ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano - People seeking residence on basis of child

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu May 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Muttsnuts wrote:I agree with you that Zambrano is here to stay but there are still questions to be answered. It's not clear as to what will happen where for example, one parent resides with the Irish child in Ireland while the other is not in Ireland. What level of support should the absent parent be providing to the child in order to qualify to come within Zambrano to enter Ireland on the basis of having an EU Citizen child? Or even where both parents live in Ireland in separate addresses?

Then there are the even more remote questions raised by Zambrano such as if the ECJ has extended the concept of EU Citizenship so as to remove the requirement of a cross border element in order to rely on EU Treaty rights? The cross border requirement has been chipped away at in other areas of EU law e.g competition law. This was seemingly shot down in McCarthy but I think this issue will arise again in the next two years in the ECJ if not sooner due to the unique facts of McCarthy.

I think there is definitely a requirement for more exact guidance from the ECJ on the decision in Zambrano. From the Member States point of view, they will be doing everything to argue that Zambrano must be interpreted very restrictively.
I believe the points you have raised are valid, but the national courts can assess that.

Without sounding too restrictive, i believe Zambrano applies to parents on whom a minor child is dependant on. That dependancy can be emotional or financial. The fact that a child does not live with a parent who is claiming rights under zambrano, does not mean the parent is precluded.
Lots of fact has to be established, like whether there is a consent order or access rights order in place, whether their is a defacto agreement between the parents, whether the child sees the absent parent on a regular basis, whether the absent parent is in a position to pay maintenance, and if that is the case, whether he/she contributes financially to the child's upkeep. Although in most application under Zambrano, the parents would not have a valid leave to remain or enough resource to pay maintenance, which is why they have applied under this provision.

The national court would be better placed to access the whole circumstance involved and then make a decision, whether in all the circumstance it is appropriate to apply this ruling.

The assessment of the court will be confine to absent parents, but if both the parents live with the child or children, there is no question of whether or not the ruling should or should not apply.

Apart from the above the only circumstance where the ruling cannot apply is case where public policy and security is involved.

I believe there is no issue of "acte clair" in Zambrano in my view.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a parent, who was simply a sperm or egg donor, without any further contribution to the child's life should benefit. I don't think the ruling extend in scope to those people.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Thu May 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Obie wrote:
I believe the points you have raised are valid, but the national courts can assess that.

Without sounding too restrictive, i believe Zambrano applies to parents on whom a minor child is dependant on. That dependancy can be emotional or financial. The fact that a child does not live with a parent who is claiming rights under zambrano, does not mean the parent is precluded.
Lots of fact has to be established, like whether there is a consent order or access rights order in place, whether their is a defacto agreement between the parents, whether the child sees the absent parent on a regular basis, whether the absent parent is in a position to pay maintenance, and if that is the case, whether he/she contributes financially to the child's upkeep. Although in most application under Zambrano, the parents would not have a valid leave to remain or enough resource to pay maintenance, which is why they have applied under this provision.

The national court would be better placed to access the whole circumstance involved and then make a decision, whether in all the circumstance it is appropriate to apply this ruling.

The assessment of the court will be confine to absent parents, but if both the parents live with the child or children, there is no question of whether or not the ruling should or should not apply.

Apart from the above the only circumstance where the ruling cannot apply is case where public policy and security is involved.

I believe there is no issue of "acte clair" in Zambrano in my view.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a parent, who was simply a sperm or egg donor, without any further contribution to the child's life should benefit. I don't think the ruling extend in scope to those people.
I have to disagree with you. These were the very types of questions raised by Judge Cooke (the current High Court Judge in charge of the asylum lists) in his press release a few days after Zambrano came out.

Also on a restrictive reading of Zambrano, the removal of a separated non-EU father (or mother) who does not have custody would not result in the child having to leave the EU, therefore not interfering with the child's EU rights. Therefore that parent could easily be removed without infringing on the child's rights.

Obviously, a less restrictive reading would be that the child's rights as an EU Citizen (especially under the Charter of FUndamental Rights) say that the child shuold be able to maintain personal contact with parents and potentially the removal of one parent could conflict with that.

I'd like to stress that I'm neither for or against Zambrano. I think that the judgement in principal is a fair result but the judgement still raises many questions on the interpretation side that would need to be answered by the ECJ.

