ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIMELINE AFTER NATURALISATION APPLICATION SUBMISSION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:15 pm

For those who need to carry out further character enquiry, I am wodering if applicant provide police certificate got from UK and/or home country when submit their naturalisation application at either NCS or by post, will it speed up the process and to avoid such delay on 'character enquiry?
Given the ease in which documents can be obtained from some jurisdictions regardless of the applicant's character then it follows such from said jurisdictions is not worth the paper its printed on (for want of a better expression). Hence this would not make any difference in these cases.
As far as I know, the police certificate is a complusory requirement for US immigrant visa application.
Character checks are a pre-requisite for permanent residence in many jurisdictions including the US, Canada, Oz, South Africa etc - to date I fail to see why the HO have not deemed such to be applicable to the UK by way of a finger printing regime (declaratory statements are IMHO not ideal due to the risk of misrepresentation).....it will be here in a few years though.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:15 am

no, they did not mention character enquiries team

i am sure it was a case team, i hope it gets processed soon, it has been over 2 months now. by the ways i am going back to the indian high commission to get my indian passport extended.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:09 am

it has been over 2 months now
Roger, I obviously sympathise with you but do appreciate that the IND website is still showing 3.99 months as the average for naturalisation applications.

I think it is the case that we may have got a bit used to the fact that some people got their "application successful" letter within a couple of weeks. But Roger I don't expect you have a problem and no doubt you will hear in less than the average of 3.99 months!
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:34 am

thanks for the assurance john

hopefully i will get the good news from the home office within 2 months. the positive thing is i wont be checking my postbox in anticipation(and being disappointed) for the next one month :)

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:49 am

Even 3.99 months is quite good considering that I know people who have been here 20+ yrs... and it took ~10 months for their naturalisation applications to get through (because of busy IND I guess). And these were straightforward cases as well!...

So unless there is an exceptional situation, you'll be OK...
rogerroger wrote:...
the positive thing is i wont be checking my postbox in anticipation(and being disappointed) for the next one month :)

K2004

Post by K2004 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Roger,

I have the same problem as you , (applied in NCS brent on 8/11/05),, i was expecting my approval before christmas, i want to go to europe and i keep on delaying my Shecnegin Visa applcation on the basis that i might get a BC approval soon, so i dont have to pay £60 visa fee and i dont have to send my passport for european visa..i have a feeling that the day i apply for visa i will get a BC approval,, so i will have to wait for my passport back in order to apply for British one.... :?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:53 pm

hey k2004, have yo contacted the ind to see what is the progress of your application. perhaps you may be luckier than me and they may say it is going to take a week more or something.

that would save you the trip to the european embassy!!

confused1

still to be allocated

Post by confused1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:29 pm

I've phone the IND today, and asked them about the progress of my application. It has been over 4 months I have submitted my application (submitted on 4 Oct).

Still the file is being allocated to a case worker... It's taking them over 4 months now just to allocate a file to the case worker and still it haven't reached the desk!

I seriously think these departments should be privatised like the DVLA. It's only then they'll feel the hears on the back when they performs poorly.

confused1

Re: still to be allocated

Post by confused1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:31 pm

confused1 wrote:I've phone the IND today, and asked them about the progress of my application. It has been over 4 months I have submitted my application (submitted on 4 Oct).

Still the file is being allocated to a case worker... It's taking them over 4 months now just to allocate a file to the case worker and still it haven't reached the desk!

I seriously think these departments should be privatised like the DVLA. It's only then they'll feel the hears on the back when they performs poorly.
Opss sorry guys.. there's an typing error. It should be "heats" instead of "hears". Cheers.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 pm

so your case has been allocated to a case worker or it is still in the process of being allocated?

confused1

Post by confused1 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:47 am

rogerroger wrote:so your case has been allocated to a case worker or it is still in the process of being allocated?
It's still in the process of being allocated.

enpv

Post by enpv » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi Confused,

We have a similar situation with my daughter's application. She sent it on the 3rd of October by special delivery post and her cheque was cleared on the 31st of October but we have not heard anything from HO since, no acknowledgement letter nothing. Sent them an e-mail before Christmas but again no answer. I believe her application is a straightforward one based on 4 years as a dependant plus 1yr on ILR.
Myself and my wife applied one week later but via NCS at Brent and received the approval in early December, so our ceremony scheduled for next Monday.

all the best and wish you to get your approval soon.

enpv

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:31 pm

confused1 wrote:It has been over 4 months I have submitted my application (submitted on 4 Oct).
I am not defending IND's performance here but 4th October is not over 4 months ago. Indeed it is less than 3.5 months ago. So still less than the average of 3.99 months for naturalisation applications indicated on the IND website.

