ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

want to work in the uk legally.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

qaim
Newly Registered

Re: want to work in the uk legally.

Post by qaim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 pm

bob-russell wrote:There is one other possibility but it will not allow you to work. You are able to visit the UK (not work) on a visit visa (or visa waiver) and if you then decide you wish to marry during the visit this is now acceptable. It will not change the fact that you are still on a visit visa and would not be able to settle without returning home and jumping through the hoops described very accurately in the many posts above.

if the Immigration Officer suspects the main purpose of your visit is to get married then you are potentially in trouble and facing a near immediate trip home. If you decide once here that you hit it off there is nothing to stop you marrying as long as the Registrar is satisfied it is a genuine marriage. It used to be a requirement that you obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office before marriage. This is not the case now.

Do not play games with the UK immigration process, there are few or no loopholes and falling foul of the rules will cost you a lot of money and make future dealings with the UKVI a potential minefield.

Working on a visit visa will get your employer a £10K fine and you would be leaving the UK faster than Concorde did!

There has been some extremely reliable advice given here. Ignore it at your peril!
Hi Bob,

Apologies for intruding like this, but how sure are you that getting married on a visit visa would not cause any problems later when applying for settlement. Perhaps the UKBA may hold it against you for violating a visit visa rule? I am asking this because I would be very happy if this was acceptable. I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago on a visit visa and it was only due to this fear that I did not go ahead with my marriage plans. My visit visa is still valid for the next five years and I don't really wish to have it cancelled and apply for a fresh marriage visitor visa just to be able to go again and marry my fiance. my next visit is due in 2-3 months (not for marriage), so I was wondering if I could also have a registered marriage then? Please let me know if you are really sure there won't be a problem when I apply for a spouse visa.

Thanks

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 pm

qaim wrote:
bob-russell wrote:There is one other possibility but it will not allow you to work. You are able to visit the UK (not work) on a visit visa (or visa waiver) and if you then decide you wish to marry during the visit this is now acceptable. It will not change the fact that you are still on a visit visa and would not be able to settle without returning home and jumping through the hoops described very accurately in the many posts above.

if the Immigration Officer suspects the main purpose of your visit is to get married then you are potentially in trouble and facing a near immediate trip home. If you decide once here that you hit it off there is nothing to stop you marrying as long as the Registrar is satisfied it is a genuine marriage. It used to be a requirement that you obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office before marriage. This is not the case now.

Do not play games with the UK immigration process, there are few or no loopholes and falling foul of the rules will cost you a lot of money and make future dealings with the UKVI a potential minefield.

Working on a visit visa will get your employer a £10K fine and you would be leaving the UK faster than Concorde did!

There has been some extremely reliable advice given here. Ignore it at your peril!
Hi Bob,

Apologies for intruding like this, but how sure are you that getting married on a visit visa would not cause any problems later when applying for settlement. Perhaps the UKBA may hold it against you for violating a visit visa rule? I am asking this because I would be very happy if this was acceptable. I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago on a visit visa and it was only due to this fear that I did not go ahead with my marriage plans. My visit visa is still valid for the next five years and I don't really wish to have it cancelled and apply for a fresh marriage visitor visa just to be able to go again and marry my fiance. my next visit is due in 2-3 months (not for marriage), so I was wondering if I could also have a registered marriage then? Please let me know if you are really sure there won't be a problem when I apply for a spouse visa.

Thanks

There is nothing that, legally, stops a visitor from getting married.

However, to arrive with the intent of getting married breaks the visa rules. As such, arriving with no such intent, changing your mind while here (in a surprise turn of events!) and then getting married wouldn't be against the visa rules.

But if you turned up with a wedding dress over your shoulder and tried to come in on a standard visitor visa ... they'd get a bit upset.

Of course - this doesn't change the fact that you can't switch in country - so you'd have to leave anyway in order to get a settlement visa.

It's also worth noting the new provisions of the immigration bill (which don't yet have an enactment date) will extend the marriage notice period to 28 days and will allow the home office to put on hold an 'immigrant' wedding for up to 70 days while they investigate - and indeed refuse future visas if they think the marriage is exclusively for an 'immigration advantage'.

