ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E.U States Allowing Visa free Travel-E.U Fam&Residence c

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerex

Post by rogerex » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:24 am

You need a Visa for Slovakia :( even if you have a resident Permit..

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 am

rogerex wrote:You need a Visa for Slovakia :( even if you have a resident Permit..
:?:

If you have a residence-permit from any Schengen-State you do not need a Visa for Slovakia, and this will not be contested as Schengen-Rules work well even in practice.

If you have a residence-premit from the UK, Ireland, Bulgaria, Romania or Cyprus you will need a Schengen-Visa to go to Slovakia.

Exception: The residence-premit of the above 5 countries was issued based on marriage to an EU-citizen. But if you're married to an EU-citizen, you do not need a Visa for anywhere in the EU at all.

Also see >>here<< and >>here<<.

Regards, Christian

rogerex

Post by rogerex » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 am

Thta is not case as I have a UK resident permit and I'm married to an Slovak.

When she called her embassy in the Uk thye told her I do need a visa

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:29 am

rogerex wrote:Thta is not case as I have a UK resident permit and I'm married to an Slovak.
Do you have a residence card as the family member of an EEA citizen? If so you could try to clarify the situation through SOLVIT.

rogerex

Post by rogerex » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:38 am

yes residence card of a EEA citizen (Slovakia)

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 am

rogerex wrote:yes residence card of a EEA citizen (Slovakia)
Well then you don't need a visa if entering Slovakia in the company of, or to join, your spouse.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 pm

rogerex wrote:Thta is not case as I have a UK resident permit and I'm married to an Slovak.

When she called her embassy in the Uk thye told her I do need a visa
It may well be that the Slovak embassy in the UK told you that - however it is not true.

They tell people what they THINK is right, but if you follow the links I gave in my previous post you can learn WHY you do not need a visa.

In your case, no matter what the embassy tells you, you do NOT need a visa.

Happy travelling.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 pm

ca.funke wrote: Exception: The residence-premit of the above 5 countries was issued based on marriage to an EU-citizen. But if you're married to an EU-citizen, you do not need a Visa for anywhere in the EU at all.

Regards, Christian
Including UK ? :shock:.......hahaha I'm sure UK is not a member of EU
Charles4u

AncientAlien

Post by AncientAlien » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 am

86ti wrote:
AncientAlien wrote:I have just recently returned from a six-day holiday to Latvia. The whole travel process was completely hassle free, although I must add that I was with my spouce who is an EEA citizen (Latvian).
I reported a similar experience earlier in this thread (Sep or Oct 2008). Yes, with Latvia it seems to have been working correctly for a long while now. Through which UK airport did you return?

I returned through London stanstead airport
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy.”-Lord Denning

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:52 am

I noticed some certain EU countries allow EU family members with a valid residence permit as a family member of an EU to travel INDEPENDENTLY without in need of a visa or the EU spouse. They only have to hold (The family ID card, Copy of marriage certificate and maybe a copy of the EU spouse's ID) when travelling.

Atleast from what I know and comfirmed, the EU countries that allow independent visa-free travel for EU family member permit holders are : HUNGARY, SPAIN, CZECH, SLOVAKIA, BELGIUM, CYPRUS and BULGARIA.

I will update if I hear anything new.
Charles4u

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:44 pm

charles4u wrote:At least from what I know and comfirmed, the EU countries that allow independent visa-free travel for EU family member permit holders are : HUNGARY, SPAIN, CZECH, SLOVAKIA, BELGIUM, CYPRUS and BULGARIA.
Do you have any references to this? Any government web sites that mention this, e.g. Spain?

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
charles4u wrote:At least from what I know and comfirmed, the EU countries that allow independent visa-free travel for EU family member permit holders are : HUNGARY, SPAIN, CZECH, SLOVAKIA, BELGIUM, CYPRUS and BULGARIA.
Do you have any references to this? Any government web sites that mention this, e.g. Spain?
Yes they gave me a site but I couldnt read it cus its in Spanish. Maybe you can somehow. I wasnt sure myself and I had to comfirm twice and you can see the message below.
From: . Emb. Bucarest. Información <emb.bucarest.info@maec.es>
Subject: RE: Response
To: "charles" <***********>
Date: Monday, August 31, 2009, 8:04 AM

Yes. You can travel alone, without visa, with your passport and your residence card.

Best Regards,
Sección Consular
Embajada de España
Bucarest

-----Mensaje original-----
De: charles [mailto:***********]
Enviado el: lunes, 31 de agosto de 2009 14:39
Para: . Emb. Bucarest. Información
Asunto: Re: Response

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, So I can travel to Spain alone with my residence card as a family member of an EU citizen issued by Romania without in need of a visa ?

My wife is currently in Germany, I want to meet a friend in Spain for 2 weeks before I join my wife in Germany. I tried to call the embassy in Bucharest but I couldn't reach through. So I dont need a visa anyway right ?