The Irish High Court is not going to touch the above matter with a barge pole because the acte claire doctrine does not apply. A question of 2 conflicting EU Treaty rights can only be answered by the ECJ in the absence of any clear case law on the matter.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm

What are you saying is the conflicting Judgement with Zambrano? McCarthy?

Judge cooke may be in charge of the list but the other Judges might have their own view of Zambrano and whether further references are indicated.

Do you think Minister Shatter was a bit premature with his statement? Maybe (disappointingly) he is having a re-think. It will cost the State a fortune to refer more cases to the ECJ.

The "Zambrano List" of cases is before the Ct Monday for mention and apparantly the Minister has not yet announced what the State's position is. :shock:

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu May 26, 2011 3:39 pm

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:What are you saying is the conflicting Judgement with Zambrano? McCarthy?

Judge cooke may be in charge of the list but the other Judges might have their own view of Zambrano and whether further references are indicated.

Do you think Minister Shatter was a bit premature with his statement? Maybe (disappointingly) he is having a re-think. It will cost the State a fortune to refer more cases to the ECJ.

The "Zambrano List" of cases is before the Ct Monday for mention and apparantly the Minister has not yet announced what the State's position is. :shock:
Cooke will likely rule on those cases, that is assuming he is still in charge of the list.

It does not say alot for any courts, when the composition of judges can't share a general view, whether in ECJ or Ireland. How about making arguments on the basis of the case as oppose to predicting the size of one's foot (you , being a lawyer, will know that one from the law of Equity)

Zambrano suggests that actual movement is not neccessary. McCarthy says that actual movement is neccessary.

Zambrano, there is no requirement to comply with Article 7 , in McCarthy there is a requirement.

Zambrano showed that the Treaty can be invoked where there is a genuine risk of deprivement of right to live in the EU. In McCarthy, and in many cases pending in the Irish Court, there is no such certain risk of deprivement of right to reside in the whole of EU

McCarthy made clear, that in cases involving adults, the Treaty can only be invoked in exceptional cases.

Going back to the Irish cases, it is possible that the court might kind, in cases where one parent has legal status and the other parent has not, there is nothing stopping the irish child from staying in Ireland - its a possibility, from what I have heard. (not the most realiable source, I would accept)

Hogan J won't buy that, Supreme COurt would be very very very interesting, Hardiman J will have a "hard on" and say empathetically no, but Denham will say yes. Hence it is important that these case go to ECJ

As for Shatter, I reckon he will eventually want to change the domestic policy, I am not saying its a bad thing to do so, but it would possibly be political suicide in light of the current economic situation (whether its moral or imoral is another matter). But yes, from a political point of view, the statement was premature.

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 pm

As u said..Yes sry i can only text speak cos am using me mobile so i ve limited words.R u ok with that?
Oh be careful so u dnt get attacked...thats the most childish thing i ve seen..its like a cop dieing hard for backup. Anyways point of correction youse might ve same view with ur political whatever and as i said politics.ie is there 4 youse. Mr muts tho d ? wasn 4 u,am glad u answered it but sry to say thats not a str8 answer.lets say the German Government n their High court had some issues and they
We are nothing but like pencil in the hands of our creator God Almighty

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Thu May 26, 2011 5:35 pm

took it to ECJ,Germany will be the member state that took it to ECJ simple answer no need for d long explanation.Mr Mutsnut I do not disagree with your view on Zambrano which is exactly what i am interested on,not d political story but ur view is different 4rm Mr Walsgrumble who started involving the Romanians n Bulgarians then to Asylum seeker,Economy blabla.As for d main ? 4 Zambrano (1 parent having legal status n d other not having)U should b aware that was part of Dermot's/Govt. domestic law n thanks

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 pm

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:What are you saying is the conflicting Judgement with Zambrano? McCarthy?

There is a conflict in the Zambrano and McCarthy cases as pointed out by walrus gumble above. The conflict I referred to in my post is the conflict in EU Rights in the example I gave. The childs right to direct contact (provided for in the Charter) with their parent and the childs right to reside in the EU. Removing one parent infringes the right of direct contact and potentially infringes the childs right to free movement in the EU.