So if you're going to do it - I'd do it soon-ish.

M.

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks a lot for your reply! I am just not sure how I am going to be able to prove later when applying for a settlement visa, let's say after a year or two, that it was all unplanned. Do you know of anyone getting away like that?

I would be too happy to go there in few weeks and get married legally, but I am scared that it may be held against me later. They can later say due to violating the visa rule I can no longer be entertained or that I have no right left to appeal if my spouse visa is to be rejected.

Is there a way to ensure there won't be a problem if I were to get married on a visitor visa, or exactly what steps one has to take to be safe?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Get married a month or two after arrival. Have photos which show the proposal happening after arrival. Ensure all bookings are made after proposal etc.

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:33 pm

qaim wrote:Thanks a lot for your reply! I am just not sure how I am going to be able to prove later when applying for a settlement visa, let's say after a year or two, that it was all unplanned. Do you know of anyone getting away like that?

I would be too happy to go there in few weeks and get married legally, but I am scared that it may be held against me later. They can later say due to violating the visa rule I can no longer be entertained or that I have no right left to appeal if my spouse visa is to be rejected.

Is there a way to ensure there won't be a problem if I were to get married on a visitor visa, or exactly what steps one has to take to be safe?
You do not need to prove that you did or did not intend to marry before the visit! As stated above, should you arrive tuxedo, engagement and wedding ring in your bag and estimates for the wedding reception the Immigration Officer might be a tad suspicious. Why would they believe someone would come over specifically to marry someone they have not met in person unless this is a part of someones 'normal' culture?

If you arrive, decide to marry and satisfy the Registrar that it is a genuine marriage rather than a sham one then you are doing nothing wrong and cannot be penalised later! I am pretty sure that you cannot get a visa to marry someone you have not met. That is certainly the situation with settlement.

Why pay £85 (or whatever it is) for a visa that may be refused when it is quite legal to turn up at Heathrow and get what is in effect a free visa on arrival? Why commit to getting married to someone you have never actually been in the same room with?

Arrive, meet, make sure you can stand each others company then decide if marriage is right.

Nothing is going to allow you to work in the UK based on your relationship alone. If you do not meet the requirements for other visa types (eg student) then you need to meet the settlement visa requirements. If your spouse does not earn £18 600 or more the application will be put on hold until the legal wrangling has concluded.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:33 pm

qaim wrote: I would be too happy to go there in few weeks and get married legally, but I am scared that it may be held against me later. They can later say due to violating the visa rule I can no longer be entertained or that I have no right left to appeal if my spouse visa is to be rejected.
Well you wouldn't have violated any visa rules. The most important thing in that scenario is that you honor your original visitor visa: Leave when you're supposed to, don't work or take a class at a school, and still do all of the things you said your were going to do on that visit such as tourist stuff or visiting disparate family. If you happen to get married on a whim, so be it. It might look suspicious. It might not. It will certainly stand out and attract scrutiny in any case. But it is not strictly a violation.
MPH80 wrote:It's also worth noting the new provisions of the immigration bill (which don't yet have an enactment date) will extend the marriage notice period to 28 days and will allow the home office to put on hold an 'immigrant' wedding for up to 70 days while they investigate - and indeed refuse future visas if they think the marriage is exclusively for an 'immigration advantage'.

This might effectively kill the Marriage Visitor visa. The original point behind that visa was that a happy couple could come and visit the UK for week or so, get married, and go on back home with some nice touristy photos. Though I wonder if they aren't thinking of only applying this kind of rule only when one of the marriage participants is resident (whether temporarily or permanent) in the UK. It would make some real since then. The Certificate of Approval, while a degrading insult by its name and nature to honest people, did atleast force the facade soon-to-be-weds to hop through some sort of hoops to gain entry and leave to remain in the UK via this route. It just turned into a money making exercise once the UKBA realized it wasn't working anyway. A few staged photos, some forged utility bills, a stolen passport (or two) and it didn't matter if the two 'newlyweds' obviously couldn't speak English or communicate in any language with each other, were from radically different backgrounds culturally and geographically, and appeared in person to not know each other even as acquaintances. Now the fakes don't even have to go through that much trouble. Something has to be done.

