ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gggg123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Gggg123 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 am
Gggg123 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 am
Hello ,

Anybody from Bristol City Council. I contacted them yesterday and they confirmed the HO does not sent certificates regularly and they do not have visibility on when they will arrive. Also no plans for virtual ceremonies. Any body managed to get their certificate ? Approved end of July.

Thank you
Im Bristol! Received my decision today... So expecting a loooooong wait for the ceremony. Shame they dont do online ceremonies :(
Yes you should just go about your life and forget about it for the next few months! Its just frustrating. I was thinking of approaching my PM but not sure if it is too early to do that given the 12 week thing everybody talks about ! This is my 9th week.

saaji93
India

Post by saaji93 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi Guys

I didn't get any approval email or ceremony letter from HO .
But when I enquired about the status of my application during First week of May , they confirmed the citizenship ceremony documents not despacthed to local council and will do after the restriction for cornavirus eased .

I am from newham council .

Is any got approved during May and done ceremony on Newham council?

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Gggg123 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm
oxana777 wrote:
Gggg123 wrote:
Hello ,

Anybody from Bristol City Council. I contacted them yesterday and they confirmed the HO does not sent certificates regularly and they do not have visibility on when they will arrive. Also no plans for virtual ceremonies. Any body managed to get their certificate ? Approved end of July.

Thank you
Im Bristol! Received my decision today... So expecting a loooooong wait for the ceremony. Shame they dont do online ceremonies :(
Yes you should just go about your life and forget about it for the next few months! Its just frustrating. I was thinking of approaching my PM but not sure if it is too early to do that given the 12 week thing everybody talks about ! This is my 9th week.
Haha yes I know. Initially I had some hope because i didnt see anyone moaning about Bristol, so I thought maybe they are good and doing virtual ones. But now im back to reality and will just patiently wait! Hopefully you will receive yours soon!

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi guys, Just receive the ceremony letter from council for ceremony invitation which is next week, But letter saying I need to bring my HO invitation on that day which is I have not received yet . Hope it will arrive before my dream day,All the very best guys.

ped4
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by ped4 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:55 pm

hi all
applied in march, decision received 10 May...called my council today in oldham they confirm they have my details for ceremony, all am waiting for now is letter from HO, my council said they cant book me in until i have received the invitation myself

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:58 pm

mr_iyamu wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 am
Hello everyone,
I've just received a letter from mcr council booking me in for a ceremony but it states that I need to bring my home office invitation letter which I am yet to receive. Any suggestions please?
Hi mate, I think we going to ceremony together, They booked me for ceremony next week.

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Wahidwadid wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:58 pm
mr_iyamu wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 am
Hello everyone,
I've just received a letter from mcr council booking me in for a ceremony but it states that I need to bring my home office invitation letter which I am yet to receive. Any suggestions please?
Hi mate, I think we going to ceremony together, They booked me for ceremony next week.
Congratulations and the wait is finally over... I am approve 31st July so still got to wait a while ...

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Wahidwadid wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:51 pm
Hi guys, Just receive the ceremony letter from council for ceremony invitation which is next week, But letter saying I need to bring my HO invitation on that day which is I have not received yet . Hope it will arrive before my dream day,All the very best guys.
Really thought you said you sent them email last week and they said , they don't have your certificate yet so how come they send you letter quick..

Stef03
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stef03 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:44 pm

qulain1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 am
Hi everyone,
Please see below for an update from Hertfordshire council (responses are highlighted in yellow):
---------------------
"Could you kindly address the following questions:
1) Some councils have initiated virtual citizenship ceremonies, Hertfordshire Council is yet to do so. Will we implement virtual ceremonies in our council and push for the complete digitization of the process to avoid further delays? Currently we are not offering virtual Citizenship ceremonies as we have been able to resume our ceremonies in person; the facility for local authorities to offer virtual ceremonies was put in place to allow the local authorities who were unable to resume the usual service to still provide a service while they were getting ready to revert to the usual procedure.
2) Has the backlog been cleared? If not, what’s the latest month of approval received? I hope that you are now receiving certificates for those who were granted citizenship in July 2020? Unfortunately, the backlog at the Home Office has not yet been cleared. As far as I'm aware, the most recent certificates we received were granted Citizenship in April or May 2020.
3) In the light of recent covid restrictions, are you receiving certificates on a weekly or monthly basis? We are still receiving certificates weekly, as is the usual process.
4) Could you please check if my certificate is present in the latest batch received, HO reference xyz? We have unfortunately not yet received your certificate from the Home Office, and therefore are not able to book in your ceremony just yet."
----------------------
The backlog is huge so it is hard to understand why all councils are not implementing virtual ceremonies to resolve this topic!
I am Hertfordshire constituent as well. They did resumed the ceremonies end of July. I keep constantly in touch with them asking for updates, and unlike other councils, they are always kind and patient and always addressing queries swiftly. Bless them. My approval date is June 10th and they informed me yesterday that my certificate is still not with them.