I don't think Shatter was premature in his statement. He has taken a (small) proactive step but the State will take a "wait and see" approach to the other cases. On Monday the State will probably request further time to consider the judgement in the light of McCarthy and this will be granted. Ultimately some cases will have to go to hearing and probably to the ECJ.

Then again, the State may take a definitive position on Monday and it could be completely at odds with my predictions. Nobody knows as of yet!

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm

to Mr walsg who said it already....except Shatter changes d domestic law no u r wrong smart mule,he is not changing it, he il definitely make ammendment like how non eu family member of Irish citizen r treated and some other disgustn aspect made by Dermot/d Govt(Dermot's Regime) u also said,its nt a bad thing 4 u if e does it..Lier its a bad thing to u stop pretending.To prove how dull u r u complaind of economy if e changes d law as u said,compare that to d money it will cost d state if had continue with

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Thu May 26, 2011 6:39 pm

"by contrast with the case of Ruiz Zambrano, the national measure at issue in the main proceedings in the present case does not have the effect of obliging Mrs McCarthy to leave the territory of the European Union."
This is the key part of the Judgement isn't it? The Court in Zambrano and McCarthy said Directive 2004/38 didn't apply. There's not necessarily a conflict between the two cases.

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 am

Mr walsg, as i said compare that to d money it woul ve cost d state,if those pending High Court cases were to go on.U r very wrong,cases of ppl with no status or deported has bn sorted out,I knw of 3 ppl who were deported n they ve returned bk 2 Ireland..Its clear u r fan of Dermot and his D.law well check out d recent hearing 4rm Hogan J regardn hw d spouse of an Irish national was treated n deported.Hogan said minister's decision(Dermot) was disappropriate/ unreasonable in all circumstances,all e said

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 8:31 am

Patiently waiting 4 a reply of u Mr Walsg considering d fact am usn me mobile or u waiting for another backup b4 cryingout with ur shit? any1 interested should check bailii on d internet and read d recent hearing 4rm Hogan J on how non eu spouse of an Irish was treated,4 those of u not familiar with Bailii just go to google and type in~ Irish times deportation
Yet Mr Walsg likes that sort of ministerial rubbish 4rm Dermot,feeling uncomfortable with what Shatter is doing al in d name of Politics my feet

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Fri May 27, 2011 8:44 am

Morrisj wrote:Patiently waiting 4 a reply of u Mr Walsg considering d fact am usn me mobile or u waiting for another backup b4 cryingout with ur shit? any1 interested should check bailii on d internet and read d recent hearing 4rm Hogan J on how non eu spouse of an Irish was treated,4 those of u not familiar with Bailii just go to google and type in~ Irish times deportation
Yet Mr Walsg likes that sort of ministerial rubbish 4rm Dermot,feeling uncomfortable with what Shatter is doing al in d name of Politics my feet
Sorry I can't understand this at all :roll:

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 am

thanks Morrisj,
How did I miss this case...

Order to deport wife violated marriage rights
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 41550.html

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0985 ... enDocument

The Court warned that Constitutional rights could not be treated by the Minister as if they were mere discards from dummy in a game of bridge in which the Minister as declarer has nominated the integrity of the asylum system as the trump suit. In the present case, the Court concluded that disproportionate weight had been given to the need to maintain the integrity of the asylum process and that the entire assessment of the position of the parties in general was unbalanced. The Court held that the Minister’s decision was both disproportionate and unreasonable in law and that it struck at the very essence and substance of the applicants’ family rights under Article 41 of the Constitution. Accordingly, the Minister’s decision not to revoke the deportation order was quashed by order of certiorari.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Fri May 27, 2011 9:08 am

this was a helpful judgement but the facts of the case were somewhat exceptional... still, I do think that the High Courts could/ should have got around to overturning Ali & Asibor based on a proper assessment of the child's Constitutional rights and proportionality. I think some lawyers think Judge Hogan is a beacon.

