ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Absences - UKBA clarification about conflict

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nyashasam
Newly Registered

Continuos Residence exceeding 180 days

Post by nyashasam » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:10 am

Hello all

I am new to the forum, and I would really appreciate any help with regard to my situation, which seems quite unique to most of the cases I have read up on.

I am due to apply for my ILR in July 2014, but I have already exceeded the 180 day period for continuos residence. I have been out of the UK mainly for the purposes of leisure (I have been dating my fiancé long distance for the past three years and I mainly left the country to spend time with him for 2-3 weeks at a time about 3 times per year).

I activated my Tier 1 General permit on 13 June 2009 when I entered the UK for 8 days, however, I still had to finish serving my notice in my previous job in my country of residence at the time, South Africa and I eventually moved to the UK on 26 September 2009 to live. I was therefore out of the country for a period of 95 days during that period.

Once I moved here, I worked periodically between that time up until September 2010 where I did a full time Masters at University College London. I travelled with my fiancé for 75 days between 2009-2010 (the longest period was for 41 days where we went to the world cup in south africa and stayed for 6 weeks. I also went to our home country to meet his family. The rest of the times consisted of 3 holidays lasting between 9 days to 14 days).

In June 2011 I took up full time employment as a contractor registered with an agency. I work as a paralegal on a contract by contract basis, so I get paid a rate per hour and if I take holiday, I am not paid. I am registered under an umbrella company for tax purposes, but am still under PAYE. I am currently living with my parents as I am saving money for a deposit to buy my first property, so I do not pay rent or any council tax. In 2011 I travelled to Ethiopia for 14 days for my Masters degree (this travel was mandatory for the program) the rest of the time constituted 6 holidays lasting between 6 - 15 days at a time to visit my fiancé. One holiday was a surprise unplanned trip where my fiancé proposed to me, and the other trip was for my traditional marriage ceremony in my home country lasting 15 days.

My fiancé and I are getting married in 5 weeks, and I will be travelling to my home country for the wedding. We would like to live in the UK in order that I can work towards obtaining ILR in 2014, but we don't want to waste the time if it is not likely that I will get the ILR due to being outside of the country for more that the 180 days. What would be the likely outcome of my application, based on the rules today assuming that I take a total of about 300 days out of the country over the 5 years between 2009 and 2014 based on my reasons for travel and my situation? Would you recommend that we pursue the ILR in the UK?

Thanks for your help and I appreciate your time to respond to me.

:D :D :D :D

atul_verma
Newly Registered

Post by atul_verma » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi,
Could you please help me to calculate my absences for ILR application.

I am holding tier 1 visa, which is due to expire on April 2013 and I'll ofcourse apply for extention which will be for next 2 year but my ILR settlement is due on October 2013 (October 2008 to October 2013). And as per continuity calculation my total aggregated spent days away from UK till October 2013 are 173 which includes a long single stretch of 134 days away when i was on secondment in NZ from my company based in India and i was not getting any salary in UK . Not sure whether I'll be granted ILR settlement ? will that be considered as continuity broken or not ? as i am still not crossing the limit of 180 days in 5 years.

To make it more clear -

28 Nov 2009 - 8th Dec 2009 = 11 days (paid holidays with employment in UK)
2 oct 2010 - 13th Feb 2011 = 134 days (transfer/secondment in NZ)
14 Dec 2011 - 10th Jan 2012 = 28 days (paid holidays with employment in UK)
-------------------------------------
Total = 173 Days
--------------------------------------
Not sure whether i calculated the absence days above correctly or not.

Also, i have to go India 25th Dec 2012 - 13 Jan 2013 (19 days) due to some unavoidable circumstances but this will be again paid holidays with employment in UK.

Is there any chance that ILR will be granted if i'll apply in october 2013.

Any suggestion and help is much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
At