ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by rayyfar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm
Waitingagain wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:49 pm
I’ve sent the following to my MP after they responded with HO’s generic response last week:

Thank you for your response below. Unsurprisingly, many councils have already stated that they won’t be providing ceremonies during the upcoming lockdown and I think a fairly safe assumption is that the printing of certificates will stop as well.

I follow a forum, with people in a similar position to me, and the number of worrying mental health statements being made is very concerning.
There is an assumption that it’s just an administrative task and that people aren’t really affected by waiting at this last administrative hurdle, but I can vouch for anyone that it affects your mental wealth significant not knowing when you will finally have the ability to apply for a passport.

Personally, I have spent an enormous amount of money and lived a law abiding life to have the privilege to apply for citizenship to the UK and I for the life of me can’t imagine why certificates are delaying my celebrations of being part of a country I’ve dreamt about being part of my entire life.

Initially, I was very excited for the ceremony, being a confirmation of being British, but recently noted that these ceremonies only started 16 years ago.

Three major points that we should be asking ourselves at this point in my opinion about delaying people’s celebration of becoming British:
Is it right? (clearly not, people are waiting, being affected in a myriad of ways, including mental health. It’s a stressful time and is a massive event in any applicants life, with the administrative uncertainty making life very difficult)
Is it helpful? (have naturalised/registered citizens become more law-abiding since ceremonies were introduced in 2004? Does any statistic prove that a ceremony leads to a more integrated British citizen?)
Is it necessary? (what difference does it make to read a few sentences off a piece of paper compared to ticking a box on a website form? Besides, the advent of virtual ceremonies is already a half-way house toward a full digitisation - time to take a brave new step into the XXI century).
I understand that in many ways there is very little anyone can do at this point, except for the point to be discussed in parliament. The US, Canada and Australia have all temporarily removed the need for citizenship ceremonies, and in the UK, this has not hit the media, potentially because there is no exclusion in an upcoming election. What is clear though, is that it still creates exclusion and tremendous uncertainty in an already uncertain world.
I very much like your response, points of which I agree and I am thinking of copying it and sending to my mp, I also think we should create a petition to digitise the citizenship ceremony and certificate which will be debated on parliament if it receives 10000 signatures.
I think i will send it to my mo as well
And i agree with petition other wise we dont know how will they leave us all hanging also it will help other who will be affected by this issue

CheshireKnight
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by CheshireKnight » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:54 pm

MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:41 pm
lemmeseeyouwalk wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:32 pm
Stockport council.

Approved 7th of July. Never got any letter, and my council does not have my certificate. Today the council has informed me that ceremonies are suspended again.

Oh well. At this rate my 6 months will expire, and I will absolutely not be surprised if I lose my citizenship because the HO will say it's somehow my fault :\
That's so bad of them. Their website was last updated April.

I checked Manchester Council which got updated TODAY about an hour ago. They do not mention the suspension of the citizenship ceremonies. However, they have mentioned the suspension of weddings/civil partnerships.

Maybe it's worth showing this to them? And showing the actual gov.uk page which shows citizenships aren't suspended? Maybe the agent you spoke to was clueless/misunderstood.

See here: https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/5 ... cemeteries
Hi

I’ve also spoken to my solicitor and the council. Both confirmed that citizenship ceremonies service will continue. The suspension is only for weddings and civil partnerships.

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 pm

I support the petition idea.
Also if many of us contact our MPs asking them to digitise the procedure or find a solution that would allow already approved applicants finally become British citizens, maybe it will have some effect.
I've been waiting for my citizenship paperwork for over half a year now and I can't see how this situation can improve unless the process is changed. If the HO failed to print the certificates in 4 months between the two lockdowns, I doubt they will fix it now.

Baby777
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Baby777 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi

I was waiting since 17 August
Hillingdon council.
Today I received this email:” We will not be able to conduct citizenship ceremonies during lockdown and will have to wait to see if the restrictions are eased on 2nd December before we can book any ceremonies again.”
😢😢

jefoy22123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jefoy22123 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:30 pm

I just spoke to Camden Council - they confirm I can attend the ceremony without the invitation letter.
Hopefully on Wednesday everything will be ok and my journey will be over.

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:31 pm

Some council are just lazy and want to collect free money. I dont understand why they can't offer ceremonies especially private ones... government didn't ask them to close. It only asked those who can work from home to do so and those who csnt should go to work ....

asmo
Newly Registered
Monaco

Post by asmo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi all,

I tried to call HO today, they do not know anything and the lady at the phone could not tell me if we should expect further delays and at the end of the call was a bit annoyed, however I am always really polite.. the fact that they are not able to tell you if your certificate has been printed or not is something that in 2020 with all this technology I just cannot understand, I am just feed up with this whole thing 😓 I mean if at least they could tell us we are going to stop everything please expect thing to boot up again on January (what I do personally think) we may arrange better terms for our Christmas, anyway ...

