ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 pm

sunil.suneel wrote:
Derivaz wrote:
neoseal wrote:You will get refreshments and usually they don't make mistake, just check the details on HO invitation letter, the same details are on certificate.
I checked the details on my approval letter and they were correct, BUT you can never rule out anything with the HO lol

I also hope they don't lose my certificate or something and I turn up there for nothing lol
When is your ceremony arranged ??? Do share your experience :)
They told me the 22nd and my flatmate just texted me to let me know, I got a letter from the council, so hopefully, this is the council invitation and there are no issues...

Sure, I'll share my experience, the main thing is to get the certificate without errors; I don't fancy more HO headaches lol

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 pm

I would say UKBA is not that bad, statistically 5% margin of error is allowed, they seem to have much less.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:33 pm

neoseal wrote:I would say UKBA is not that bad, statistically 5% margin of error is allowed, they seem to have much less.
You think that more than 95% of the certificates are error free?

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Ya.

Not all applicants post on this forum, but from the sample of people who post on this forum, very few have mistakes on their certificates which then can be implied to wider sample data.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

neoseal wrote:Ya.

Not all applicants post on this forum, but from the sample of people who post on this forum, very few have mistakes on their certificates which then can be implied to wider sample data.
Hope you are right; I don't fancy sending my certificate back to the HO and wait another month or two... or if it got lost and they don't have it at the NCS...

I'll find out in a few days...

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:00 pm

neoseal wrote:Ya.

I got the invitation letter from the council today; so the booking seems to be fine; although they missed my middle name out on this invitation letter and on the envelope, but i guess this has nothing to do with the certificate issued by the HO.... so hopefully, the certificate will be ok, because it comes from the HO, whereas this letter probably comes from the person who took my name over the phone last week....

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Don't worry about middle name on invitation. My invitation email had no name at all. All is going to be fine.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 am

neoseal wrote:Don't worry about middle name on invitation. My invitation email had no name at all. All is going to be fine.
I've phoned the council again and told them they missed out my middle name on the invitation letter; they said, that doesn't matter, because the certificate is issued by the HO, so as long as the info was correct on the HO letter; it should be fine; so theoretically, it should be fine; we will see on Tuesday haha

downlights

Post by downlights » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Attended citizenship ceremony today at the local authority offices, council staff very professional and the ceremony was over in under an hour. There were eight people getting naturalised and about 20 people in total. Before the start of the ceremony, local dignitaries go round the room shaking hands with us and we had conversations.

Most of the now citizens including myself and their guests dressed smartly and looked tidy. For the one or two that decided to come looking scruffy, we nevertheless embraced them as it is our promise to become tolerant British people and uphold British values. Yet there was this lady who hardly speaks any English and had difficulty saying her name at the oath, it is evidentally clear that she hasn't met Home Office requirements for the final part of her citizenship process. She still gets the certificate though.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 am

downlights wrote:Attended citizenship ceremony today at the local authority offices, council staff very professional and the ceremony was over in under an hour. There were eight people getting naturalised and about 20 people in total. Before the start of the ceremony, local dignitaries go round the room shaking hands with us and we had conversations.

Most of the now citizens including myself and their guests dressed smartly and looked tidy. For the one or two that decided to come looking scruffy, we nevertheless embraced them as it is our promise to become tolerant British people and uphold British values. Yet there was this lady who hardly speaks any English and had difficulty saying her name at the oath, it is evidentally clear that she hasn't met Home Office requirements for the final part of her citizenship process. She still gets the certificate though.
My ceremony was similar and yeah, I've also met some people that have been naturalised and their English is pretty poor; I'm not sure how they could pass the tests or how they can live here for 6 years and not speak better English... aww well, it's over now.

VR

Chaps some interesting Queries

Post by VR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:47 am

Friends,

The Invitation Letter also contains a bit which spells out how the name appears on the certificate and explains what you need to do to correct if there are mistakes and asks you to arrange the Ceremony......

This is an interesting scenario.

Assuming this bit is correct.

Now after the Ceremony they give you the Certificate.

The name on the Certificate is typed with a portion inside stars

*Vijay* Gyanendra Deshmukh

What is the value inside the Stars? First Name or Surname?
Assuming they have put the Surname inside but overall the full name as on your passport is present.

When you apply for your British Passport, you fill out the form and give the
Surname and First and Middle Name there in.

You also submit the Original Certificate of Naturalisation to them.

Questions

a) When you get your passport, will it come with the name as in your application for passport (which you entered correctly)
b) Do they send back the same Certificate or Corrected one if there has been a swap as above?
c)Or Do they just send you the passport with correct name picked up from your application form and Certificate (as issued originally)?

Anybody who encountered this may clarify so that others can take care when they apply.
cheers
vr

Derivaz

Re: Chaps some interesting Queries

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:58 pm

VR wrote:Friends,

The Invitation Letter also contains a bit which spells out how the name appears on the certificate and explains what you need to do to correct if there are mistakes and asks you to arrange the Ceremony......

Assuming they have put the Surname inside but overall the full name as on your passport is present.

