBA does? Standard DBS check? Subject access request? Something else?

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am

sgc wrote:Two questions ....

1) Alright, so the weird thing is, most people seem to get that cautions aren't criminal convictions, but in multiple discussions with different people (in person, on the phone, and through email) at the UKBA and NCS, they say that the information about cautions should be put in the section on convictions, with a note about it being a caution. This is contrary to the advice that I have been getting here, from an immigration solicitor on the phone, and at the CAB; and of course it appears to be contrary to the note about cautions not being criminal convictions by the UK Government. Honestly, it seems like the UKBA and NCS are out of touch with the rest of the country on this. However, since the UKBA and NCS are the ones in charge of these applications, presumably we should go by their rules?

2) Does anyone know what type of character check(s) the UKBA does? Standard DBS check? Subject access request? Something else?
1) I think you are right there

2) good question; it would be good to know.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 am

Cautions should be declared in the extra information box.

The Home Office have direct access to the PNC so can see all criminality data including current investigations.

sgc

Post by sgc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:53 am

D4109125 wrote:Cautions should be declared in the extra information box.

The Home Office have direct access to the PNC so can see all criminality data including current investigations.
What if the NCS doesn't agree to send it out if it's only put in the extra information box?

Is a subject access request the closest thing to PCN direct access records available to me?

Thanks.

madi

Post by madi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 am

hi derivaz.
nothing yet pal still waiting since 7 may. but i emailed them week ago, they goes (I have checked our records and can see that your application is still being processed by the casework team. Please note that the team aim to complete 95% of applications within 6 months, and I cannot offer an estimated completion date for any application.)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:53 am

The NCS should not refuse to put it in the extra information as it is not a criminal conviction. If they do refuse then make a complaint.

Yes a SAR is the next best thing.