But this is perhaps getting a bit off-topic for this thread.

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm

I can't thank you enough guys! I was really under the impression that if I were to marry on a visitor visa I would be violating a clear rule and I would bear the consequences of it later on. I understand that whenever I apply for a settlement visa I will need to satisfy the requirements, but I thought that in lieu of such a violation my settlement visa application would be held null and void.

Just one last question on this: should I ask my fiance and her family to make arrangements for the wedding and notify the Registrar prior to my arrival, or I should do all that after arriving there myself (so as to make it look like totally unplanned)?

By the way, would it be difficult to convince the Registrar in the absence of a marriage visa?

I just hope this goes well and does not cause any complications with my later settlement applications. I have heard of cases where due to some fraud or violations of the visa norms couples have been suffering a lot (I don't know the nature of those violations though). So I have been a little paranoid.

Thanks

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 pm

ouflak1 wrote: This might effectively kill the Marriage Visitor visa. The original point behind that visa was that a happy couple could come and visit the UK for week or so, get married, and go on back home with some nice touristy photos. Though I wonder if they aren't thinking of only applying this kind of rule only when one of the marriage participants is resident (whether temporarily or permanent) in the UK. It would make some real since then. The Certificate of Approval, while a degrading insult by its name and nature to honest people, did atleast force the facade soon-to-be-weds to hop through some sort of hoops to gain entry and leave to remain in the UK via this route. It just turned into a money making exercise once the UKBA realized it wasn't working anyway. A few staged photos, some forged utility bills, a stolen passport (or two) and it didn't matter if the two 'newlyweds' obviously couldn't speak English or communicate in any language with each other, were from radically different backgrounds culturally and geographically, and appeared in person to not know each other even as acquaintances. Now the fakes don't even have to go through that much trouble. Something has to be done.

But this is perhaps getting a bit off-topic for this thread.
Probably is ... but let's wander for one more post.

The issue UKBA have is that they can't actually stop someone getting married (without arresting them) - and it wouldn't surprise me if the investigation time is, in the end, found to be in breach of a right or two. What they can do is buy themselves time to note that this is probably a fraudulent marriage and then make the appropriate choice when the spouse visa lands.

I suspect this is more of a scare tactic than anything.

I don't believe it'll have any impact on marriage visitor as it's aimed squarely at those who'll gain an immigration advantage from marriage (e.g. qualification as an EU family member or spouse visa).

M.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:11 pm

qaim wrote:I can't thank you enough guys! I was really under the impression that if I were to marry on a visitor visa I would be violating a clear rule and I would bear the consequences of it later on. I understand that whenever I apply for a settlement visa I will need to satisfy the requirements, but I thought that in lieu of such a violation my settlement visa application would be held null and void.

Just one last question on this: should I ask my fiance and her family to make arrangements for the wedding and notify the Registrar prior to my arrival, or I should do all that after arriving there myself (so as to make it look like totally unplanned)?

By the way, would it be difficult to convince the Registrar in the absence of a marriage visa?

I just hope this goes well and does not cause any complications with my later settlement applications. I have heard of cases where due to some fraud or violations of the visa norms couples have been suffering a lot (I don't know the nature of those violations though). So I have been a little paranoid.

Thanks
I believe you should both be present to meet the registrar.

On the future applications - it won't cause problems because (if I remember right) you're going to live elsewhere for a good period of time so you'll be able to show you have a completely legitimate and subsisting relationship.

Other problems you see here are generally of people's own making (submitting fraudulent documents, choosing to make an in-country out-of-rules application rather than return home etc). If people play the game right within the written rules - the game is easy to win. If you try and work around the rules of the game too much - you get burned.

Getting married on a standard visitor visa where you had no intention of getting married before arrival is not outside the rules.