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:41 pm

asmo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:35 pm
Hi all,

I tried to call HO today, they do not know anything and the lady at the phone could not tell me if we should expect further delays and at the end of the call was a bit annoyed, however I am always really polite.. the fact that they are not able to tell you if your certificate has been printed or not is something that in 2020 with all this technology I just cannot understand, I am just feed up with this whole thing 😓 I mean if at least they could tell us we are going to stop everything please expect thing to boot up again on January (what I do personally think) we may arrange better terms for our Christmas, anyway ...

Exactly why would you have a call center and they can't give out or don't know anything !!!. They csnt check or confirm if letters or certificate has been printed or sent.. so what is the point...

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Post by rayyfar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:55 pm

@ FRou1

I have some hope full news for anyone dealing with Birmingham council

I applied for a volunteer position at the council so I can help people during COVID gladly I have a meeting with the council and I can ask them questions directly.

I will appreciate input in to question you will like to ask I will add this to my list. and I will of course share outcome with everyone.

I see this as a good opportunity to raise concern on behalf of everyone.

Learning20
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Learning20 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Great news :D
I just recieved an email from my council saying the finally got my certificate and booked me in for wenesday morning.
Just as I was about to loose hope after a year of waiting. I am finally relieved this journey is over and done with soon.

To the guy bay (sorry cannot remember the rest of your name) I just want to thank you for helping us all through the hard time H.O has/ are given us. Your predicted timeline is accurate. Also for all the other people posting as well. Thank you all for your support.
Its important to stay positive what is meant for you will come your way the right time.
I hope you all hear great news soon🤲🤲🤲🤲

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:09 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:45 pm
Cocobana wrote:
Waitingagain wrote:
I’ve sent the following to my MP after they responded with HO’s generic response last week:

Thank you for your response below. Unsurprisingly, many councils have already stated that they won’t be providing ceremonies during the upcoming lockdown and I think a fairly safe assumption is that the printing of certificates will stop as well.

I follow a forum, with people in a similar position to me, and the number of worrying mental health statements being made is very concerning.
There is an assumption that it’s just an administrative task and that people aren’t really affected by waiting at this last administrative hurdle, but I can vouch for anyone that it affects your mental wealth significant not knowing when you will finally have the ability to apply for a passport.

Personally, I have spent an enormous amount of money and lived a law abiding life to have the privilege to apply for citizenship to the UK and I for the life of me can’t imagine why certificates are delaying my celebrations of being part of a country I’ve dreamt about being part of my entire life.

Initially, I was very excited for the ceremony, being a confirmation of being British, but recently noted that these ceremonies only started 16 years ago.

Three major points that we should be asking ourselves at this point in my opinion about delaying people’s celebration of becoming British:
Is it right? (clearly not, people are waiting, being affected in a myriad of ways, including mental health. It’s a stressful time and is a massive event in any applicants life, with the administrative uncertainty making life very difficult)
Is it helpful? (have naturalised/registered citizens become more law-abiding since ceremonies were introduced in 2004? Does any statistic prove that a ceremony leads to a more integrated British citizen?)
Is it necessary? (what difference does it make to read a few sentences off a piece of paper compared to ticking a box on a website form? Besides, the advent of virtual ceremonies is already a half-way house toward a full digitisation - time to take a brave new step into the XXI century).
I understand that in many ways there is very little anyone can do at this point, except for the point to be discussed in parliament. The US, Canada and Australia have all temporarily removed the need for citizenship ceremonies, and in the UK, this has not hit the media, potentially because there is no exclusion in an upcoming election. What is clear though, is that it still creates exclusion and tremendous uncertainty in an already uncertain world.
I very much like your response, points of which I agree and I am thinking of copying it and sending to my mp, I also think we should create a petition to digitise the citizenship ceremony and certificate which will be debated on parliament if it receives 10000 signatures.
And i agree with petition other wise we dont know how will they leave us all hanging also it will help other who will be affected by this issue
I have emailed my Mp and I will hopefully get a reply in 14days.
I have also created a petition and everyone should sign it is worth a shot! This is an opportunity to force a change against the way HO has and still is handling citizenship.
To sign the petition click on the link below

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... cjy66lPB66

Cost Manager
United Kingdom

Post by Cost Manager » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Learning20 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 pm
Great news :D
I just recieved an email from my council saying the finally got my certificate and booked me in for wenesday morning.
Just as I was about to loose hope after a year of waiting. I am finally relieved this journey is over and done with soon.

To the guy bay (sorry cannot remember the rest of your name) I just want to thank you for helping us all through the hard time H.O has/ are given us. Your predicted timeline is accurate. Also for all the other people posting as well. Thank you all for your support.
Its important to stay positive what is meant for you will come your way the right time.
I hope you all hear great news soon🤲🤲🤲🤲
What is your approval date?
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

FreshFromTheGrave
Mood:
South Africa

Post by FreshFromTheGrave » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Welp, Brent council cancelled my ceremony today with absolutely no instructions of what to do next. Literally just "your citizenship ceremony has been cancelled" and nothing else. Sooo like must I call again and book now or do I have to wait until lockdown eases?

rayyfar
United Kingdom

Post by rayyfar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:09 pm
rayyfar wrote:
Cocobana wrote:
Waitingagain wrote:

I have also created a petition and everyone should sign it is worth a shot! This is an opportunity to force a change against the way HO has and still is handling citizenship.