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 pm

vicky000 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 pm
In Wandsworth council too. Got HO approval the end of August and just had ceremony in the town hall this week. I initially sent an email according to the council website guidance but got impatient waiting around since it already took 6 months to approve my citizenship. So I called the council and chased for a slot in the ceremony and they gave me a slot on the phone which was two days away.

So if you don't want to wait around, maybe try calling them, that might speed up the process.

Thank you . Had you received the invitation letter though? I haven’t yet..

Gioldn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm
Im Wandsworth too.. approved beginning of August .. so I will have my ceremony in 2021? Please if you could post it once you receive the invitation letter...thanks
gbalague123 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Wandsworth council here
Approved in May.
No Ceremony invitation yet
I sent an email. This was their answer :

Dear xxxx,

You are not on our database at present, but you will be added to our system in due course once we receive your certificate from the Home Office.

Please note that we are currently booking ceremonies for people who received their invitation letters before lockdown, so it may be a little while before we can schedule a ceremony for you.

Please contact again us in a few weeks’ time when hopefully we will have your certificate and have cleared the backlog.

Your patience is much appreciated.

Kamipu
Newly Registered
Uzbekistan

Post by Kamipu » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi all,

New here, but decided to share my experience. Applied online to naturalise on 5th August 2020, been given appointment for the Biometrics on 19th August 2020. Decision about successful application and citizenship being granted letter received via email on 2nd September 2020. Contacted my council (Newham) about the resuming ceremonies, they said once I will get my Invitation for the ceremony I will be able to book my ceremony. Great! Waited till today, gave a call to UKVI Citizenship & nationalities phone number.As I am impatient person and once I have received information and decision want all to be resolved. Had to wait a while till get connected, but worthy. Lad was very polite, after I have explained him all my story, he asked to be on hold for a minute. Then he explained to me, that I suppose to expect my invitation letter by the end of October. It will be sent directly to my Council and not me. So then Council should contact me. He said around that time to contact my council, if it is not receiver, to give a call to HO again. Hope this will help to many of you with the questions unanswered by HO.

Regards,

Greatness1
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Greatness1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Stef03 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:44 pm
qulain1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Please see below for an update from Hertfordshire council (responses are highlighted in yellow):
---------------------
1) Some councils have initiated virtual citizenship ceremonies, Hertfordshire Council is yet to do so. Will we implement virtual ceremonies in our council and push for the complete digitization of the process to avoid further delays? Currently we are not offering virtual Citizenship ceremonies as we have been able to resume our ceremonies in person; the facility for local authorities to offer virtual ceremonies was put in place to allow the local authorities who were unable to resume the usual service to still provide a service while they were getting ready to revert to the usual procedure.
2) Has the backlog been cleared? If not, what’s the latest month of approval received? I hope that you are now receiving certificates for those who were granted citizenship in July 2020? Unfortunately, the backlog at the Home Office has not yet been cleared. As far as I'm aware, the most recent certificates we received were granted Citizenship in April or May 2020.
3) In the light of recent covid restrictions, are you receiving certificates on a weekly or monthly basis? We are still receiving certificates weekly, as is the usual process.
4) Could you please check if my certificate is present in the latest batch received, HO reference xyz? We have unfortunately not yet received your certificate from the Home Office, and therefore are not able to book in your ceremony just yet."
----------------------
The backlog is huge so it is hard to understand why all councils are not implementing virtual ceremonies to resolve this topic!
I am Hertfordshire constituent as well. They did resumed the ceremonies end of July. I keep constantly in touch with them asking for updates, and unlike other councils, they are always kind and patient and always addressing queries swiftly. Bless them. My approval date is June 10th and they informed me yesterday that my certificate is still not with them.
I'm from Hertfordshire too. Staff are very polite and responds quickly
I have just emailed them today, and they responded less than 2 hours.
They checked, and my certificate hasn't arrived. They asked me to check again next week.
Some positive feedback is necessary amid many disappointing reports.

Let's all be hopeful and positive.

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:08 pm

axeman85 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm
Wahidwadid wrote:
Really thought you said you sent them email last week and they said , they don't have your certificate yet so how come they send you letter quick..
Tnx,Yes I contacted them last week and they said they haven't received my certificate, But again I contact them yesterday and they said they receive certificate, In fact quite few.Then I rang my solicitor and send the email which one i receive from council, Then solicitor cheak today's post and he found the letter, Now waiting for the HO letter to arrive and complete the journey.

blueskies89
Pakistan

Post by blueskies89 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi Wahidwadid,

Sorry for the silly question, but could you please educate me on what letter did your solicitor received and what kind of letter are you expecting from Home Office?

Many Thanks
BlueSkies 😊

qulain1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by qulain1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:05 pm

Stef03 wrote:
qulain1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
---------------------
----------------------
Good to see another constituent from Hertfordshire!
I agree that the registrar office is responsive and helpful. As per their website (https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/servic ... onies.aspx) the citizenship ceremonies were reopened on 24th of August. The above email from the council is received today so it can be concluded that it took roughly 1 month to clear a 2-month backlog (March/April). As a result, those approved in May/June are likely to receive the invitation letters by end of October.
Kindly update once you receive the invitation letter. Good luck!