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 pm

It is making a lot of sense to me. I have a long term visit visa, valid for another 4.5 years. So, it is plausible that during one of my trips I decide to marry someone I like without worrying about returning home and applying for a fresh marriage visa. I think I was only concerned because every single google search that I did on the subject suggested otherwise. In fact, this expert advice is also hinting at possible problems later on. http://www.justanswer.com/uk-immigratio ... urist.html

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:42 pm

qaim wrote:It is making a lot of sense to me. I have a long term visit visa, valid for another 4.5 years. So, it is plausible that during one of my trips I decide to marry someone I like without worrying about returning home and applying for a fresh marriage visa. I think I was only concerned because every single google search that I did on the subject suggested otherwise. In fact, this expert advice is also hinting at possible problems later on. http://www.justanswer.com/uk-immigratio ... urist.html
To be clear - the relevant paragraph in this answer is:
If the foreign national knew that they were to be married during the visit then they should have applied for the above visa. If they didn’t and were then to marry then this could cause problems when they apply for settlement (ie. a spouse visa) at a later date.
(Where it is referring to the marriage visitor visa under 'above visa').

So it's entirely consistent with what we've been saying. If you turn up and KNOW you're going to be married during the visit - you need a marriage visitor visa. If you decide while you're here - you don't.

I think I get where you're misunderstanding too - it's this bit:
If they didn’t and were then to marry then this could cause problems when they apply for settlement (ie. a spouse visa) at a later date.
I'd (personally) re-write this to read:
If they didn’t have a marriage visitor visa, but did have the intention to marry and were then to marry then this could cause problems when they apply for settlement (ie. a spouse visa) at a later date.

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 am

I really appreciate it. It's just that the whole point of intention here is so problematic for me. I will be travelling there to attend to few other things but I will also get married there while on an ordinary visit visa. This is the only way I could prove to the UKBA that my intention wasn't to get married but it just so happened that I ended up marrying someone I knew during my stay there (which is not going to be more than two weeks). By the way, I have met her and her family during my last visit.

If you don't mind me asking again, are you also suggesting in your rewritten version of the statement that effectively one 'could' face problems later even if he had no intention to marry while entering the country on a visit visa but ended up marrying someone there?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 am

Ah - you didn't mention it's a two week visit.

The notice period with a registrar is 15 days.

So you'll need a bit longer than that for it to be a change of mind I suspect.

And - no - I wasn't suggesting that at all.

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 am

Thanks for pointing that out. In that case I will try to make it a bit longer. Would something a bit less than a month be ok?

Would you suggest that I did all this with the help of some solicitor just to ensure I was doing everything right, or there would be no need?

Finally, (I will try not to disturb you again...unless somerhinf else comes up :) ) I did not quite understand how you differed on that statement except that you just added the intention bit more explicitly, which I feel is something ambigious and can be scrutinised or even dismissed easily by the UKBA.

So far, I am fully convinced that one can marry on a visit visa as long as that's not what he came to the UK for. I also understand that no one can stop that once the registrar is happy to conduct the ceremony. The only bit which is still sligjtly concerning is that whether one can 'possibly' face issues with later applications for settlement visa, as the change of intention thing is difficult to establish, to say the least. Moreover, the UKBA do not even commit to acknowledging such a change of mind in writing, so they can use it against you if they wish to do so.

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Sounds to me that you need to apply for a marriage visit visa. Arrangements can be made in advance to book an interview with the registrar but with improved communication between the Registrars and the Border Force, it is quite possible that you might be bundled onto the next plane home as you admit you have not met in person.

Not sure how big a risk there is of information passing between the two organisations but there is increasing cooperation to reduce sham marriages. I would however, bet the registrar is going to be very suspicious of a marriage arrangement being made between two people that have not yet met. At the interview they do ask searching questions to see if a forthcoming marriage is valid.

If your visit is for a few weeks only then I fear you are on a hiding to nothing! With my track record I am hardly qualified to offer relationship advice but I would strongly recommend you visit, meet then make plans!!