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks Acme for making it simpler for him.Yes immig.lawyer it may be exceptional but d domestic law/immigration bill created by Dermot,that allowed non eu family members of Irish citizens to get deported(refusing residency)asylum seeker or not is wrong n shouldn be so in d first place.Irish deserve equal right or more right than other Eu citizens in Ireland bt its d opposite,Dermot mainly caused this but shatter is trying to make ammendment yet Mr walsg seems to be uncomfortable with it

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks Acme for making it simpler for him.Yes immig.lawyer it may be exceptional but d domestic law/immigration bill created by Dermot,that allowed non eu family members of Irish citizens to get deported(refusing residency)asylum seeker or not is wrong n shouldn be so in d first place.Irish deserve equal right or more right than other Eu citizens in Ireland bt its d opposite,Dermot mainly caused this but shatter is trying to make ammendment yet Mr walsg seems to be uncomfortable with it

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Morrisj wrote:As u said..Yes sry i can only text speak cos am using me mobile so i ve limited words.R u ok with that?
Oh be careful so u dnt get attacked...thats the most childish thing i ve seen..its like a cop dieing hard for backup. Anyways point of correction youse might ve same view with ur political whatever and as i said politics.ie is there 4 youse. Mr muts tho d ? wasn 4 u,am glad u answered it but sry to say thats not a str8 answer.lets say the German Government n their High court had some issues and they
Mobile, ah sure why didn't you not say that? Must be fierce addictive this site, going to all that trouble to getting on the mobile. LOL

Most childish thing? Ahem, maybe you and your friends need to look back at your responses before making such a comment. I was being sarcastic as there is very little that has being said by one other poster that has not already being said, at no "attacks" have been on him/her, quite rightly. We seem to have changed your tunes since?

It is not a straight answer? Have you bent eyes? Please point out where in my answer I have not been straight. What part of it would you like me to clarify. Is it a case that you don't like the answer or you just are unable to understand things, or the possibility of other people's views? Please do highlight what part you would like me to clarify. I am lost with your comment on the German's, please clarify in full when you get the time.

Any chance of not avoiding my question? What would your attitude towards Shatter be if he does not or cannot implement fully his promise of March-April? WHat happens if he "u turns" on previous statements while in opposition, regarding things like delays in citizenship etc?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Political?, You, a person who has no rights or vote in Ireland or EU, that is making the political comments; demanding Ireland change its domestic laws or that EU interefere in a member state's laws when it has no right to do so.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Morrisj wrote:Thanks Acme for making it simpler for him.Yes immig.lawyer it may be exceptional but d domestic law/immigration bill created by Dermot,that allowed non eu family members of Irish citizens to get deported(refusing residency)asylum seeker or not is wrong n shouldn be so in d first place.Irish deserve equal right or more right than other Eu citizens in Ireland bt its d opposite,Dermot mainly caused this but shatter is trying to make ammendment yet Mr walsg seems to be uncomfortable with it
Why is is not wrong? The ECtHR does not think so, and in most part (unless there is a child) ECJ don't seem to think so.

An asylum seeker came to a European Country to seek protection and nothing else.

If they wanted to seek family reunification, that person should have applied for visas and made family reunification applications BEFORE coming over. If they wanted to come to Europe simply for a new life and to find a wife/husband they should have made applications for visas.

It is expected from people who are dependent on immigrants on work visas, and it is expected from people who actually get refugee status to make applications to the department before they are allowed to bring family over.

So, why should failed asylum seekers be treated more favourably?

It is well known, even in Brussels (EU HQ) that there are far more refusals and successful asylum decisions. It is well known that many applicants are in fact economic migrants. Its also well known that many of these people claimed that they had no passports and visas upon entery, that they were smuggled, thus entering illegally.

It is acknowledged that some people are not as honest as others. Ireland got roared at by Brussels for having such lacked citizenship laws in 2004. Brussels were very quick to changed their citizenship laws after Zambrano. Desparging remarks of being the back door to Europe. So to say the EU member states (as oppose to the institutions like the ECJ) are completely at odds with Ireland now, is rather naived.

"that allowed non eu family members of Irish citizens to get deported(refusing residency)asylum seeker or not is wrong n shouldn be so in d first place.Irish deserve equal right or more right than other Eu citizens in Ireland bt its d opposite,Dermot mainly caused this but shatter is trying to make ammendment yet Mr walsg seems "

If you have failed in your asylum case and its safe to return that person, that person will get a deportation order. Then so long as that deportation order is legal and correct, they should be asked to go home. They did not have a right to stay in Europe never mind engineering a new family unit. Whats the point having laws if they are going to be breached and abused?

