ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refusals for EEA family permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Sounds perfect!

I would also separately email the European Operational Policy Team to ask them to contact these people.

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 am

Response from the visa section Mumbai
Many thanks for your email of 18 December 2012 the contents of which have been noted. I draw your particular attention to the relevant sections of the advise provided to you by the UKBA’s European Operational Policy Unit:

The non-EEA national family member of an EEA national is not required to submit evidence that their EEA national family member is exercising free movement rights (i.e. is a ‘qualified person’) where;

(1) The EEA national will be accompanying the non-EEA national family member to the UK, or

(2) The EEA national is in the UK but has resided there for a period of less than three months (this is because EEA nationals are not obliged to exercise free movement rights within the first three months after entering the UK)

The above paragraphs do not apply to you as at the material time your sponsor was based in the UK and therefore your application needs to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of regulation 12 of the EEA regulations.

The Entry Clearance Officer has refused your application because your sponsor has not demonstrated she is a qualifying person under regulation 12 which relates to individuals not currently present in the United Kingdom and exercising their treaty rights. The response you have received from the Operational Policy Unit therefore does not contradict our position or the contents of our previous comprehensive responses to you. As such I am satisfied that the decision to refuse you entry clearance was correct. As such I consider the matter now closed.

It is open to you to submit a fresh application and demonstrate that you meet the requirements of admission to the United Kingdom by virtue of European Community Law as the family member of a European Economic Area national who is exercising, or wishes to exercise, rights of free movement under the Treaty of Rome in the United Kingdom.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am

It seems that now they are using the (unnecessary) extra evidence you provided in the first application (accommodation, job seeking evidence) to claim your wife has been in the UK. Could it be that they have been given this impression? Maybe something the solicitor wrote?

In any case, this should not have been the reason for refusal for the third application as you clearly explained the situation there.

If I read correctly between the lines, they are not willing to admit a mistake was made but will probably do the right thing next time.

You can either respond to their reply or submit a new application. I would fight back but this is your decision to make.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:24 am

donald_f wrote:Response from the visa section Mumbai
Many thanks for your email of 18 December 2012 the contents of which have been noted. I draw your particular attention to the relevant sections of the advise provided to you by the UKBA’s European Operational Policy Unit:

The non-EEA national family member of an EEA national is not required to submit evidence that their EEA national family member is exercising free movement rights (i.e. is a ‘qualified person’) where;

(1) The EEA national will be accompanying the non-EEA national family member to the UK, or

(2) The EEA national is in the UK but has resided there for a period of less than three months (this is because EEA nationals are not obliged to exercise free movement rights within the first three months after entering the UK)

The above paragraphs do not apply to you as at the material time your sponsor was based in the UK and therefore your application needs to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of regulation 12 of the EEA regulations.

The Entry Clearance Officer has refused your application because your sponsor has not demonstrated she is a qualifying person under regulation 12 which relates to individuals not currently present in the United Kingdom and exercising their treaty rights. The response you have received from the Operational Policy Unit therefore does not contradict our position or the contents of our previous comprehensive responses to you. As such I am satisfied that the decision to refuse you entry clearance was correct. As such I consider the matter now closed.

It is open to you to submit a fresh application and demonstrate that you meet the requirements of admission to the United Kingdom by virtue of European Community Law as the family member of a European Economic Area national who is exercising, or wishes to exercise, rights of free movement under the Treaty of Rome in the United Kingdom.
Appeal .

This is just a waste of time.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

donald_f wrote:
Jambo wrote:Just to clarify - Was your wife living in India during all the previous applications? Did she at any point move to the UK alone?
Till date she has not been outside of India. She was born and is still living in India with us. Her Portuguese nationality papers were also processed at the Portuguese consulate (Goa) and some in Lisbon.
Is it still the case that your wife has never been outside India? If so, I would be inclined to write straight back to the writer and point this out.

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:20 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
donald_f wrote:
Jambo wrote:Just to clarify - Was your wife living in India during all the previous applications? Did she at any point move to the UK alone?
Till date she has not been outside of India. She was born and is still living in India with us. Her Portuguese nationality papers were also processed at the Portuguese consulate (Goa) and some in Lisbon.
Is it still the case that your wife has never been outside India? If so, I would be inclined to write straight back to the writer and point this out.
Till date my wife has not traveled outside of India. The only thing that has changed is now my son is also an EU national, because of UKBA mishandling of our applications.