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:53 pm

I have met her during my last trip to the UK, which was just a couple of weeks back. I went to her house and met the family as well. My family has been in touch with her family over the phone ever since. But how can I prove my meeting to the Registrar or UKBA, as the purpose of my last visit wasn't exactly that. I was in the UK on an ordinary visit. Although I had been in touch with this girl and her family for a long time but it was our first physical meeting.

Honestly speaking, what I fear is that if they reject my marriage visit visa application, I will loose both my current long term visit visa as well as the opportunity to go and marry her legally. Another problem is that I am now in Saudi Arabia and I can't have her visit me on a visit visa and get married because she has to be a legal resident here for that.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

qaim wrote:I have met her during my last trip to the UK, which was just a couple of weeks back. I went to her house and met the family as well. My family has been in touch with her family over the phone ever since. But how can I prove my meeting to the Registrar or UKBA, as the purpose of my last visit wasn't exactly that.
The reason why you met is irrelevant. As long as you've met. Do you have any pictures? The more the better, especially with her and her family.
qaim wrote: I was in the UK on an ordinary visit. Although I had been in touch with this girl and her family for a long time but it was our first physical meeting.

Honestly speaking, what I fear is that if they reject my marriage visit visa application, I will loose both my current long term visit visa as well as the opportunity to go and marry her legally. Another problem is that I am now in Saudi Arabia and I can't have her visit me on a visit visa and get married because she has to be a legal resident here for that.
I can't see them rejecting your marriage visit visa application unless there is some other reason that you have not mentioned here (finances, age, criminal/terrorist backgrounds). If you were to receive that visa, it would supplant your other visitor visa though. So that might be an issue for you regarding your original purpose of having that visa, depending on when/if you wanted to come for settlement.
qaim wrote:The only bit which is still slightly concerning is that whether one can 'possibly' face issues with later applications for settlement visa, as the change of intention thing is difficult to establish, to say the least. Moreover, the UKBA do not even commit to acknowledging such a change of mind in writing, so they can use it against you if they wish to do so.
If your previous visa was a Marriage Visitor visa, the natural expectation would be that your next visa to enter to the UK would either be a Spouse settlement visa, or a visitor visa where you are coming to take your wife and bring her back to your home country with you. But if instead you apply for a Exceptional Talent visa, and Ancestry visa, or a Tier 2 sponsored work permit, or whatever, etc... each of those visa applications will be decided on their own merit based on the amount and validity of evidence you give. There's absolutely no doubt that they will note that your are married to a UK resident. You would almost certainly be asked why you didn't apply for the Spouse settlement. But if your intentions are true and sound, and your evidence is satisfactory, your visa should be approved. They won't hold your getting married against you. It is a normal part of life. In fact, I would say that, although they are not allowed to hold any negative immigration history against you for a Spouse settlement visa, they would probably look at your applying for and adhering to all of the correct visas for your previous trips as a big positive.
MPH80 wrote: The issue UKBA have is that they can't actually stop someone getting married (without arresting them)
Well the Home Office directly, no. But a registrar can refuse to perform for any of a large set of valid reasons that they come up with. And if one of those reasons is that the Home Office informed them that the bride's passport was stolen, then that is certainly more than enough good reason to refuse.
MPH80 wrote:- and it wouldn't surprise me if the investigation time is, in the end, found to be in breach of a right or two. What they can do is buy themselves time to note that this is probably a fraudulent marriage and then make the appropriate choice when the spouse visa lands.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure... As far as human rights are concerned, the UK is in a non-binding agreement, made more binding by its membership in the EU. Article 16 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights wrote: Article 16(1)Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
When the COA was overturned, it was because it actively would disallow a marriage the UK government deemed a marriage of convenience. It's easy to see how that could prevent a perfectly willing and capable couple from otherwise getting married because they were not of the same religion, they were from different ethnic backgrounds, and/or they were from different countries. In fact, in the case that challenged this process, all three of those criteria I listed were met, and presumably were the reasons for the refusal. One thing to note here was that the cost of the COA was going up and up, with no reason to believe there was any end in sight to the amount they were charging. This likewise implied a possible financial burden that was unfair.

