ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

louise2
Newly Registered

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by louise2 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:23 pm

BCarter wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any news good or bad ?

Also does anyone know who the last member of this forum to receive their RC was? Would be interesting to see how long theirs took
Hi BCarter, still waiting, and been reading the posts here, i hope to have good news soon, week thursday my 6 months is up, so goodness knows when i will get my RN back.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:32 pm

louise2 wrote:

Also does anyone know who the last member of this forum to receive their RC was? Would be interesting to see how long theirs took
Hi BCarter, still waiting, and been reading the posts here, i hope to have good news soon, week thursday my 6 months is up, so goodness knows when i will get my RN back.
I am wishing you good things, I suspect a few people are watching your situation with baited breath - I know I am! Please let us know the minute you hear anything. How are you coping with everything at the moment?

p.s anyone else feel free to chime in about how their application is going/has went

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:39 pm

BCarter wrote:
louise2 wrote:

I am wishing you good things, I suspect a few people are watching your situation with baited breath - I know I am! Please let us know the minute you hear anything. How are you coping with everything at the moment?
I promise the very day i hear anything i will post here. With regards to how im coping, i really dont know, when you been waiting this long you kind of feel numb to it really i suppose, i wont believe i got my RN back until i can see the form stamped, if that makes sense. ? My mum invited us to hers for xmas i find myself saying, i dont know if my husband will be here then. Then you remind yourself to stay positive, easier said than done. :)

How are you holding up?

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi BCarter, still waiting, and been reading the posts here, i hope to have good news soon, week thursday my 6 months is up, so goodness knows when i will get my RN back.[/quote]

[/quote]

I promise the very day i hear anything i will post here. With regards to how im coping, i really dont know, when you been waiting this long you kind of feel numb to it really i suppose, i wont believe i got my RN back until i can see the form stamped, if that makes sense. ? My mum invited us to hers for xmas i find myself saying, i dont know if my husband will be here then. Then you remind yourself to stay positive, easier said than done. :)

How are you holding up?[/quote]

Thank you! I know exactly how you feel and that makes total sense

I was numb to this for the last 4 months, now I am feeling rather concerned, I know they cannot easily deny this but I just get creeping thoughts of them returning it with some daft reason then expecting me to restart the entire thing. Exactly! I get asked many times when my wife will be here and I when I explain this whole nonsense the person whom asks the question is shocked that people like us have to jump through so many hoops.

My wife is being strong about everything which is reassuring.

It's the uncertainty of it all which is the irritating part!

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:55 pm

BCarter wrote:Hi BCarter, still waiting, and been reading the posts here, i hope to have good news soon, week thursday my 6 months is up, so goodness knows when i will get my RN back.
[/quote]

How are you holding up?[/quote]

Thank you! I know exactly how you feel and that makes total sense

I was numb to this for the last 4 months, now I am feeling rather concerned, I know they cannot easily deny this but I just get creeping thoughts of them returning it with some daft reason then expecting me to restart the entire thing. Exactly! I get asked many times when my wife will be here and I when I explain this whole nonsense the person whom asks the question is shocked that people like us have to jump through so many hoops.

My wife is being strong about everything which is reassuring.

It's the uncertainty of it all which is the irritating part![/quote]

I so understand i really do, i also have been thinking that they will find anything to return this, i have even sent in extra documents everything i have, they have my Irish and british passports (original) they have my Irish grandmother's birth certificate, her marriage cert, my dad's birth cert, my mother and father's marriage cert, then my birth certificate, plus my own marriage certificate all original documents i have given them , so they cannot ask for more... but if they want they will find a reason i daresay, as i pointed out to the homeoffice, my Irish passport is proof of my citizenship.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 pm

None from my end, then again, I'm not expecting anything when Louise is still waiting and it's close on 6 months. I think the real fear for us all now is will they even return them in 6 months? It's all looking very uncertain, which is why I'm looking at alternatives.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:39 pm

BCarter wrote:
louise2 wrote:

p.s anyone else feel free to chime in about how their application is going/has went

Hi, We are still waiting as well! No news, no contact etc etc. December will be our "6 months" so will see what happens then!