I am uncomfortable about people from safe countries (not dangerous or famine stricken) coming to Europe, telling lies about their country and costing the taxpayers (regardless of nationality) millions. They do this in order to avoid legitimate legal procedures being in places because for whatever reason, they are unlikely to be invited or permitted into the EU. I have a massive problem with them then engineering a situation of creating a family in such a quick time and hiding behind that family unit in order to avoid, otherwise preferctly legal deportation orders. The world is not open boarders and the EU gives rights to EU citizens only.

No government puts it to their people what they should do regarding immigration policy so why should the government be allowed to run off on one without some consultation with the people - that argument lies perfect for you to criticise Fianna Fail's previous policies.

Shatter has done nothing of the sort, so far. He has been FORCED by the EU to do so. Its so early yet.

It is also accepted by the European Court on Human Rights, that the courts do not have to respect a family members choice of residence and there will need to be a very good reason to allow residence if marriage occurred after deportation orders. McCarthy indicates that the ECJ may (I say May) be willing to consider applying similar harsher stance as the ECtHR

The good thing about the Irish law, is that its clearly flexible and is there to meet the current climate without legislative delay, and Shatter and his government could pretty much completely reverse most of the immigration rules if they wanted too.. The bad thing is , very few know what the policy is. THe INIS have been extremely sceptical of the intentions of some in the past, that is why they took the view they did.

At this point, its irrelevant, because the current economic situation won't see too many asylum cases.

Come on now, answer the question, what would YOUR COUNTRY do if it was in this situation?

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 pm

U r always bothered about my country,age infact my identity n even said bn honest is not my forte,y dnt u paste n this ur personal details n include maybe a photograph of u.Shatter will not do any U turn or take bk his words,Dermot cn do that its like u r mistaking Dermot for Shatter,If u wanna be a politican since u ve d right to vote (Ireland 4 Irish as u eejit n crew normally say)then do that quietly.Zambrano is here to stay except for clarification which no1 here can sort out except 4 Judges so y dnt

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to ask u 4 clarification
1.Pls cn u clarify what exactly is ur problem with Zambrano Judgment(no lies pls cos i cn refer u back to ur previous comments about Zambrano)
2.can u also clarify if the immigration /residence bill Dermot introduced was fair in respect on how family members of Irish citizens,if u fink its fair and Shatter didn even agree with it& called it Dermot immi./residence bill,what gave u d impression to think e will make a Uturn regarding his statement?

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Fri May 27, 2011 7:58 pm

1more thing plz when making clarification to my ?s just give me str8 answers,no story,no politics because those r ur instruments for twisting words,playing ur pranks on d foolish people bt surely d wise people can see everything clearly.I bet if u were to choose btw Judge Cooke combined with Dermot and Hogan with Shatter,u il definitely choose d former cos they did what u prefer,protecting Ireland yeah?even both of us r not better than d muslims u condemned when u made comments abt Shatter.Who r u 2 Judge

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat May 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Morrisj wrote:U r always bothered about my country,age infact my identity n even said bn honest is not my forte,y dnt u paste n this ur personal details n include maybe a photograph of u.Shatter will not do any U turn or take bk his words,Dermot cn do that its like u r mistaking Dermot for Shatter,If u wanna be a politican since u ve d right to vote (Ireland 4 Irish as u eejit n crew normally say)then do that quietly.Zambrano is here to stay except for clarification which no1 here can sort out except 4 Judges so y dnt
The reason for asking about your country and your country's attitude to other nationals, Morris, is to point out the probable hyprocrisy of alot of what you say, when criticising Ireland ie your country is no better or its worse - it's then for your to respond.When I say criticism, I don't refer to all criticism as even I would agree with you on some issues. (eg dealys on citizenship applications - its not good, but it can't be helped). It is a case of who "the hell do you think you are?".

Honesty, refers to, probably unfair accusation (if I am wrng), of how you /or many others got into the country. Certain statements made by posters indiciate an acception that it is okay to tell lies of persecution and put your country into a bad light. When people leave their own countries for another, they are embassadors of their country in their new home.

