ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new cover letter for 2nd attempt at EEA 2 (sorry its long)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 07, 2012 11:28 am

lolo82 wrote:I think that we will re-organise our evidence with a detailed cover letter.

I am confused regarding why PR does not matter for my partner but matters to me.
As you said, being Irish means he is considered "settled" from day 1 so having a PR under the EEA regulations (after the 5 years) doesn't change anything for him. For you as a family member, there are advantages of him having PR as it would mean he doesn't have to exercise treaty rights any more (i.e. he can stop working and you would still qualify).

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 pm

lolo82 wrote:I think that we will re-organise our evidence with a detailed cover letter.

I am confused regarding why PR does not matter for my partner but matters to me.
In general, an EU national can come and go as they please. They can prove entitlement to work by showing their passport. This is why having residence documentation is not so important for them. Other EU countries make having residence documentation mandatory, but the UK chose not to.

For the non-EU national having residence documentation is a real benefit. It can be used to show entitlement to work in the UK and allows them visa free travel in certain circumstances. For an unmarried partner it is very important as it is their means of showing that they are a family member of the EU national.

Do you see the difference now?

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Thank you Jambo and EUsmile - I understand the difference and what benefits are had with PR :)