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi, We are still waiting as well! No news, no contact etc etc. December will be our "6 months" so will see what happens then![/quote]

Hi lissa6, I'm still also waiting everyone. my 6 months is fast approaching , 5 days time to be exact it is upon us im counting down, i was reading the other day where this other person who was emailing the home office (they had pasted it online) got the response off " we will review your application once the 6 months of consideration has passed. To me that seems that they wont process anything until 6 months? all rather strange, and i daresay will become apparent over the next few days in my case.

On a cheery note , happy halloween.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:38 pm

louise2 wrote: Hi lissa6, I'm still also waiting everyone. my 6 months is fast approaching , 5 days time to be exact it is upon us im counting down, i was reading the other day where this other person who was emailing the home office (they had pasted it online) got the response off " we will review your application once the 6 months of consideration has passed. To me that seems that they wont process anything until 6 months? all rather strange, and i daresay will become apparent over the next few days in my case.

Hi Louise,

Thanks for the update! I was thinking about you last week and how you were getting on so thanks for letting us know. RN application: I'm sure everyone has guessed by now, that there seems to be a new policy in place [since the tories were re-elected] to see out the maximum time frame for renunciation; probably, because they're aware of why people are renouncing as well as an overall policy of making immigration [when there is no money involved anyway] much tougher.

I could be wrong, but my guess is this has something to do with new policies to be introduced in the future. Even if the UK stays in the EU, I believe they're pushing for more autonomy/control in regards to immigration and freedom of movement to the UK. However, this is all guesswork on my part and I hope I'm wrong. Good luck Louise! We're all hoping you get your RN application this week; at least, they'll have to respond to you after the 6 months are up.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:45 pm

White Emerald wrote:
louise2 wrote: Hi lissa6, I'm still also waiting everyone. my 6 months is fast approaching , 5 days time to be exact it is upon us im counting down, i was reading the other day where this other person who was emailing the home office (they had pasted it online) got the response off " we will review your application once the 6 months of consideration has passed. To me that seems that they wont process anything until 6 months? all rather strange, and i daresay will become apparent over the next few days in my case.

Hi Louise,

Thanks for the update! I was thinking about you last week and how you were getting on so thanks for letting us know. RN application: I'm sure everyone has guessed by now, that there seems to be a new policy in place [since the tories were re-elected] to see out the maximum time frame for renunciation; probably, because they're aware of why people are renouncing as well as an overall policy of making immigration [when there is no money involved anyway] much tougher.

I could be wrong, but my guess is this has something to do with new policies to be introduced in the future. Even if the UK stays in the EU, I believe they're pushing for more autonomy/control in regards to immigration and freedom of movement to the UK. However, this is all guesswork on my part and I hope I'm wrong. Good luck Louise! We're all hoping you get your RN application this week; at least, they'll have to respond to you after the 6 months are up.
Oh wow Louise2, well at least that is some form of correspondance/news... So now we kind of know what to expect!
Unfortunately they wouldn't have this problem or have to struggle with immigration if they didn't make it so difficult for a British person to bring their family into the UK. But like you said White Emerald, they have probably realised what people are doing and this is why they are pushing.

And here I was hoping for a cold white Christmas! Instead sitting in 38 degree heat. :( hehe

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Lissa6 wrote: Oh wow Louise2, well at least that is some form of correspondance/news... So now we kind of know what to expect!
Unfortunately they wouldn't have this problem or have to struggle with immigration if they didn't make it so difficult for a British person to bring their family into the UK. But like you said White Emerald, they have probably realised what people are doing and this is why they are pushing.