The asylum system is not the correct process for people who simply want a better life economicly. Whether you like it or not, neither is the EU an open boarder. The point here, is, due to the trend, it has diluted the asylum process, leading decision makers to find it difficult to believe many people's cases, causing alot of lies and misunderstandings by the natives which is created by the media and assisted by politicans. It is the people who genuinely need asylum who loose out ie long delays and years living on €20 in shitholes. During my time in the department, I witnessed and learned cases where many pregnant women, from safe - safeish countries who came to Ireland and within 2 months, or less gave birth to Irish citizens. That part is not neccessarily the problem. In an ideal world, a child should be entitled to the citizenship of the country that they were born in. But the major problem was that the parent immediately, and I mean that literally, drop their asylum cases. How come? Not afraid anymore?

When the IBC 07 renewal scheme was in place, I heard a lot of grumblings from friends in the department who read the parents passports and noticed stamps proving that they had returned to their country of origin for short holidays, as any normal immigrant would naturally do. What's the problem with that you might ask? Well, the idea of granting refugee status it that one is terrified of returning to their country, that its not safe to send them home. Well, then, how come they were okay with returning and coming back safely? If a person who actually gets asylum was found to have returned to their country of origin for whatever reason, it is likely that there status as a refugee will be revoked! (They can travel anywhere bar their country of origin/place where they were persecuted)

How do you think people who got work permits and did everything correctly feel?They got absolutely no assistance when they came here. (May I make it clear, it would be wrong to allow asylum seekers live on the streets)

The age thing, I do not care about your age, you are the first person to raise the age issue. Have you forgotten?

Shatter is like any other politican. U turns do happen. I would point out that Shatter is an honest broker. Speaking as someone who knows whats goes on in Ireland and someone who actually knows these guys, Dermot and Shatter are two very different people. One was a careerist (Aherne), the other (Shatter) is in politics for the correct reasons. You are still forgetting one thing. It is the government as a whole who makes policies and not just the Minister. The Departments themselves power and influence over the capability of any Minister. May I suggest to go to youtube and watch a sitcom for the 1970's called Yes Minister, to give you a flavour of politics in UK and in Ireland.

Where did I say "Irish for the Irish"? I have never suggested that. Only unintelligent morons run that line when they have nothing else to say, sure go on , you can never be taken seriously. You are the only eejit, and it returns to the very reason I ask of your attitude and opinion to what happens in your own country. Even if I was one of those people, and you are correct, they are eejits, they have ever right to express their view, they have a vote. Why should they be quietened down by you? People have a genuine fear of Ireland turning into a country like the UK which has gone through serious facial and culture clashes. Its people don't have unity. God forbid the German Chancellor said only 2 -3 months ago that multiethnicity has failed. Irish culture, if strong enough, will always survive. Most people are self confident enough not to worry about silly ideas that they will be lost if a wave of immigration is allowed. Its a nonsense line used by people like the BNP

What I say is, if you are from the EU, welcome. If you are invited to come to Ireland via work permits, welcome. If you are not from the EU then by all means come over, but make sure you are legal and are able to be self sufficient

Returning to Zambrano, yes it is here to stay, but subsequent case law can make it redundant, especially where people hope that the idea can apply to adults. For minor children, it is here to stay. But very few people in the future will be able to rely on it as most countries have and will tighten up their citizesnhip laws

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat May 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Morrisj wrote:Thanks for giving me an opportunity to ask u 4 clarification
1.Pls cn u clarify what exactly is ur problem with Zambrano Judgment(no lies pls cos i cn refer u back to ur previous comments about Zambrano)
2.can u also clarify if the immigration /residence bill Dermot introduced was fair in respect on how family members of Irish citizens,if u fink its fair and Shatter didn even agree with it& called it Dermot immi./residence bill,what gave u d impression to think e will make a Uturn regarding his statement?
Lies? You and your friends are the only ones who do that. Hyprocisy too. If I can recall from the Dual Citizenship/McCarthy discussion, eiher your good self or another poster, I think 9jEireann finally admitted that they could not care about the judgment as it has no effect on them. It took them ages to get it out of them (ie I had pointed out a number a scenerios of potential discrimination and highlighting that they did not really care but where happy to shout it was not irrelevant, when it clearly was)

1. Problem with Zambrano,

As I have said least 3-4 times on this very thread, it rewards a section of people who have abused the system. It will possibly reward some parents who have had no history of active parenthood as they were not in the country for a period of the child's life. Now again, if the domestic court decided to reverse Lobe, I can live with it.