When I and my wife applied for the now defunct COA, we had to wait about 6-weeks for the certificates to come back iirc. We couldn't make any plans until we had them, which was frustrating as well as degrading. And the fact that a government, any government, could simply not approve of whom I want to marry is something I've still never truly forgiven. I was required to write a letter explaining ourselves, to accompany the application. In that letter I explained rather bluntly that whether they 'approved' or not, we were going to get legally married anyway, either in the U.S. or India. And that their 'approval' of our marriage was completely irrelevant to the unalterable fact that it was happening anyway.

So if they simply can now inform a registrar that they don't think marriage because the couple fits the profile of a marriage of convenience, and the burden is now an extended time frame instead of a pile of money, is that any more or less right than an offensive COA? What would be the result of the lawsuit if it was overruled? And what if they drop the whole profiling perspective and simply do document checking, looking into whether utility bills are forged, passports are fake, photos staged, etc.... If they limit their checks strictly to just that, would anybody really have a human rights challenge?

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:03 am

@ qaim,if you're worried about your long time visa,why can't you just get married at a neutral place. I think if you're getting married on your first visit they might question your intention, that wouldn't change the fact that you're married though but I don't think you want to get into long drawn out battle with this ppl.my advice is,if both of you can get married at a neutral country like US that will be good or you can on your subsequent visit to UK
I also hope you haven't told them in your first application that you haven't got a friend in UK and all of a sudden you're telling them you got married?

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:14 pm

@outflak1 Thanks. Unfortunately we did not take any pictures. I am regretting it big time now. How else could I prove my meeting with her and her family? I lived in the UK for about 6 to 7 years as a student until 2009 but I did not know this girl back then. In 2009 I had applied for my PSW which I never used and left the UK for good for a better employment opportunity in the Gulf. I came to know this girl through a friend and it all started from there. After leaving the UK in 2009 I travelled there again for the first time just a month ago. It was somewhat an official visit but I had the intention to meet her and her family as well to see if we could progress further. Thankfully, we clicked well and now we hope to get married as soon as possible so that I can bring her to the Gulf as my wife. In a few years time I might want to settle in the UK, hence I want to do everthing as carefully as possible.

By the way, I have a reasonable job offer from the UK but I am really better off where I am right now.

I have a good job, good education and no criminal history but given the current situation I fear they will reject my visa as soon as they feel I am intending to settle down in the UK. If that happens once, it may become extremely difficult for me to even visit the UK in future.

@ RaykingThank you for the advice. This has crossed my mind and I have been thinking about it seriously. I probably need to do some more research on that but it is indeed a good idea! I am not sure how easy that is going to be.

I only mentioned one friend in my application who has nothing to do with this girl.

Ideally speaking, it would be most convenient for me to visit the UK on my existing visa, get married legally and have her Gulf visa processed so that she could join me as my wife. However, I wouldn't like to do that at the cost of losing any future oopportunities to settle in the UK.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:21 pm

