ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NEW LAWS JULY 2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:24 pm

dimsav wrote:
Sky_High wrote:However bad news is both Tory and Lib Dam agreed to put a cap on immigration
... with no details in their agreement so far.
Question is whether this cap will affect those already present in the UK or be mostly about the newcomers?..
lets see whether the cap is on settlement / Probationary citizen ship or just at the FLR permits...

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:13 pm

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 pm

abhijack wrote:
dimsav wrote:
Sky_High wrote:However bad news is both Tory and Lib Dam agreed to put a cap on immigration
... with no details in their agreement so far.
Question is whether this cap will affect those already present in the UK or be mostly about the newcomers?..
lets see whether the cap is on settlement / Probationary citizen ship or just at the FLR permits...
I think cap should be mandatory for everyone, including British Citizens. Women shoud be given the choice of wearing a scarf instead.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 pm

"We are, I am told, weeks away from an announcement on how the cap will be implemented,..." - looks like the big news is coming...

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Would everyone need to attend a ceremoney for the cap to be implemented on them? Will it be a cap with a union jack sign on?

alifaruk
Newly Registered

Post by alifaruk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello Dimsev,

I have read your comments ,indeed very helpful in my situation as well. I am on WP completing five years Apr 07 - Mar 12, hence after July 2011 dreadful time line. I dont know whats happening if this has become the law for UKBA to go through PC way or old scheme WP holders can benefit from any loop hole or if there is any exception for us. Please let me know i still dont understand it at all. Also after PC do i still have to be with the same employer until i get PR.

Thanks,

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:50 pm

@alifaruk:
I don't have any information in addition to what has been already discussed in this thread. As per current rules, WPs seem to be affected by PC->PR scheme. PC is still meant to be a temporary leave and subject to immigration control, though you will be no longer linked to the same employer and can choose it.

However, I stress that all information about "earned citizenship" has gone from the UKBA web-site. There will be changes, and announcement is expected very soon. So, I think that we should be more patient for a while, and then discuss the matter on the basis of new facts/news available.

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am

Off Topic!

Would much appreciate if someone can help me with the TIER 1 thing... Or if you can post a link for a thread where ppl are discussing abt TIER 1 to ILR / whatever...

Just a bit abt me, I was on HSMP and got my Tier 1 early this year which is valid until 2013.

Thanks in advance for ur help!

lachicaturca
Newly Registered

Post by lachicaturca » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:37 am

Hi Everyone!
I just have read all the pages but couldnt come to a clear point, just wanted to ask again in case if there is anythng new.

I m going to marry my British Citizen boyfriend before July 2011, as far as i get I will be affected even though i marry before the new law becomes in force. I am not in the UK right now, but today i called the British embassy and asked about the new law, the lady told me the ones who would get married before 2011 july shouldnt be affected.

If yes, anyone has a clear idea about the period we would have?
2 years of settlement visa first, then citizenship on probation for another 2years and then ILR?

Taha
Newly Registered

Post by Taha » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi,

Can any one please reply with the expected changes on citizenship based on my situation as follows?

Indefinite expected (after completing 5 years on WP+Tier 1(General) : Sept 2010

Based on present rules citizenship expected : Sept 2011

My question is, do i need to follow Probationary Citizenship path i.e. in Sept 2011 apply for probationary route and if do community service then get citizenship in Sept 2012. Experts please clarify.

Cheers

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:30 am

its all wait and see at the moment - As you said based on existing rules but current coalition govt may scrap the current rules altogether and place a new tougher one...I am guessing and my crystal ball is so blurred at the moment
Taha wrote:Hi,

Can any one please reply with the expected changes on citizenship based on my situation as follows?

Indefinite expected (after completing 5 years on WP+Tier 1(General) : Sept 2010

Based on present rules citizenship expected : Sept 2011

My question is, do i need to follow Probationary Citizenship path i.e. in Sept 2011 apply for probationary route and if do community service then get citizenship in Sept 2012. Experts please clarify.

Cheers

ranz
Newly Registered

Great News

Post by ranz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:08 pm

immigration welfare guys launched the case finally.it is ever big news for wps.i hope now all the pplz will support them.to be honest they did very well.no one has time in this country.every 1 is bz in his own problems.but salman akram and anish mani make this effort for all of us.im sure they will win the case.and everybody will be enjoy the benefits.im gonna contribute to them and i beg you all pplz plz give them support if u cant pay nufin jus contibute some penut money like 50 pounds.im sure it is not big money for all of you.thx and BLESS YOU ALL.

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:21 pm

may i ask, what is this big case all about??

ranz
Newly Registered

Post by ranz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm

well i cant explain due to time shortage.this is the case for work permit holders to get the ILR after 4 years which was original promise from home office.and get citizenship b4 1 years.if you want to know deeply.you have to join them fourm.thx

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 pm

i see!! thanks!

hope they will win the case!

jamil05

Post by jamil05 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 pm

The Government has subsequently agreed the following transitional arrangements:

If a migrant has already been given indefinite leave to remain (also known as settlement) on the date when earned citizenship is introduced, they will automatically be considered to be a 'permanent resident'. They will not need to pay or apply for this to occur. They will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.

