ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Northern Irish. Renounce british citizenship. Non eu spouse

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 am

Smalldog is correct.

What is ukba's current position in cases where a dual British national seeks to use the surrinder singh route having worked in the the other country of their nationality. I.e. The op has an Irish passport already and goes to work in ROI he is therefore not exercising treaty rights in Ireland since he is an Irish national?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:24 am

Greenie wrote:What is ukba's current position in cases where a dual British national seeks to use the surrinder singh route having worked in the the other country of their nationality. I.e. The op has an Irish passport already and goes to work in ROI he is therefore not exercising treaty rights in Ireland since he is an Irish national?
Actually, the OP doesn't currently have an Irish passport. Whether or not he has exercised his right to be an Irish citizen via another method is unknown but, in any case, in the example you suggested, the OP would return to the UK and complete (or, rather, the spouse would complete) the EEA2 form declaring the OP to be a UK national returning under Singh. The UKBA, to my knowledge anyway, are not currently investigating returning "Singh" UK nationals to discover whether or not they are also a citizen of the Member State from which they are returning have pursued economic activity there.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm

In his first post he says he has just applied for an Irish passport.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Greenie wrote:In his first post he says he has just applied for an Irish passport.
Ah yes, just saw that.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:50 am

OP: how long did your renunciation take after all? Did you go through with it?

ShrewsburyMark

Re: Northern Irish. Renounce british citizenship. Non eu spo

Post by ShrewsburyMark » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm

I renounced my British Citizenship to bring my non EU spouse into the UK using my Irish citizenship. It took 6 weeks for them to process and cost £250. HTH

M

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks a lot Mark! Hope you guys can get the RC soon (if you haven't already got it!).

All the best.
CC

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:08 am

ShrewsburyMark wrote:I renounced my British Citizenship to bring my non EU spouse into the UK using my Irish citizenship. It took 6 weeks for them to process and cost £250. HTH

M
Sorry again Mark, did they give you back your passport after the renunciation (e.g. cancelled/with a corner snipped off)?

xerocool9
Newly Registered

Post by xerocool9 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello

We are in a similar situation.

Did you renounce your UK citizenship? Can you get it back?

She is the Uk citizen and I am American. She is still in school and does not meet the income requirement for UKBA.