ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A quick question or two!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Andy,

Why the Bulgarian Embassy in Germany. I thought it is the one in the Netherlands you would need.

Have you heard anything from the Dutch.

Why don't you get Ann's cousin to arrange one for her in Netherlands. It would be more cheaper and probably they would provide address as well.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:15 am

We were never likely to go to Netherlands as the cost of flights are a lot more. We are going to probably go to Indonesia for a week to get the Bulgarian visa as I have now called 3 German embassies and they have all been passing me around.

We will go back to Manila on monday, after Ann's check-up and check we can get the visa there. Have emailed the Dutch embassy asking for Ann's passport back, originally the woman said we would be allowed to take it away.

It makes sense to be waiting for 2 visas at the same time, then all we have to do in Germany is catch another flight!

If everything fails (please god no!) then travelling together to Indonesia and then Germany and Bulgaria will build us a stronger case.

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 am

The cousin that agreed to say that we will be living with her has just gone on holiday for one week. I thought it was next week.

Shall I tell the embassy not to bother calling her this week? The problem is that they would only have the following monday to contact her, if she arrives back that day.

We were thinking of going to Indonesia for the Bulgarian visa, is it worth booking flights or doing anything as we are not sure if we will get the schengen.

I don't want to appear mean, but if I start booking flights to Europe and then to Bulgaria and the visa isn't issued it is money I can ill afford to lose! The other side of the coin is the flights become more expensive the later we are booking them!

fun fun fun!

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:01 am

panic over lol

she goes on holiday next sunday! So I will let the embassy know to contact her this week!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 am

I was just going to say before seeing your post, that the vacation will not affect her chances of securing her visa.

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm

So you think that we will definately recieve the schengen Obie? I am a little less optimistic!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Lets put it this way.

You are firmly on the right side of the rule.

A refusal should not even be an option in your case. The documents they requested, was totally uncalled for.

With these embassies, you sometimes don't know where they extract the rules they apply from.

However, i do think you should stay positive.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:18 pm

This post seems to have progressed into an "Obie, Andy & Ann" affair! Have you considered just PMng each other instead?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:30 pm

I am sure you are more than welcome as well Rozen, and your expertise will be hugely valued.
Last edited by Obie on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Obie wrote:I am sure you are more that welcome as well Rozen, and your expertise will be hugely valued.
:lol: Nah! Think I'll sit this one out, mate. You seem more than capable to help sort out their predicament, without my humble opinions. :wink:

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Well I do feel guilty about taking up so much of Obie's time with my stupid questions there is no doubt about it, and as Obie says you and others are more than welcome to chip in.

Anyway, if it was all hidden in private messages, then anyone else that has a similar situation is not going to learn anything.

Thanks for the reply Obie, am feeling a lot more confident now!

I will say that once this is all over, I won't be disappearing from the boards, I will try to help others with the experience that I will no doubt have gained.

All the best all!

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 am

First hurdle cleared!!!

We called the Dutch embassy today, as per their instructions and we go and pick up the Schengen tomorrow! It is a multiple entry and it is valid for 3 months!

Yippeeeee!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 am

andy and ann wrote:First hurdle cleared!!!

We called the Dutch embassy today, as per their instructions and we go and pick up the Schengen tomorrow! It is a multiple entry and it is valid for 3 months!

Yippeeeee!
Believe it or not, I was beginning to wonder what happened to you since the last time you posted! :wink:
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm really happy for you guys!
Welcome to The Netherlands!:)

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am

Thankyou so much we are well happy!

To see my wife calling her mum and telling her said it all really!

Awesome stuff!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

Excellent stuff. You must be thrilled and overjoyed.

Congratulations to you guys. Success at last. Your effort and determination certainly did not go in vain.

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks a lot Obie, although...
Your effort and determination certainly did not go in vain.
Quite a lot of that was yours! Thanks a lot!

Yes we are overjoyed, I have allowed myself the pleasure of a couple of beers tonight! I just booked the first flights! Unfortunately we are going to Frankfurt, Germany. The flights to there are half the price. 570 pounds for us both!

I will probably hire a car for a week as it seems it will be much cheaper than public transport and head to The Hague to get her Bulgarian visa. I guess I will book the flights to Bulgaria in the next couple of days. I think that a week should be sufficient to allow for the visa application?

Cheers all!

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm

booking was cancelled:
Your Opodo booking reference ******
Further to our conversation as we are unable to issue tickets on booking originating from Manila due to govt.regulations .
we are unable to issue your tickets so regrettably we will have to release your reservation.

I can confirm that no money has been debited from your payment card.

Thank you for booking with Opodo, please revisit www.opodo.co.uk to make alternative travel arrangements.
Now what? Are we unable to book any tickets leaving here? I tried to book directly from the airline and am also unable to. I tried with 2 cards, and then phoned the bank and my card is working fine.

Totally exasperated!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:35 pm

Would you not use another travel agent? Opodo are often very expensive. Try http://www.skyscanner.net/.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi Benifa,

I have been searching tons of agents. I managed to get the flights on opodo for 560pounds for 2. Most others are about 50% and upwards more than this.

I just don't understand the restrictions? Will I be unable to book any flights from Manila? What exactly are the government restrictions?

Unbelievable!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Would you care to share your preferred itinerary (dates, destinations)?

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:21 am

we are very flexible really. Happy to go anywhere in the schengen area.
The flights which we had booked were for 7 September from Manila (mnl) to Frankfurt (fra).

happy to leave a few days earler or later, but not much later.

I think the reason for the cancellation is something to do with being atol registered? From what little I managed to google. The airline was etihad airways, I will try and see if they have an office here somewhere today.

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:56 am

Things are looking up again! I called the airline and reserved the flights, the lady seemed to think it will be no problem to pay with the credit card, we will go to the office once we get Ann's passport and visa. An extra 80 pounds, but will be well worth it if it works!

I honestly began to think yesterday that we were destined to stay here forever!

Sorry all!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 am

Ah right, so you have your flights sorted, you do?

Hang on -
andy and ann wrote:The flights which we had booked were for 7 September from Manila (mnl) to Frankfurt (fra).
But your wife's Schengen visa was issued by the Netherlands embassy?

andy and ann

Post by andy and ann » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 am

We were able to book the flights yesterday at the airline office. The Schengen was indeed issued by the Netherlands embassy. The reason for this was that the Germans were acting illegally and demanding lots of additional documents. I have since emailed them and will be reporting them to Solvit.

Rather than bother with the Bulgarian embassy in Germany we are going to The Hague in The Netherlands to get it there. I will hire a car at the airport and go straight to The Netherlands to get it sorted. Therefore we will spend the majority of our time in the Schengen area in The Netherlands, not that it matters from what I understand.

The Bulgarian embassy in Germany are also acting illegally so I will also report them too!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:18 am

That must be a huge relief. You are right though about the Schengen Visa.

Your wife doesn't have to use it to go to the Netherlands. She can use it to Germany, and then, as you planned hire a car to the Netherlands, which is certainly within the normal rules.

So long as she is with her EEA national spouse, she will be fine, even if you choose not to go to Holland.