Questions

a) When you get your passport, will it come with the name as in your application for passport (which you entered correctly)
b) Do they send back the same Certificate or Corrected one if there has been a swap as above?
c)Or Do they just send you the passport with correct name picked up from your application form and Certificate (as issued originally)?

Anybody who encountered this may clarify so that others can take care when they apply.
cheers
vr
I think what you described is the right format; and it's also the way it's on passports; at least on my foreign one; surname and then name; the difference is that on the passport it's clear surname: Smith, Name: John; so if you fill in your passport form Surname: Smith, Name: John; I assume that's how it will be on your passport and I don't think they don't correct certificates if it's wrong, you would need to send it back to the Home Office,but I think in your case, it's correct.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Questions

cheers
vr
I think its unnecessary research topic. All official documents have a certain name format. All you need to take care of is, when you apply for anything, Insert your first name, middle name, and surname is the right columns or boxes, simple.

If you look at your driving license, Surname appears first, then first and middle names. I have more than a dozen different ID and work cards issued by different government and non govt bodies. They have different name formats.

So, Peter John Smith is mentioned as

1. Smith, Peter John
2. Smith Peter J
3. Smith P J
4. Peter Smith
5. Peter John Smith
6. Peter J Smith
7. P J Smith

Out of these, all the cards that are issued by government departments or agencies, the name format is Smith, Peter John & and one scottish department has mentioned it as Smith Peter.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:

Questions

cheers
vr
I think its unnecessary research topic. All official documents have a certain name format. All you need to take care of is, when you apply for anything, Insert your first name, middle name, and surname is the right columns or boxes, simple.

If you look at your driving license, Surname appears first, then first and middle names. I have more than a dozen different ID and work cards issued by different government and non govt bodies. They have different name formats.

So, Peter John Smith is mentioned as

1. Smith, Peter John
2. Smith Peter J
3. Smith P J
4. Peter Smith
5. Peter John Smith
6. Peter J Smith
7. P J Smith

Out of these, all the cards that are issued by government departments or agencies, the name format is Smith, Peter John & and one scottish department has mentioned it as Smith Peter.
You are probably right there, anyway, I asked the lady at the ceremony and she told me that was the right forma; I also asked a friend who was recently naturalised and got his passport and has the same format; so the stardard format is *Smith* John; I didn't ask about middle names, because I don't have any, but I've checked my other passport and ID and it's the same Smith, John; first surname and 2nd the name; i think it's stardard for passports and IDs; at least, European ones, so if Vijay is the surname , then *Vijay* Gyanendra Deshmukh is correct.....

VR

Vijay is the first name in the example

Post by VR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Derivaz,

Thank you for the response. It was an example. One guy I saw at the post office had this query and they mentioned that the Home office has made a mistake.

I was not sure. I looked at the invitation which contained the right name as it appeared on the Certificate of Naturalization, but on the actual Certificate they had transposed.

I told him to apply as the full name as on his Passport was on the Certificate and that the Passport application would give the correct pieces in the first name, surname and middle name fields and they could pick up from there.
cheers
vr

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 pm

What if someone has a real lenghty south Indian name like

Balaraman Dhanasekharan Kalyanasundram Gundo-Rao

:lol:

Derivaz

Re: Vijay is the first name in the example

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:55 pm

VR wrote:Derivaz,

Thank you for the response. It was an example. One guy I saw at the post office had this query and they mentioned that the Home office has made a mistake.

I was not sure. I looked at the invitation which contained the right name as it appeared on the Certificate of Naturalization, but on the actual Certificate they had transposed.

I told him to apply as the full name as on his Passport was on the Certificate and that the Passport application would give the correct pieces in the first name, surname and middle name fields and they could pick up from there.
cheers
vr
If it was *Surname* name; it's correct; that's how my pal's showed and he had no bother to get his passport; mine shows like that as well; I asked the lady at the ceremony and she told me that's the normal format; so if yours is like that, you are fine, if it's not like that, then it might have an error and you might need to send it back to the HO to correct it, the passport office people don't correct certificates

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:What if someone has a real lenghty south Indian name like

Balaraman Dhanasekharan Kalyanasundram Gundo-Rao

:lol:
Jesus, they'll need 2 certificates then lol

VR

LOL- Srilankan Names

Post by VR » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 am

Assuming a Srilankan applied for Naturalisation. Someone should tell Teresa May, that they will end up issuing A Naturalisation Certificate for an entire family tree! :D

Take a classic example DPDM Jayawardene '' Dhanasekhara, Padmakumara Dandinayaka Mullutivulu blah blah blah'' LOL
cheers
vr

Derivaz

Re: LOL- Srilankan Names

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:43 am

VR wrote:Assuming a Srilankan applied for Naturalisation. Someone should tell Teresa May, that they will end up issuing A Naturalisation Certificate for an entire family tree! :D

Take a classic example DPDM Jayawardene '' Dhanasekhara, Padmakumara Dandinayaka Mullutivulu blah blah blah'' LOL
cheers
vr
they'd have to shorten it, I think.