Kind Regards

--- On Mon, 8/31/09, . Emb. Bucarest. Información <emb.bucarest.info@maec.es> wrote:

Subject: Response
To: ************
Date: Monday, August 31, 2009, 7:20 AM

Dear Sir,
We inform you that starting with 23 of July 2009 the persons with the ID for family members can travel to Spain without the visa. You can find the document published in BOE nº 177/23.07.2009 www.boe.es
So, you can travel directly to Spain with your passport and your residence card as a family member (remember, only if it´s a residence card as a family member).
Best Regards,
Sección Consular
Embajada de España
Bucarest

If you want, I can also give you the comfirmations from the other embassies.
Last edited by charles4u on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles4u

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 pm

You could also add Sweden to your list.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Obie wrote:You could also add Sweden to your list.
No, I dont think Sweden allow independent travel for EU family permit holders.

Mind you, Romania is not yet in Schengen....so I assume its the agreement that qualifies Romanian family members. Sweden might allow family member permit holders from Schengen countries if you get what I mean.
Charles4u

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:25 pm

A friend of mine with UK Resident Card traveled to Sweden Visa free without his EEA partner. He even went to Norway from there.

I also think Lithuanians allows visa free travel with or without the EEA family member, although i don't know anyone who has tried it yet.

I think the Swedes are one of the most pro-EU entity in Europe, so i was not surprised.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Obie wrote:A friend of mine with UK Resident Card traveled to Sweden Visa free without his EEA partner. He even went to Norway from there.

I also think Lithuanians allows visa free travel with or without the EEA family member, although i don't know anyone who has tried it yet.

I think the Swedes are one of the most pro-EU entity in Europe, so i was not surprised.
Wow this is strange but I am not too surprise either cus I know Sweden as you said is a pro-EU entity.

Well let me add GREECE too as they also allow EU family member permit holder to travel independently.

Maybe this last EU Directive/2004/38/EC report really really worked.
Charles4u

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
The Spanish document is an amendment to Royal Decree 240/2007 for Article 4, paragraph 2 (referring to Article 5.2 of the Directive). Google translates the new text as: "The possession of the family residence card of citizen of the Union, valid and in force, issued by another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, shall exempt such family members from the obligation to obtain the visa entry, and the production of this card does not require the stamping of entry or exit in the passport.".

The original text stated that only residence cards issued by full members of the Schengen agreement would be acceptable (we have a link somewhere in this thread).

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Maybe, just maybe our friends in the UK and Ireland might see some sense and allow free travel for holders of EU Resident Card with or without EU partner. One can only hope.

Although i personally think the possibility of that is near zero if not absolute zero.

That is excellent 86ti, i have been trying to find it and get it translated for the past hour now, with no success.

Great job mate.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 pm

86ti wrote:
The Spanish document is an amendment to Royal Decree 240/2007 for Article 4, paragraph 2 (referring to Article 5.2 of the Directive). Google translates the new text as: "The possession of the family residence card of citizen of the Union, valid and in force, issued by another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, shall exempt such family members from the obligation to obtain the visa entry, and the production of this card does not require the stamping of entry or exit in the passport.".

The original text stated that only residence cards issued by full members of the Schengen agreement would be acceptable (we have a link somewhere in this thread).
Thanks for the translation but they accept Romanian family member ID also and we all know Romania is not yet in Schengen.

ummm I noticed something ..."The possession of the family residence card of citizen of the Union, valid and in force, issued by another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, shall exempt such family members from the obligation to obtain the visa entry"
Charles4u

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Obie wrote:Maybe, just maybe our friends in the UK and Ireland might see some sense and allow free travel for holders of EU Resident Card with or without EU partner. One can only hope.

Although i personally think the possibility of that is near zero if not absolute zero.

That is excellent 86ti, i have been trying to find it and get it translated for the past hour now, with no success.

Great job mate.
I doubt that.

Even if they dont allow independently, atleast they should allow family member residence holder to accompany their EU spouse without visa.

I just feel its unfair for family members of UK or Ireland to come to Spain or Germany without a visa and German or Spanish family members have to go through applications and stuffs just for a visa to UK or Ireland.
Charles4u

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Although , two wrongs don't make a right, and if punitive/retaliatory measures are imposed it is the innocent that stands to suffer the most and not the scaremongers in Westminster or Leinster House, i would have supported these countries, imposing similar restrictions on UK and Ireland's residents, even though i will be a victim too.

Then again these incompetent, corrupt Nincompoop have their second homes allowances and bogus mortgages claims to worry about, rather than unwanted non-nationals not being allowed to travel visa free.

In fact i suspect they will be happy in a cynical way.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Obie wrote:Although , two wrongs don't make a right, and if punitive/retaliatory measures are imposed it is the innocent that stands to suffer the most and not the scaremongers in Westminster or Leinster House, i would have supported these countries, imposing similar restrictions on UK and Ireland's residents, even though i will be a victim too.

Then again these incompetent, corrupt Nincompoop have their second homes allowances and bogus mortgages claims to worry about, rather than unwanted non-nationals not being allowed to travel visa free.