And here I was hoping for a cold white Christmas! Instead sitting in 38 degree heat. :( hehe
I could be wrong Lissa, in fact, I'd love to be wrong; however, there just seems to be to many variables for this to be a coincidence. :(

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:48 am

Still waiting all, i did decide to call them today after all what's 2 days right? and the guy i spoke too said he would ask his manager for someone to chase up my application and the manager agreed and i was told someone would call me within 5 days. I hope to know the status of my application very soon. Keep you posted :|

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Well they rang me and told me that my application is still in progress , when i said but don't you process the applications as per your 6 month standard, they replied, it is not guaranteed, when i asked how much longer am i looking at, she couldnt tell me , she simply said the applications are done in date order so anyone in front of me will be done first. That was it, no information. i got off phone, quite annoyed, im no further forward knowing anything. I called back the helpline number and spoke to this nice young lady, i explained everything, i asked is there a back log , she confirmed there was, but couldnt say how much or how long. I asked if there was anywhere else i could obtain information from regarding my application she said well i could write in and complain and gave me a address for liverpool or email them , but she also said the person who called me would have been from further nationalities team as case workers dealing with our applications never speak to anyone on phone. Is it worth me emailing them ? i dont think so, how much longer, 2 days or 2 months? or worse still 3m. 6m....

I feel totally numb and rather peeved.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm

I understand everyone's angst, two months left for me and now that I understand there is a backlog I doubt it will be two months..

Also I am in the interesting position where I opted to show my preferred name on my passport, as you may know the Irish passport gives you an option where you can show your preferred name, I have always been called by my middle name and use it in work and study, so it was natural for me to place it is my first name (I applied for this passport years ago when in uni). This is a relatively common occurrence over here.. Thankfully the passport also displays my full birth certificate name above the picture page. So I'm hoping that will cover me, if not I intend to call the Irish government and get a letter to explain that I am a citizen.

I called the Home office and explain this to them and I was informed that I should write a letter further detailing on the situation, so I did this to cover myself. I am just hoping that some person does not give me difficulties, if they do I will be ready with the letter and I can easily apply for another passport with the express service if needed..

Ironically after all this I am soon to be in a new job wherein I earn more than enough money to meet the criteria, but I am at the point of no return now.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:08 pm

louise2 wrote:Well they rang me and told me that my application is still in progress , when i said but don't you process the applications as per your 6 month standard, they replied, it is not guaranteed, when i asked how much longer am i looking at, she couldnt tell me , she simply said the applications are done in date order so anyone in front of me will be done first. That was it, no information. i got off phone, quite annoyed, im no further forward knowing anything. I called back the helpline number and spoke to this nice young lady, i explained everything, i asked is there a back log , she confirmed there was, but couldnt say how much or how long. I asked if there was anywhere else i could obtain information from regarding my application she said well i could write in and complain and gave me a address for liverpool or email them , but she also said the person who called me would have been from further nationalities team as case workers dealing with our applications never speak to anyone on phone. Is it worth me emailing them ? i dont think so, how much longer, 2 days or 2 months? or worse still 3m. 6m....

I feel totally numb and rather peeved.
Hi Louise,

I'm so sorry to hear this, really, it's absolutely despicable that they're making you wait this this long. Also, I've just re-read their letter and they promise to: " decide your letter within 6 months from the date you submitted it, unless prevented from doing so". They then list the possible reasons, none of which says being busy. I still believe this is all intentional. There's is no way they have suddenly in the last 10 months become so back-logged with RN applications that the processing time has gone from 2-2.5 months to over 6 months; I just don't believe that.

As I suspected, the 6 months has now become a meaningless time frame. My hope is that, you get your RN apllication sooner rather than later and that these negative feelings I have about what they're up to are wrong. By the way, which numbers have you been using to call them?

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:53 pm

I feel at this point it's best not to speculate because all it will do is unnecessarily worry the people that read this forum, I mean you could be right but you also could be wrong - maybe there is a genuine back log or the department is focusing on other types of citizenship cases. Besides think about it what would be the endgame? - hold our passports and information for as long as possible until we forget?..