I have signed it we need people to sign this so it can go live and be shared

lmannova
United Kingdom

Post by lmannova » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:26 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:25 pm
Cocobana wrote:
rayyfar wrote:
Cocobana wrote:

I've just signed it too.

fandorin
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by fandorin » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 pm

lmannova wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:26 pm
rayyfar wrote:
Cocobana wrote:
rayyfar wrote:

I've just signed it too.
I've signed it too.

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:30 pm

mdiqbal wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:32 pm
Dear all,
Just an update, my closed one's certificate was arrived at his council on 31/10/2020 for 14/10/2020 approval but no invitation letter.
I was in doubt but decided to email my council this morning and I just received the reply below
“ Thank you for your email.

We received your certificate from the Home Office this morning. We are still awaiting confirmation from Government about what ceremonies can be delivered while we are in Lockdown from Thursday. Please be assured we will be in contact as soon as we have more information and are able to book your ceremony.

Kind Regards”
FYI I was approved on 1st September. Maidstone council

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:30 pm
mdiqbal wrote:
Dear all,
Just an update, my closed one's certificate was arrived at his council on 31/10/2020 for 14/10/2020 approval but no invitation letter.
I was in doubt but decided to email my council this morning and I just received the reply below

We received your certificate from the Home Office this morning. We are still awaiting confirmation from Government about what ceremonies can be delivered while we are in Lockdown from Thursday. Please be assured we will be in contact as soon as we have more information and are able to book your ceremony.

Kind Regards”
That’s great.

May I asked if you have found out about your approval after enquiring with HO? Did you have a long wait prior?

I’m wondering if you have been approved earlier?

PKay39
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by PKay39 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:43 pm

1st of September? Wow. Glimpse of hope despite the current uncertainty. Hope they give you a virtual ceremony

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:43 pm

fandorin wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 pm
lmannova wrote:
rayyfar wrote:
Cocobana wrote:

I've just signed it too.
I've signed it too.
Also signed.

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:43 pm

fandorin wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 pm
lmannova wrote:
rayyfar wrote:
Cocobana wrote:

I've just signed it too.
I've signed it too.
I received the email below regarding the petition

5 people have supported your petition so far. We’re checking your petition to make sure it meets the petition standards. If it does, we’ll publish it. Because of Coronavirus we have a very large number of petitions to check at the moment so it may take a few weeks. Thank you for your patience.

Once your petition has 21 signatures it won’t be able to add more until it’s been checked. So, please wait until it’s been checked and published before sharing it with lots more people.

Find out how we check petitions before we publish them:
https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standards

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
I will keep us posted. As said we need to push it including people who have had the ceremony and have become British. Everyone concerned should sign it. This affects us all in one way or another

PKay39
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by PKay39 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Signed it

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Cocobana wrote:
mdiqbal wrote:
Dear all,

Kind Regards”
That’s great.

May I asked if you have found out about your approval after enquiring with HO? Did you have a long wait prior?

Hi, here is my timeline below
Eligibility criteria: 10yrs ILR + spouse
Language Criteria: MSC + LiUK test
Nationality: non Eu
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 08 July 2020
Payment method: Debit card
Date of debit fees: 08 July 2020
Date of acknowledgement: 08 July 2020
Date of Biometric reuse email: 06 August 2020
Opted out -07 August 2020
Date Biometrics enrolled: 20 August 2020
Date on Approval letter: 1 September 2020 email
Date of receipt of approval: Email
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: PENDING
Date of Ceremony: PENDING

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Cocobana wrote:
mdiqbal wrote:
Dear all,
Oh wow! Thanks so much for sharing!

You are obviously a very recent applicant with a quick decision.

Therefore I strongly assume the 1st September is your genuine approval date and that gives me hope that all certificates up to September are indeed printed and sent.

Kind Regards”
That’s great.

Hi, here is my timeline below
Eligibility criteria: 10yrs ILR + spouse
Language Criteria: MSC + LiUK test
Nationality: non Eu
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 08 July 2020
Payment method: Debit card
Date of debit fees: 08 July 2020
Date of acknowledgement: 08 July 2020
Date of Biometric reuse email: 06 August 2020
Opted out -07 August 2020
Date Biometrics enrolled: 20 August 2020
Date on Approval letter: 1 September 2020 email
Date of receipt of approval: Email
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: PENDING
Date of Ceremony: PENDING

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Just got this from mc council

We have, today, received certificates for decisions made end of June and beginning of July.

However, your certificate is not amongst them.

In any case, unfortunately, after the Prime Ministers announcement on Saturday.

It appears that the citizenship ceremonies will be postponed until after the lockdown is lifted.

Kind Regards 

Manchester Register Office,
Heron House,

So for me till next year before I do the ceremony. I will give them all the time to send ceremony letter. I have just given up