ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test website

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:00 am

has anyone had to answer of those population based questions

e.g. what is the percentage of bangladeshis in the UK 0.2

or what ist he percentage of chinese in the UK?

zircon

Post by zircon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:13 pm

Can any one suggest me a good URL or CD links for the life in the uk test please?

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:04 am

Passed the Life in the UK test last Saturday. It was very easy, read chapters 2,3 and 4 and did one practice test.

Reached the test centre at 2:50, test started at 3:02, got my certificate at 3:10.

Some questions were based on:

1) Two Religious festivals of ethnic minorities
2) Head of state
3) Illegal to produce, suppy cannabis
4) UK MP's tasks
5) tobacco age

etc..

Just read the chapters 2,3 and 4 and you will be fine
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

Jay007
Newly Registered

Life in the UK test

Post by Jay007 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:44 pm

hi people

does anybody know much about L.I.UK test.

who need to take the test .

i've got an indefente leave to remain

got my Alevels is well do i still require to take the test ?

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Jay007:

*Everyone* applying for naturalisation needs to take the test, regardless of your level of English or where you come from.

Shabrawy:

The test certificate will still be valid in 10 months or however long- it doesnt expire.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

abc009
Newly Registered

Post by abc009 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:18 pm

i think everyone should take life in uk test... if wants to apply for naturalization... even if u have ILR...

maibesa
Newly Registered

Post by maibesa » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:54 pm

Actually , everyone takes the test at some point before naturalisation.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:51 am

hello,

A friend of mine is eligible for naturalisation on 2nd august. Can she still do the life in the UK test in the old format (since the next 3 months is a transitional phase)?

lclabre
Newly Registered

Post by lclabre » Fri May 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Hello,

I understand there are now 2 editions of the Life in the UK handbook. Is there any difference between them in terms of substance? Is it better to take the test based on the first edition rather than the second, or vice versa?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon May 07, 2007 1:06 am

i think it is easier doing the test on the basis of the first edition.

Do you know if some one who is applying for naturalisation in august can sit the first version of the test, in that case they can get it out of the way.

jwalker
Newly Registered

Post by jwalker » Fri May 11, 2007 8:30 pm

I've cleared the exam and for those whose exam is due, PM me your mail id for a free pdf copy of first edition "Life in the UK" Test material

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 pm

I did the second edition test and I didn't notice any question for chapters 5 and 6. Possibly they haven't been integrated into the exam yet, don't know. All I can say is that it was easier than my practice exam so easy I thought something might be wrong

If you do a good reading of the book, practice on some test exams you should have no problem

maple leaf

Post by maple leaf » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Hello all

Do you have to offer your Home Office reference number when you went to exam? I have no clue if I have a number or not

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:16 pm

maple leaf wrote:Hello all

Do you have to offer your Home Office reference number when you went to exam? I have no clue if I have a number or not
No you don't.

maple leaf

Post by maple leaf » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:45 pm

stedman wrote:
maple leaf wrote:Hello all

No you don't.
So I do not need to offer the test centre a Home Office reference number :)

Thank you :D

Euclase
Newly Registered

Post by Euclase » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Can anyone actually recommend a few good sites for practise tests ?

These two are free but there a few glitches ..

This one Is against a clock, but I keep getting the same questions all the time :roll:

And this one is quite exhaustive Click Here and long but I think there are a few errors .. I havent checked but I was pretty sure the population answer was wrong .. however if someone goes in and finds that I was wrong feel free to correct me :wink:

If anyone knows of any other free sites that they used, I'd be grateful. At the moment I'm just reading my summary notes from each of the chapters each night before I go to bed and then re writing the notes in my lunch break at work so it all sinks in.

I'm sitting my test on Monday wish me luck ! :D

Euclase
Newly Registered

Post by Euclase » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Just a small update, those sites do work along with a bit of study as I did my test this morning and was all done in 8 mins and I passed !

If I can pass then anyone can ! :lol:

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:14 pm

One issue with the UK test, is that the centers are very hungry for cash, don't want you to use credit cards. When I paid cash, they didn't want to give me a receipt. I think something underhanded is going on with this approach.

joseB
Newly Registered

Post by joseB » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:28 am

Hi Euclase,

http://www.britishexam.com

There is free practice exam

Euclase
Newly Registered

Post by Euclase » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:11 pm

Your right, a lot of places dont like payments by credit card, when I was ringing around trying to get a placement everyone but one said Cash Only. The only place that did take credit cards happened to be the place I went to in London, but the machine was broken on the day, they did give me a reciept though, no questions asked, they also checked your ID about 3 times as well !

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:14 pm

The ID check I understand
This reluctance to accept anything but cash is suspicious
Good to hear not all of them are acting up. The receipt I got is really weak, no stamp on it or address to indicate what its for or what centre its from.
And I wanted to write someone of authority about the situation but I checked the website and there is no one to complain to about any situation.
It is clearly unregulated and will be abused until I guess they start charging VAT per HSMC requirements.

remontado
Newly Registered

Another one

Post by remontado » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:30 am

JoseB,
Here is another one very similar to the official test and with lots of free questions: http://uklifetest.com

piglet

Life in the UK test

Post by piglet » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:14 pm

I have just passed my test.

For everyone here: this test is super easy, don't let anyone scare you that it is not.
If you have lived in the UK for some time, and regularly read the papers and watch TV, and with a little bit of general knowledge, all you would need to do is read the book once and pass no problem. I mean, you don't even have to get it 100% right, only 75% and over.
It is actually so easy that I wondered what was the point of this test. It certainly won't discourage anyone from applying for anything. I don't mean to be rude, but a person really has to be extremely stupid and/or ignorant not to be able to pass this test. It is a multiple choice type test, and lots of questions are amazingly simple, such as: What is the official residence of the Prime Minister? I mean, whoever doesn't know that it is no. 10 Downing Street doesn't really deserve to apply for naturalization/citizenship. To make the long story short: it is super easy, read it once/couple of times and you should be fine.

Also, they still accept sitting the test from the old edition (first book) till September. So, if you have the first edition book, and don't want to buy the new book (and have to read one additional chapter), hurry up and sit the test.

And, it is not true that they ONLY take cash. I have just sat for my test in Kensington test centre, and most of the people, including myself, were paying by debit or credit card.

So don't listen to everything people say, as some people have no idea what they are talking about, or want to make it harder/more complicated then it really is (perhaps it makes them look smarter, who knows).

Read the book, sit the (super easy) test, and good luck!

davebolwell
Newly Registered

Post by davebolwell » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:34 pm

I know that its hard to find a local esol course. Our nearest one is 25 miles away and what with work and a baby we cant get to it. So that leaves the test but my wifes isnt yet fluent enough in english to be able to properly read the study guide and take the test. I know every one seems to think its a good idea that everybody speaks english (general attitute of the english to everyone i think, even when we go on holiday). But 2 years is not long enough to learn the language and i dont think the government has thought out how this test effects families where one spouse is foreign and they like my wife cant realistically do either. And no offence to anybody living in the UK from the EU but it really bugs me that an EU citizen can live here freely but the husband or wife of a UK citizen who hails from out side the EU can not.

http://www.lifeuktest.co.uk

nkoe
Newly Registered

Seeking advise!

Post by nkoe » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi! i´m in the same situation most of you are and i would like to know of any particular experiences using the thousands of paid "test packages" that are said to help you for the test. Are they any good? i mean, most of them are advertised to work, though they are priced (this one for instance). I checked out others that are for free, but can anyone give advise or at least assure that they are worth it? do they actually help?
Thanks a lot. :D