qaim wrote:@outflak1 Thanks. Unfortunately we did not take any pictures. I am regretting it big time now. How else could I prove my meeting with her and her family?
That's really unfortunate. I'm not certain how jump this hurdle except to arrange another meeting and 'stage' those photos. Maybe somebody else has other ideas.
qaim wrote:I lived in the UK for about 6 to 7 years as a student until 2009 but I did not know this girl back then. In 2009 I had applied for my PSW which I never used and left the UK for good for a better employment opportunity in the Gulf. I came to know this girl through a friend and it all started from there. After leaving the UK in 2009 I traveled there again for the first time just a month ago. It was somewhat an official visit but I had the intention to meet her and her family as well to see if we could progress further. Thankfully, we clicked well and now we hope to get married as soon as possible so that I can bring her to the Gulf as my wife. In a few years time I might want to settle in the UK, hence I want to do everything as carefully as possible.
This sounds perfect for a Marriage visitor visa. State your intentions as well as you have stated them here, with all supporting evidence, and you would be darn near an automatic. The biggest issue is the proof of meeting at this point.
qaim wrote:I have a good job, good education and no criminal history but given the current situation I fear they will reject my visa as soon as they feel I am intending to settle down in the UK. If that happens once, it may become extremely difficult for me to even visit the UK in future.
Again, unless there is some critical that you haven't mentioned, I'd say your fears are totally unfounded. You just have the proof-of-meeting hurdle to surmount. Once you've got the Marriage Visitor visa, have done the deed, and gone back to your home country, if later in your professional life you need to visit the UK on business, just apply for the same visa as before. It should be no problem at all.
qaim wrote:@ RaykingThank you for the advice. This has crossed my mind and I have been thinking about it seriously. I probably need to do some more research on that but it is indeed a good idea! I am not sure how easy that is going to be.
I have to say that I am wary of this idea. If you were to be married in a third country, the very next time you visit the UK, you would be under incredible scrutiny. There's just about no way they let you in unless you are going to settle in the UK, or you can prove you are just going there to get your wife and her back to your home country. I don't think they will bye any explanation that you are just 'visiting' the UK where your wife happens to live!
qaim wrote:Ideally speaking, it would be most convenient for me to visit the UK on my existing visa, get married legally and have her Gulf visa processed so that she could join me as my wife. However, I wouldn't like to do that at the cost of losing any future oopportunities to settle in the UK.
I really think that in your circumstances, the most convenient way forward is most straightforward. Arrange a meeting, this time with ample evidence of that meeting. Have her (and her family) visit you, or meet her in a neutral country, whatever it takes, but meet and 'create' that evidence. The Marriage Visitor visa and then whatever visas you need to bring your wife to live with you. If/when the day comes you then decide to move the family to the UK, this forum will be here. 8)

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I have to say that I am wary of this idea. If you were to be married in a third country, the very next time you visit the UK, you would be under incredible scrutiny. There's just about no way they let you in unless you are going to settle in the UK, or you can prove you are just going there to get your wife and her back to your home country. I don't think they will bye any explanation that you are just 'visiting' the UK where your wife happens to live!
I was almost trying to set my mind on this option but after reading your views on it I am quite concerned. I was already doing some enquiries. In fact, I was hoping to have this marriage registered in another country in the Gulf where some of my very close blood relatives live, so as to make it a family event at the same time. As per the information I have received, it could be done perfectly but it would take a couple of weeks to arrange everything.

Do you really think that the immigration guys at the UK airports will have the information about our marriage in a third country? If so, then I am sure they can cause some problem next time I visit the UK. What about those couples (where one of the partners happens to be a British citizen) who decide to marry in some exotic or romantic settings other than the UK? How do they manage?

I wonder if if I can find someone who has done something similar.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:47 pm

There is no law that says someone can't get married in a third country, I suggested that bcos I thought I read something like,he can't get married with her in Saudi or something?
Is it actually true that he needs to show pictures to proof they have met?I don't think that's the only way to proof that.
Since the application is gonna be after the wedding,you obviously can show you met when you came to UK with your passport showing your entry time,you didn't take pictures because you didn't know you gonna need it,there will be people around her who can attest to the fact that you met,I really don't think the law says you must present pictures,of course easier for you if you can but not necessarily the only thing you can present.
If you get married on visiting visa it's not as if you won't get the visa at the long run but expect a long battle and all that,there's definitely a financial reason why they charge 885 for fiancee or marriage visa and they would obviously question if someone tries to avoid paying that.
In summary just follow the laid down route or you'll still end up paying all you might try to avoid.But tbh,you've got nothing to worry about IF the lady loves you and wants you,no immigration whatsoever can quench that!

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:02 pm

What you should be concern about is evidence of communication from now till you get married, chats,phone logs,Skype and all that.
People do have arranged marriage and still get the visa of course, what you're worrying about isn't really what you need,start keeping and storing msgs,I'm sure you do communicate daily? That's all you need.

qaim
Newly Registered

Post by qaim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:55 pm

I am wondering if I should start a new thread asking whether someone has married a British citizen in a third country.