Louise I would keep phoning them every few days and try to keep on top of this, also write a complaint if you feel like it is taking too long. We have a legal right to renounce our citizenship as long as it does not make us stateless.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:06 am

BCarter wrote:I feel at this point it's best not to speculate because all it will do is unnecessarily worry the people that read this forum, I mean you could be right but you also could be wrong - maybe there is a genuine back log or the department is focusing on other types of citizenship cases. Besides think about it what would be the endgame? - hold our passports and information for as long as possible until we forget?..

Louise I would keep phoning them every few days and try to keep on top of this, also write a complaint if you feel like it is taking too long. We have a legal right to renounce our citizenship as long as it does not make us stateless.
Yes, I could quite possibly be wrong, and I really hope I am. The only reason I can think of [i.e. the negative one] is if there is a change in legislation in the pipeline. However, you are right, this is mere speculation on my part. I don't believe a back log has caused such a delay but maybe the Syrian situation is contributing? We've applied for a Visitor Visa as the 6 months doesn't even seem realistic now. Sorry, if I sound negative, but this whole process has caused unbelievable stress and strain. I really do mean it when i say I wish everyone good news and SOON.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:33 am

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote:I feel at this point it's best not to speculate because all it will do is unnecessarily worry the people that read this forum, I mean you could be right but you also could be wrong - maybe there is a genuine back log or the department is focusing on other types of citizenship cases. Besides think about it what would be the endgame? - hold our passports and information for as long as possible until we forget?..

Yes, I could quite possibly be wrong, and I really hope I am. The only reason I can think of [i.e. the negative one] is if there is a change in legislation in the pipeline. However, you are right, this is mere speculation on my part. I don't believe a back log has caused such a delay but maybe the Syrian situation is contributing? We've applied for a Visitor Visa as the 6 months doesn't even seem realistic now. Sorry, if I sound negative, but this whole process has caused unbelievable stress and strain. I really do mean it when i say I wish everyone good news and SOON.
It's quite alright, believe me I understand where you are coming from! :wink:

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:45 am

Hi, oh I will keep ringing them, that's a really good idea, the number i ring them on is 03001232253 , option 1 then option 2, then your given two more options , 1 if your application within 6 months , or option 2 if over.

I will keep you all posted, as soon as i hear anything.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Yeah, I would keep being a pain to them if I was you Louise, your 6 months are pretty much up, so you have the option of dialing the line to speak to them lol. Intend to do the same thing when its my turn :lol:

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:24 pm

lol. How often do you think i would get away with ringing them? would you say couple times a week is excessive? Or maybe if i bug them to much, they may hurry up to get rid of me :D

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Lol I will be ringing every couple of days until they get fed up and give me what I want. They held us hostage long enough, time to pester

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:43 pm

lol. Good idea. I will keep ringing them, may as well pester them tomorrow on my 6th month day hey. :D

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:22 pm

The way I see it the only power really we have is pester power and I fully intend to use that :D imagine how funny it will be when ever they answer the phone eventually and know you on first name terms. By the way I would check to see how much that number cost to call and if it's expensive I would suggest even phoning from Skype or some other service as it will be much cheaper or there may even be an alternative cheaper number. It may well be a landline cost but I don't know.. I only know northern Irish numbers Lol 8)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm

BCarter wrote:The way I see it the only power really we have is pester power and I fully intend to use that :D imagine how funny it will be when ever they answer the phone eventually and know you on first name terms. By the way I would check to see how much that number cost to call and if it's expensive I would suggest even phoning from Skype or some other service as it will be much cheaper or there may even be an alternative cheaper number. It may well be a landline cost but I don't know.. I only know northern Irish numbers Lol 8)
03 numbers are local rate numbers. They're free from mobile free minute packages and cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01/02).