Enpv, if your daughter has still not heard anything, not even an acknowledgement, then she is fully justified getting on the phone to them to ask what is going on.
John

enpv

Post by enpv » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:40 pm

John,

Thanks for your reply. The situation is that it is me who is worried but she is very relaxed about this and I feel awkward to phone HO on her behalf. As you can imagine the 19 year old is living her student life to the full and not bothered to try to contact the HO.

All the best,
enpv

confused1

Post by confused1 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:55 pm

John wrote:
confused1 wrote:It has been over 4 months I have submitted my application (submitted on 4 Oct).
I am not defending IND's performance here but 4th October is not over 4 months ago. Indeed it is less than 3.5 months ago. So still less than the average of 3.99 months for naturalisation applications indicated on the IND website.

Enpv, if your daughter has still not heard anything, not even an acknowledgement, then she is fully justified getting on the phone to them to ask what is going on.
I haven't received acknowledgement letter either! I phoned them, emailed them, al lthey says is, they've sent a message to the part of the department who issues acknowledgement letter but, they're tied up with over loaded applications at the moment.

I wonder, since we are paying £200 application fee and if there are so many applications being received by the IND then why don't they just employ few more staffs?

enpv

Post by enpv » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:53 pm

Finally today we received an acknowledgement letter and all docs my daughter supplied with her application. The letter is a standard one saying they do not need to see any docs and that they are still dealing with the application and will be doing character checks.
Also went with my wife to a citizenship ceremony today and it was very well organised, so we were very pleased. There was a welcome from the chairman of the county concil and HM Lord Lt for Cheshire.

Best regards and a big thank you to this forum for all advice and help I received along the way,

enpv

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:39 pm

enpv, congratulations to you and your wife ... new British Citizens! If you are not already on the electoral roll then don't forget to sign up now.

And great your daughter has at last heard back from IND about her application. Hopefully she will not need to wait much longer to follow your footsteps to a Citizenship Ceremony.
John

confused1

Post by confused1 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:32 pm

Congratulations enpv. Finally it’s done! Now you and your wife can get your British passport even within two weeks (if you use check and send service). It’s wise to apply early as they’re introducing new regulations such as face to face interview of the new applicant. Good luck. :)

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 pm

congratulations enpv
face to face interview of the new applicant
what is that? have we not been grilled enough with the character check?

kp1

Post by kp1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 am

congratulations enpv, cant wait for my ceremony next weeek.

enpv

Post by enpv » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:24 am

Guys,

Many thanks for your congratulations. This forum is great and has been a real help to many of us, so thank you all again for your support and advice.
Wish you all the best,

enpv

confused1

Post by confused1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 am

rogerroger wrote:congratulations enpv
Despite having gone through the character check and other things, when you apply for a new uk passport they'll randomly select applicants to have a face to face interview to prevent fraud!! But soon they’ll make it compulsory to have face to face interview before you receive your passport.

so it's wise to apply quickly before they puts these procedures in place. :wink:

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:56 pm

confused1 wrote:
rogerroger wrote:congratulations enpv
Despite having gone through the character check and other things, when you apply for a new uk passport they'll randomly select applicants to have a face to face interview to prevent fraud!! But soon they’ll make it compulsory to have face to face interview before you receive your passport.

so it's wise to apply quickly before they puts these procedures in place. :wink:
Shouldn't make a difference if nothing to hide! Probably add a few days onto the process, unless you're in an absolute hurry for your passport, shouldnt be a problem! But then again if you are in an absolute hurry, you have to go in person to a passport office to apply (if I'm not mistaken) I'm sure they would do the 'interview' then!

TintinHerge

Post by TintinHerge » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:02 pm

This is my first post here and Let me first congratulate John and everyone else whos giving their time and effort to help others - Its quite commendable.

My Question is this:
I am an Indian citizen and am eligible for applying for BC(4+1) but want to know first how much time does it currently and realistically take for the whole process? I have couple of International trips planned in the next few months and so want to time it well. Also , if it does take upto 4 months, can I get my Indian passport back once they have seen and partly processed my application - If so, after how many weeks can I ask for my passport back ?

Thanks in Advance
Tintin

confused1

TintinHerge

Post by confused1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:28 pm

Currently it’ll take approximately 6 months to process your application. However, it might take less if you apply through Nationality Check and Send service (NCS). They will check your documents and send them to the Home Office but it’ll cost you around £35 for this service.

You can keep your passport with you if you apply through NCS. To find your nearest NCS offices follow this link:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... cking.html

Remember now you also need to pass that dull Life in the UK test, for more info check out www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk

For any other enquiry follow this link http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... ality.html

OR post your question here.

Good luck.