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:46 am

I have now replied back to the ECM's email with text below and marking a copy to the policy unit.
I am pleased to read that you agree that where an EEA national is not based (or has not been based longer than three months) in the UK, he or she does not need to demonstrate that he or she is a qualified person. You will have noted from my file that my wife (the EEA national) was not (not) based in the UK at the time. In fact, she has never been to the UK. She does not (not) therefore need to demonstrate that she is a qualified person. Here, unfortunately, the ECO erred. Given that you upheld the decision on review, I kindly request you to point out to me which part of my application led the ECO and yourself to believe that my wife was based in the UK, because she was not and there was also nothing in my application to suggest that she was. In fact, in the Refusal Notice, the ECO mentions that "There is no evidence to show that your sponsor is in the UK and/or is genuinely actively seeking employment." Here, the ECO is correct. I did not submit evidence to show that my wife was in the UK because, as outlined above, she has never been to the UK. The ECO further writes "As you are unable to demonstrate that your sponsor is a qualified person I am not satisfied that you are able to demonstrate that, as per the requirements of Regulation 12, your sponsor will be an EEA national residing in the United Kingdom in accordance with the EEA Regulations". Will being the operative word here; she was in India, and has never been to the UK. I also note that the ECO writes that I "failed to submit a copy of my wife's sponsor's Home Office registration. This is a requirement under EEA regulations...". There is no such requirement in the Regulations, and frankly, this leads me to believe that, unfortunately, the ECO has misinterpreted the Regulations.

I fully appreciate the fact that you write that you consider the matter closed. I too would like to close my case as soon as possible. In view of these discrepancies and errors, I kindly request you to review my case once more.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 am

I expect that your wife will have an unmarked passport given that she has not traveled out of India (they will stamp entry and exit).

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:I expect that your wife will have an unmarked passport given that she has not traveled out of India (they will stamp entry and exit).
Yes. The only page that has a stamp is the Indian visa on it. A complete copy of the passport was included with the application.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 pm

You might want to email them a photo of her outside the HC holding today's newspaper and the ID page of her passport.

Also mention that they can easily check their systems and see that she has never entered the UK.

Inform that at each opportunity that they are continuing to hinder her right of free movement within the EU.

If I am not mistaken I think you explicitly said in some of your communications with them that you were all living in India. Also in one of their refusals they (wonderfully!) claimed that refusing the EEA FP would not interfere with your family life, so it was clear to the ECO that you were in India:
I have also taken account of article 8 of the Human Rights Act. I consider that refusing this
application is justified and proportionate in the exercise of the immigration control. I do not
believe that refusing this application will interfere with famity life, for the purposes of article 8 (1),
as you can continue to enjoy that in India.

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am

Response from the visa section Mumbai
Many thanks for your email of 29 December 2012 the contents of which have been noted. The decision to refuse you entry clearance has been reviewed by and Entry Clearance Manager. The decision to refuse you entry clearance has been maintained for the following reasons:

As your sponsor is not, and never has been resident in the United Kingdom you are required to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of regulation 12. The 3 month period upon which you rely relates to those individuals whose sponsor is present in the United Kingdom. As your sponsor is not, and never has been, in the United Kingdom you are therefore required to demonstrate that your sponsor is a qualified person on arrival.

Given the above and the previous comprehensive replies previously given to you, which set out our position in detail, this office will no longer engage in any further communication with you on this matter. It remains open to you to submit a further application, free of charge. I suggest that you submit the necessary evidence to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of admission to the United Kingdom by virtue of European Community Law.

Yours sincerely
Entry Clearance Manager
Casework Team

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 am

Is this for real? What a waste of time.

When is the appeal hearing scheduled?

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am

I just feel lost in this mess that has been created.

I will get to know after the 24th of Jan 2013.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 am

Many thanks for your email of 29 December 2012 the contents of which have been noted. The decision to refuse you entry clearance has been reviewed by and Entry Clearance Manager. The decision to refuse you entry clearance has been maintained for the following reasons:

As your sponsor is not, and never has been resident in the United Kingdom you are required to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of regulation 12. The 3 month period upon which you rely relates to those individuals whose sponsor is present in the United Kingdom. As your sponsor is not, and never has been, in the United Kingdom you are therefore required to demonstrate that your sponsor is a qualified person on arrival.