The second and main problem with Zambrano is that the judgment, without any lawful grounds, interfere's , regardless of how nobably, in an area (ie internal affairs) that the Treaty and secondary legislation does not provide for and even goes further than previous caselaw. There is even little or no legal basis for their argument that the EU is more than rights to free movement to another country. As for the aspiration of EU citizenship being a fundamental right in the future, that is merely a wet dream of the ecj and pro federalists. Member States have publicly refused the notion of a Supranational European Union. The Constitution of the referendum is clear proof. Countries want some control of their soverignity. Unless and until the countries are happy to sign away more soverignity like the new notion of citizenship as aspired by Zambrano, then the ECJ can't interfere.

The third problem with Zambrano is that it unwittingly creates a form of discrimination. If the child is born in a country and is a citizen, the non eu parent can live here regardless of if that parent can support themselves. However, if a child is German and the child's parents were deported from Germany, they only way the parents can live in Ireland is via the case of Chen, which requires self sufficiency. That is discrimination of nationality. There is also discrimination on the basis that a german etc who wants to come to Ireland must comply with the Directive. There is also a current discrimination(though gone in 2014) on single & childless romanians/bulgarians who now want to come to ireland but must have a work permit in order to do so. This is not what the pro eu people wanted.

2. Immigration Residence Bill
The law on family reunification, particularily the law on citizen child is merely a repeat/confirmation of the Supreme Court decision of Lobe. Just the same as the laws in the Directive 2004/38 EC are merely a repeat/confirmation of ECJ caselaw spanning 20 years. The Irish people had a clear reason to wish to change the citizenship laws in 2004 ie to stop incidents like Lobe ever occuring again.

Yes it is fair, if and only if, the family were only here for no more than a year before the birth of the child and did not have status. The laws created the trend in a reduction (not neccessarily small) in economic immigrants incorrectly using the asylum procees, as oppose to work visa schemes, in order to enter Ireland as there was no incentive. It is also fair that a father who has been out of the child's live for 2-3 years should be allowed to now come and live here,strictly on the basis of the child's citizenship, especially if there is no evidence that the father never supported his family by sending money over.

Regarding people married to Irish nationals, many non eu people WILL get legal status on that basis. If the non eu person has been illegal (and no deportation order) but living in Ireland for over 4 years, and can show that there is a genuine relationship and marriage, via documentary evidence, then it is LIKELY that that non eu citizen WILL STILL GET STATUS!!!! The cases that are reported on the media and court involve couples who only get married only AFTER deportation orders. I think it is fair to refuse, SOME of these. Why be allowed to stay on basis of marriage when they were not allowed to stay in the first place?

Why? The couple knew the risks, the possibility that they may be separated, but they still went ahead with a marriage that they might not have normally gone through so sudden, bar the deportation order. They have thrown themselves at the mercy of the Constitution, which the Irish Courts and the ECtHR themselves have said, one can't do.

3. U Turns and Statements.
Are you referring to the Statement regarding the Zambrano Case?He said that the would go ahead to review all cases that involve citizen children. Fair enough. He suggests, the impression that I got, that he will give status regardless of the findings of the High Court, who have already stated that it wishes to send some cases to ECJ which he should not do (nothing stopping him), unless he brings in legislation. Its an interference of the court's jurisdiction. Also, he ignores the fact that the ECHR and ECJ have set out guidelines in dealing with people who are at risk of deportation due to regular criminal offences, by simply stating that its not our policy to grant those people status. He should have said nothing there and wait until he actually reviews the case and the law. its prejudicial.

He has gone ahead and confirmed that parents on stamp1-2-3 can go ahead and get their new stamps. Well that is fine, no problem, their cases are stronger than even Zambrano. But he has done little, so far on the other cases, which indiciates, that he will now, in fact wait for the court's verdict, as one should do.