In fact i suspect they will be happy in a cynical way.
I guess you are right, we can all act the same...it will create a world of disaster.

Anyway I just wanna add up to the list of countries that allow "residence card for family members" holders to travel independently.

Portugal also, which now makes it :

HUNGARY, SPAIN, CZECH, SLOVAKIA, BELGIUM, CYPRUS, BULGARIA, GREECE, PURTUGAL and SWEDEN.
Charles4u

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Charles, you really need to back up your information with some hard data...

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:24 pm

86ti wrote:Charles, you really need to back up your information with some hard data...
Indeed - and not just on this thread.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:20 pm

86ti wrote:Charles, you really need to back up your information with some hard data...
Ohh you guys dont believe me or something.

OK, first some of them...I got the information on phone and some replied me by email. I post the ones by email below.
PORTUGAL

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Dragos Popescu <dragos.popescu@bucareste.dgaccp.pt> wrote:

From: Dragos Popescu <dragos.popescu@bucareste.dgaccp.pt>
Subject: RE: Visa Enquiry
To: "'charles'" <***********>
Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 9:07 AM

Yes it is OK. You can travel alone to Portugal with this residence card.

But you must be carefull to check with the country were you will change the plane (not all the Schengen countries alows you to travel alone with this card). If you go directly (Blue Air) it is OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

De: charles [mailto:*******]
Enviada: 2 septembrie 2009 07:45
Para: Dragos Popescu
Assunto: RE: Visa Enquiry

Hello,

I have attached the copy of my residence card as family member because I am not sure if its yellow as you said or not, kindly take a look at it and tell me if I can travel ALONE with this ID and my passport to Portugal without a visa or I will need a visa.

Kind Regards

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Dragos Popescu <dragos.popescu@bucareste.dgaccp.pt> wrote:

From: Dragos Popescu <dragos.popescu@bucareste.dgaccp.pt>
Subject: RE: Visa Enquiry
To: "'charles'" <**********>
Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 4:33 AM

If you have a Romanian residence card for a family member of an european citizen (the yellow one) you do not need visa for Portugal .

If not you must apply for the visa. Documents needed:

- invitation/proof of accomodation/voucher

- plane reservation

- copy of your passport and Romanian residence card.

- 2 fotos

- 85 USD

- Proof of financial situation

- If you had previous Schengen visas, the process will take about 3 days, if not, it will take about 20 days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

De: charles [mailto:*********]
Enviada: 1 septembrie 2009 08:01
Para: consular@bucareste.dgaccp.pt
Assunto: Visa Enquiry

Hello,

I am a Nigerian but I reside here in Romania, I am married here so I hold a residence card as a family member. I want to visit Lisbon and the sea side for like 3 weeks and I would like to know the requirements of getting a visa and how long will the processing take.

Kind Regards

SPAIN

Subject: RE: Response
To: "charles" <***********>
Date: Monday, August 31, 2009, 8:04 AM

Yes. You can travel alone, without visa, with your passport and your residence card.

Best Regards,
Sección Consular
Embajada de España
Bucarest

-----Mensaje original-----
De: charles [mailto:***********]
Enviado el: lunes, 31 de agosto de 2009 14:39
Para: . Emb. Bucarest. Información
Asunto: Re: Response

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, So I can travel to Spain alone with my residence card as a family member of an EU citizen issued by Romania without in need of a visa ?

My wife is currently in Germany, I want to meet a friend in Spain for 2 weeks before I join my wife in Germany. I tried to call the embassy in Bucharest but I couldn't reach through. So I dont need a visa anyway right ?

Kind Regards

--- On Mon, 8/31/09, . Emb. Bucarest. Información <emb.bucarest.info@maec.es> wrote:

Subject: Response
To: ************
Date: Monday, August 31, 2009, 7:20 AM

Dear Sir,
We inform you that starting with 23 of July 2009 the persons with the ID for family members can travel to Spain without the visa. You can find the document published in BOE nº 177/23.07.2009 www.boe.es
So, you can travel directly to Spain with your passport and your residence card as a family member (remember, only if it´s a residence card as a family member).
Best Regards,
Sección Consular
Embajada de España
Bucarest
GREECE

--- On Tue, 9/1/09, Consulate Office of the Hellenic Republic in Bucharest <grconsulbu@iren.ro> wrote:

From: Consulate Office of the Hellenic Republic in Bucharest <grconsulbu@iren.ro>
Subject: FW: Visa enquiry
To: ***********
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 6:12 AM

Nu este necesara viza! Puteti calatori cu pasaportul si cu permisul de rezidenta ca membru de familie!

No visa necessary! You need to travel with your passport and residence permit as a family member!

Consulate Office of the Hellenic Republic
Bucharest

-----Original Message-----
From: Embassy of Greece in Bucharest [mailto:gremb.buc@mfa.gr]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 10:08 AM
To: Alexopoulou Xrysa; CONSULATE; ΣωτηÏ
Charles4u