Given the above and the previous comprehensive replies previously given to you, which set out our position in detail, this office will no longer engage in any further communication with you on this matter. It remains open to you to submit a further application, free of charge. I suggest that you submit the necessary evidence to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of admission to the United Kingdom by virtue of European Community Law.

Yours sincerely
Entry Clearance Manager
Casework Team
Well i kind of blame you now for your predicament. It was obvious from their reply on the 18-12 that they had no intention of reviewing their decision, you carried on writing to them. The option was for you to appeal. It is up to you to proceed with the appeal process and prevent further time waste

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:32 am

So the shortest way would be to ask my wife to leave for the UK and then I apply for the Entry clearance within 3 months. Is this what the ECM's means.

I have been given till 24th of Jan to submit any new evidence. Does anyone know usually how much more time it would take for the decision date and for it to arrive at the post.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 am

Regulation (12)(1)(a) (i) or (ii) is alternative, as the word or is used as opposed to and . Therefore the ECM is obviously wrong. Either he cannot read or his action is deliberate.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

donald_f wrote:So the shortest way would be to ask my wife to leave for the UK and then I apply for the Entry clearance within 3 months. Is this what the ECM's means.
The shortest way is to wait for the appeal. No idea how long you need to wait.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Obie wrote:Well i kind of blame you now for your predicament. It was obvious from their reply on the 18-12 that they had no intention of reviewing their decision, you carried on writing to them. The option was for you to appeal. It is up to you to proceed with the appeal process and prevent further time waste
Huh? You blame him for trying more with the local visa office, in addition to having already appealed? Better to just appeal and wait for 6 months?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm

I think somehow people have not taken their creative pills today.

Keep doing what you have been doing. Keep in touch with the visa office by all means. You have NOTHING TO LOOSE. And do more as well!

You need to:
(1) Appeal. DONE
(2) Keep putting pressure on the local visa office. IN PROCESS
(3) Keep in touch with the European and Nationality Office in Liverpool IN PROCESS
(4) Formally complain within UKBA. NOT DONE
(5) Consider a JR in the UK NOT DONE
(6) Consider getting a visa to Germany, and then going by train to the UK with your wife. NOT DONE
Last edited by Directive/2004/38/EC on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I had thought OP had not appealed, and was rather seeking ECO reconsideration.

It is obvious from there replies, that they are either not ready to be corrected or deliberately refusing the OP. In those circumstances it seems futile to continue writing to them to reconsider. I would not hold an issue if anyone taking a contrary view.

I do retract part of my post, for thinking that OP had not filed an appeal.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Yours sincerely
Entry Clearance Manager
Casework Team
I hope you are keeping copies of all your correspondence with them (no doubt you are). This story is pretty incredible. You provide them with evidence of their own policy; the say it doesn't count because your wife had been to the UK. You point this out and they ignore their policy.

Naturally, continue with your appeal, but also persist in complaining.

To whom exactly have you complained?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

donald_f wrote:
To, EuropeanOperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
I am writing to seek your advice and guidance in applying for an EEA Family Permit.

My spouse an EEA national has never been to the UK before, I am a non-EEA national and we intend to travel together to UK within 6 months.

To obtain a EEA family permit does my spouse need to demonstrate that he or she is a “Qualified Person” under regulation 12 for the purposes of non-EEA family members applying for EEA Family Permits from overseas, if the EEA National has never resided in the UK but resides with her non-EEA family members outside the UK.
Thank you for your email dated 16th December 2012 in which you have requested advice on applying for an EEA family permit.

I can confirm that a non-EEA national family member of an EEA national is not required to submit evidence that their EEA national family member is exercising free movement rights (i.e. is a ‘qualified person’) where;

Where the EEA national has resided in the UK beyond their initial 3 month right of residence, the non-EEA national family member who is applying for an EEA family permit must in these circumstances submit evidence that the EEA national is a qualified person.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Yours sincerely,

European Operational Policy Team
UK Border Agency
Re-reading this, there appears to be a slight flaw in the guidance; I have underlined it above. The guidance could be clearer and include those who intent to travel together to the UK.

This does not mean of course that the EEA family permit should not be issued - of course it should be.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:11 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
donald_f wrote:
To, EuropeanOperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
I am writing to seek your advice and guidance in applying for an EEA Family Permit.