Are you referring to the other cases? Did Shatter ever suggest that people who have deportation orders can succeed if they later create families with Irish people? I don't recall. Did Shatter look at the Department of Finanace and Employment stats, as any immigration division does, when making such comments whilst in opposition? How many politicians whilst in opposition ever carry out what they previously promised whilst in opposition? Shatter has the task of convincing a majority Dáil to get his policies passed (not neccessarily difficult) Will he dare do what other politicans, including his own leader, have failed to do and actually have an intelligent and constructive discussion on immigration without any fear from unelected voices frompeople like immigration control or dearly beloved against beloved etc? (he is brave enough). Considering that immigration is reducing and the country is trying to keep their own people from living, will an immigration bill be a priority in this term? (i do not know)

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Morrisj wrote:1more thing plz when making clarification to my ?s just give me str8 answers,no story,no politics because those r ur instruments for twisting words,playing ur pranks on d foolish people bt surely d wise people can see everything clearly.I bet if u were to choose btw Judge Cooke combined with Dermot and Hogan with Shatter,u il definitely choose d former cos they did what u prefer,protecting Ireland yeah?even both of us r not better than d muslims u condemned when u made comments abt Shatter.Who r u 2 Judge
Ok, so do what people like Irish Tom, or people like you and others SOMETIMES do? Spout out generalities or statements without any explanation or back up evidence?

Immigration laws are a legal and politcal issue, some legal and political discussion is unavoidable. You have cited caselaw to support your argument (and rightly so)

As for the words I use, I keep most very simple. THere are online dictionaries and if you do not understant what i said, why all means ask me to clarify instead of going off on a statment that turns out to be stupid, incorrect or unfair.

One clarification I ask of you now; what "pranks" are you referring to? Jeez you are an awfully defensive person.

How much do you bet? Both Judge Cooke and Hogan are highely trained and intelligent judges. The former spent time in the European Courts (ECHR) so knows what he is talking about. The latter is an immenient Constitutional Lawyer and is a very much welcomed addition to the Irish Courts.

But, here lies your misunderstading of how the Court, or should I say Judicial Review works. It can only interfere in a Minister's decision if it is unlawful, dispropriationate (as defined by caselaw, which there are several debates as to the correct test) and where information / evidence was not considered..Intentionally the Fianna Fail government never put immigration in the statue books and turned it into an adminstrative decision which is likely to change in order to meet the changing environment. The Courts can't interfer with it. As for the laws, unless there is a good reason not too, the judge is bound by precedent. So there is no guarantee, no matter how Hogan would wish, that Hogan would decide a case any different to Cooke. Furthermore, the judges in the Supreme Court may not agree with the High Court on the interpretation of the law. Our Constitutional rights are not absolute and can't for most part outweigh the "common good" (whatever that is) Even Article 8 (Art 8.2) of the ECHR points that out.

With regard to Shatter and Aherne, its too early to comment on Shatter. Aherne did nothing. But you again fail to note that its the GOvernment Cabinet that decides this and not the Minister alone. We know little on what the other members think.

Google the most recent commets of Dept of Justice Secetary Sean Alyward.

"protecting Ireland yeah?even both of us r not better than d muslims u condemned when u made comments abt Shatter.Who r u 2 Judge"

Protecting Ireland from what? Goodman, just when I thought intelliegence was returning, you spout out the race card.

They are representing by the people of Ireland who vote them in. There jobs is to improve Ireland, including the non Irish who live here.

What has one's religion got to do with it? Quite alot of immigrants are christian and none believers. we have many muslims who are european. i have no problems with people of the muslim faith, i know some. How am I condemning them? Since when has a country's right to control its boarders considered persecution? how is one persecuting a muslim if they are returned to their country of origin which is SAFE? What is so special about a particular religion, should they get special status? What are you really insinuating? When did I say people should not apply for asylum if they really need it? why can't "muslims" not go and apply for work permits? where does it say in eu law that if you are not a family member at the time you entered europe, a non eu citizen has full and the same rights as eu citizens? it was made clear to people who got ibc in 2005 that they had no rights to family reunification, they knew the risks so parents should have come over then. face it, the eu only want the best skilled non eu people coming into europe that is why it has restrictions.

at this point, you really should highlight where you are from or even the region, because you are the only person who is twisting and lying here. point out what and how you mean i am condeming a person of a certain religion.
Last edited by walrusgumble on Sat May 28, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.