If a migrant has applied for indefinite leave to remain before the date when earned citizenship is introduced, and is subsequently granted indefinite leave to remain, they will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.

The Government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.

The introduction of earned citizenship has been postponed by six months, to give people time to adjust to the new system and to allow more applicants who are already in the United Kingdom to apply under the current rules. Earned citizenship will now be introduced in July 2011.

All applications for indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship received before earned citizenship is introduced will be dealt with under the current system.

dimsav

Structural Reform Plans

Post by dimsav » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:38 pm

The Gov't has recently announced new Structural Reform Plans to hand power to the public with every department publishing a plan that sets clear priorities and measurable milestones. As concerns Home Office SRP, the milestones are:
- A. Set an interim limit on non-European Economic Area migrants -- Jul 2010
- B. Tighter system for granting student visas in place -- Jan 2011
- C. Set a new annual limit on non-European Economic Area migrants -- Apr 2011
- D. Border Police Force in operation -- Apr 2013

I wonder why there is no single word on PC at all? (It doesn't sound good to me, meaning that they intend to continue with PC, not scrap...)

noor1034
BANNED

Re: Structural Reform Plans

Post by noor1034 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 pm

dimsav wrote:
I wonder why there is no single word on PC at all? (It doesn't sound good to me, meaning that they intend to continue with PC, not scrap...)
Agree.. There is no news for Probationary Citizenship, I am searching for weeks now. I think we can only wait and see.

Check this link: There are some comments on PC. It is about two hour video and I can not remember now where PC was discussed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/ ... 839310.stm

I am thinking, If WP JR wins, may be, like for HSMP JR, they may add transitional arrangements for Work Permit holders who entered after april 2006 and before Tier 2 announced.

shawinam

Post by shawinam » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Its starts at 1:01.22 time on the video link below regarding PC http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/ ... 839310.stm

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:32 pm

By looks of it the minister is looking into PC or implement something new

Gamini
Newly Registered

Post by Gamini » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:53 pm

This is the text of thier discussion found in parliament.uk. It seems that Damian Green is not interested in PC, by saying "Over-bureaucratic". However, we can't say definite, the new govenrment may implement anything new.

"
Q56 Alun Michael: You have already made some references to settlement. Accepting that you have not yet reached conclusions in terms of numbers, do you intend to introduce a cap on settlement? Do you intend to break the link between migration and settlement?

Damian Green: I am sorry to provide the same answer again, but the details of what we are to announce are, if you like, some way down the line. I do believe that the rise in grant of settlement and applications for settlement in the past couple of years has been eye-wateringly big. There was approximately a 58% increase in grants of settlement last year and a 24% increase in applications. If we carry on like that it will have a serious long-term effect. I do not disagree with the principle underlying the previous government’s thoughts that we need to tighten up, but I am looking very hard at the methods by which it went about it. Having been opposition spokesman on the Bill that brought that in, my thoughts are on record. Looking at what I said then, I am happy to say that I do not disagree with it now. It seems to me that things like probationary citizenship and various other things may well be an over-bureaucratic way of achieving the desirable end, so that is what we are looking at.

zeeshan2008
Newly Registered

Post by zeeshan2008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Let see what will be happend with PC.

dimsav

Earned citizenship scheme faces axe

Post by dimsav » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:43 am

Telegraph today: Earned citizenship scheme faces axe

"... The so-called "earned citizenship" scheme is now under review and could be binned altogether. Damian Green, the immigration minister, said: "We are still pondering whether that is the most effective way to do it. "Within the next few months we will have a decision as to whether that is the best way to achieve a proper commitment. It's under review." ..."

A gleam of hope. The big question is - what comes instead, and when?...

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Earned citizenship scheme faces axe

Post by MPH80 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:00 pm

dimsav wrote:Telegraph today: Earned citizenship scheme faces axe

"... The so-called "earned citizenship" scheme is now under review and could be binned altogether. Damian Green, the immigration minister, said: "We are still pondering whether that is the most effective way to do it. "Within the next few months we will have a decision as to whether that is the best way to achieve a proper commitment. It's under review." ..."

A gleam of hope. The big question is - what comes instead, and when?...
Indeed - better the devil you know sometimes ...

noor1034
BANNED

Re: Earned citizenship scheme faces axe

Post by noor1034 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I was just reading below lines in bbc website

"Ministers also intend to examine work visas as two-fifths of people in this group remained in the UK after five years."

Here is link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11191341

If a person is on skilled visa here and after 5 years he will definatley go for ILR or Probatioanry Citizenshipe (if introduced). Are they going to scrap settlements for skilled visas holders?

I hope soon situation will clear.