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Wahidwadid wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:08 pm
axeman85 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm
Wahidwadid wrote:
Tnx,Yes I contacted them last week and they said they haven't received my certificate, But again I contact them yesterday and they said they receive certificate, In fact quite few.Then I rang my solicitor and send the email which one i receive from council, Then solicitor cheak today's post and he found the letter, Now waiting for the HO letter to arrive and complete the journey.

Thats great. Thanks for the explanation. You approval was before mine anyway so just waiting for them to send end of July certificstes/letter. Congratulations once again

saaji93
India

Post by saaji93 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi All

Does any one know email address for Newham council ?

Regards
Saaji

qulain1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by qulain1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Greatness1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm
Stef03 wrote:
qulain1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
---------------------
----------------------
They checked, and my certificate hasn't arrived. They asked me to check again next week.

Hi,
The council staff is great but I still feel that digitization of the entire process will eliminate any unnecessary delays. Could you please share your approval date?
On a slightly different note, I wrote to our local MP this week and intent to share the response once received.

Stef03
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stef03 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:48 pm

qulain1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:05 pm
Stef03 wrote:
qulain1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
---------------------
----------------------
Good to see another constituent from Hertfordshire!
I agree that the registrar office is responsive and helpful. As per their website (https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/servic ... onies.aspx) the citizenship ceremonies were reopened on 24th of August. The above email from the council is received today so it can be concluded that it took roughly 1 month to clear a 2-month backlog (March/April). As a result, those approved in May/June are likely to receive the invitation letters by end of October.
Kindly update once you receive the invitation letter. Good luck!
August 24th they reopened for the group ceremonies, however, I’ve been in contact with them since mid July and on one of my email queries, around end of July they told me that they are conducting private ceremonies on council invitation basis only in order to catch up with the backlog they had pre-lockdown and for the persons whom had the certificates posted pre-lockdown.

Stef03
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stef03 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:51 pm

qulain1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:21 pm
Greatness1 wrote:
Stef03 wrote:
qulain1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
---------------------
----------------------

Hi,
The council staff is great but I still feel that digitization of the entire process will eliminate any unnecessary delays. Could you please share your approval date?
On a slightly different note, I wrote to our local MP this week and intent to share the response once received.
I wrote to the MP as well and I had the first reply the day after informing me that he will investigate the case, however he has no authority over HO and therefore he can’t influence their decision.

Greatness1
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Greatness1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm

qulain1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:21 pm
Greatness1 wrote:
Stef03 wrote:
qulain1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
---------------------
----------------------

Hi,
@qulain1, My approval date is June 15th

vicky000
Newly Registered
China

Post by vicky000 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 pm

They gave me a slot on the phone and a few hours later sent me an confirmation email with an attachment, not sure if this is the invite letter you MEANT?
Gioldn wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 pm
vicky000 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 pm
In Wandsworth council too. Got HO approval the end of August and just had ceremony in the town hall this week. I initially sent an email according to the council website guidance but got impatient waiting around since it already took 6 months to approve my citizenship. So I called the council and chased for a slot in the ceremony and they gave me a slot on the phone which was two days away.

So if you don't want to wait around, maybe try calling them, that might speed up the process.

Thank you . Had you received the invitation letter though? I haven’t yet..

Gioldn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm
Im Wandsworth too.. approved beginning of August .. so I will have my ceremony in 2021? Please if you could post it once you receive the invitation letter...thanks
gbalague123 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Wandsworth council here
Approved in May.
No Ceremony invitation yet
I sent an email. This was their answer :

Dear xxxx,

You are not on our database at present, but you will be added to our system in due course once we receive your certificate from the Home Office.

Please note that we are currently booking ceremonies for people who received their invitation letters before lockdown, so it may be a little while before we can schedule a ceremony for you.

Please contact again us in a few weeks’ time when hopefully we will have your certificate and have cleared the backlog.

Your patience is much appreciated.

Gggg123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Gggg123 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:25 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:35 pm
Gggg123 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm
oxana777 wrote:
Gggg123 wrote:
Hello ,

Thank you
Haha yes I know. Initially I had some hope because i didnt see anyone moaning about Bristol, so I thought maybe they are good and doing virtual ones. But now im back to reality and will just patiently wait! Hopefully you will receive yours soon!
Yeah none from Bristol here ! Let's hope we will all get over this nightmare ...all the best for you , hopefully you're wait will be shorter than mine.

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:45 pm

Hi U Aziz

When did you get your approval email
Next week would be the 8th week since HO started printing the certificates I hope we get ours by first week of October
I’ll call them on 5 October now

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 pm

saaji93 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:16 pm
Hi All

Does any one know email address for Newham council ?

Regards
Saaji
Hi Saaji,
It's <<personal names deleted by moderator>>@newham.gov.uk for Newham. Hope to see you soon at the ceremony

MODERATOR NOTE: Please do not place direct email addresses of government staff on these forums unless they have expressly and explicitly given you permission to do so.

The proper way to contact the Newham Council are through the resources listed on their website.