My spouse an EEA national has never been to the UK before, I am a non-EEA national and we intend to travel together to UK within 6 months.

To obtain a EEA family permit does my spouse need to demonstrate that he or she is a “Qualified Person” under regulation 12 for the purposes of non-EEA family members applying for EEA Family Permits from overseas, if the EEA National has never resided in the UK but resides with her non-EEA family members outside the UK.
Thank you for your email dated 16th December 2012 in which you have requested advice on applying for an EEA family permit.

I can confirm that a non-EEA national family member of an EEA national is not required to submit evidence that their EEA national family member is exercising free movement rights (i.e. is a ‘qualified person’) where;

Where the EEA national has resided in the UK beyond their initial 3 month right of residence, the non-EEA national family member who is applying for an EEA family permit must in these circumstances submit evidence that the EEA national is a qualified person.

Yours sincerely,

UK Border Agency
Re-reading this, there appears to be a slight flaw in the guidance; I have underlined it above. The guidance could be clearer and include those who intent to travel together to the UK.

This does not mean of course that the EEA family permit should not be issued - of course it should be.
The guidance is subtle but fine. In this particular case both the applicant and the EU citizen are outside of the UK and bolded (1) applies.

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 am

Emailed
To 'EuropeanOperational
CC 'Mumbai.VisaEnquiries'; 'airecentre.org'

I am writing to seek further advice and guidance in applying for an EEA Family Permit.

Request you to please clarify on the below paragraph if it applies to my case, where the sponsor(EEA national) and the spouse(non-EEA national) has never been to the United Kingdom, Also further clarify if the 3 months right of residence applies my case.

"As your sponsor is not, and never has been resident in the United Kingdom you are required to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of regulation 12. The 3 month period upon which you rely relates to those individuals whose sponsor is present in the United Kingdom. As your sponsor is not, and never has been, in the United Kingdom you are therefore required to demonstrate that your sponsor is
a qualified person on arrival."
Can you also please explicitly confirm the below statement if it applies to my case.
"A person(EEA national) that has never been to the United Kingdom does not (not) need to demonstrate that he or she is a qualified person on arrival."

Also confirm if there is a requirement to submit the Home Office registration certificate under the EEA Regulations.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Thank you for email regarding your application for an EEA family permit.

I can confirm that a family member of an EEA national who is seeking to accompany the EEA national to the UK (where that EEA national is not already in the UK, or is in the UK but has been in the UK for a period of less than 3 months), they are not required to demonstrate that the EEA national is a qualified person when making an application for an EEA family permit.

An EEA national who is not in, and has never been to, the UK cannot be a qualified person. This is because in order for an EEA national to be a qualified person in the UK under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (as amended), they must be exercising free movement rights in the UK as a worker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person or student. Clearly, it is not possible for a person who is not present in the UK to do this.

I can confirm that persons applying for an EEA family permit as the family member of an EEA national are not required to submit their EEA family member's registration certificate with their application. Where the applicant is applying for an EEA family permit because they will be joining their EEA national family member in the UK and the EEA national has been in the UK for longer than 3 months, the applicant would need to provide evidence that the applicant is a 'qualified person' (that is, that they are exercising free movement rights as set out in the paragraph above). A registration certificate would not be acceptable as evidence of this, because a registration certificate only confirms that the EEA national had a right of residence at the time of application. Therefore, in these circumstances it would be necessary for the applicant to submit recent evidence of the exercise of free movement rights, for example payslips for workers, business accounts and HMRC documents for self-employed persons, etc.

I will highlight your concerns to the department responsible for training and guidance for entry clearance officers.

Yours sincerely,

UK Border Agency

donald_f
India

Post by donald_f » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:31 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:

Yours sincerely
Entry Clearance Manager
Casework Team
I hope you are keeping copies of all your correspondence with them (no doubt you are). This story is pretty incredible. You provide them with evidence of their own policy; the say it doesn't count because your wife had been to the UK. You point this out and they ignore their policy.

Naturally, continue with your appeal, but also persist in complaining.

To whom exactly have you complained?
I have all copies of my correspondence with them.
My correspondence till now has been with the Mumbai post and the Policy team.
I am now planning to email Thomas Greig, Regional Director- South Asia, U.K. Border Agency