ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Goodnews from HSMP forum

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Tue May 01, 2007 12:39 pm

SYH, lets be hopeful, if the JR goes through, you maybe able to argue your case for naturalisation straightway, given the special case scenerio, but i must say its 50/50 chance.
Its worth trying, the only thing here to lose is the apps fee if its turned down.
Am positive we will get the JR.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed May 02, 2007 6:28 am

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme

Message from the Mayor of London Ken Livingstone

May 2007

To: Amit Kapadia - HSMP Forum

As Mayor of London, I am clear that London’s future prosperity depends on it remaining a diverse world city open to people and influences from across the globe. Whilst this is true of people arriving through all immigration routes, the gains are especially obvious where they bring advanced skills. Both London and the UK need to build up high-quality human capital, a key driver of future productivity growth.

The Highly Skilled Migrants Programme (HSMP) has a clear part to play in achieving this goal. London’s economy stands to gain massively from the high-skilled staff it attracts.

But migrants can make their full contribution only if policy enables them to develop projects, build careers and shape their personal life on a stable and secure basis.

So I have heard with deep concern about the impact of HSMP rule changes last November on people who arrived under the previous HSMP regime, and now find themselves required to seek extension of their permission to remain under a new set of criteria.

To change rules retrospectively in this way, for people who have made a major commitment to a productive role in the UK, is manifestly unjust. It also threatens real damage to the economy of London and the UK – not only by disrupting people’s work, even forcing them to leave, but also by undermining our relationship with dynamic markets around the world.

I urge the Government to allow people admitted under the HSMP before 7 November 2006 to apply for permanent settlement after four years, according to the rules in force (further visa extension on economic activity and permanent settlement in 4 years) when they got HSMP approval.

I wish you well with your campaign.

Yours sincerely,

Ken Livingstone

Mayor of London

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed May 02, 2007 6:45 am

Ken Livingstone is a joke... He comes up with all these schemes with one aim to increase taxes of all working people in London.

Recently he was lobbying for passing a law to charge Londoners with a local income tax which is based on how much one earns...

Also the rules where changed in November and it took him so long to make a statement... Election time,,, *think* *think*

victorind

successful appeal details

Post by victorind » Sun May 06, 2007 5:40 pm

successful appeal details

http://www.gherson.com/node/561

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun May 06, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks victor
this site also details the issue about absences and how they are not clear cut.
It seems HO had started one kind of interpretation previously and more recently had gotten to a stricter interpretation
So beware if you have assignments abroad

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun May 06, 2007 6:19 pm

OY
Last edited by SYH on Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bani

Re: successful appeal details

Post by bani » Sun May 06, 2007 7:18 pm

victorind wrote:successful appeal details

http://www.gherson.com/node/561
Thanks for the article! I'm very pleased that someone was able to challenge the HSMP rule change, and succeed on "legitimate expectation". If that one person had legitimate expectation to stay and then get ILR after 4 years, then so do all of us who were approved before Nov 2006. We all signed the same form after all. I hope the JR succeeds based on this.

badhorse

Post by badhorse » Mon May 07, 2007 12:14 pm

VBSI is good. Thanks!

If everyone do one thing for VBSI (which I have done), we will be in a much stronger position.

I take my hat off to all VBSI members.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon May 07, 2007 3:11 pm

looks like the HSMP programme will be shutdown sooner than expected and the new points systen will be brought forward.

But it all depends whether HO tries to appeal or contest the appeal

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Tue May 08, 2007 1:04 am

Can't help but wonder what effect John Reid's resignation might have on the HSMP, the new point system, HO appeal, etc:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6629877.stm
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue May 08, 2007 8:21 pm

Repeat Post
Last edited by SYH on Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Thu May 10, 2007 4:17 pm

olisun wrote:Ken Livingstone is a joke... He comes up with all these schemes with one aim to increase taxes of all working people in London.

Recently he was lobbying for passing a law to charge Londoners with a local income tax which is based on how much one earns...

Also the rules where changed in November and it took him so long to make a statement... Election time,,, *think* *think*
well, it seems to me that if we go around insulting on the Web prominent politicians who come out in favour of our cause, we are shooting ourslves in the foot or worse. Be grateful to Ken now and once we have won, you can choose to vote for him or not!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu May 10, 2007 4:37 pm

tobiashomer wrote:
olisun wrote:Ken Livingstone is a joke... He comes up with all these schemes with one aim to increase taxes of all working people in London.

well, it seems to me that if we go around insulting on the Web prominent politicians who come out in favour of our cause, we are shooting ourslves in the foot or worse. Be grateful to Ken now and once we have won, you can choose to vote for him or not!
He can insult all he wants, really...freedom of speech and all. Of course Livingstone is probably thinking of the tax, considering London is 'business capital number one'. He might really care, though, like he does for the poor in Venezuela...

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu May 10, 2007 6:20 pm

tobiashomer wrote:

It's upto you whether you see this as a insult or not.

But the truth is, where was he all the time when the new hsmp rules were brought in since november last year... Why did he decide to have a say just in time before the elections???

Did he join you all in those protest marches etc??? If not, then why not????

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Mon May 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Ken Livingstone in previous interviews has always been positive towards the contribution of skilled tax-paying migrants to London's economy and unlike other politicians, does not tar all immigrants with the same brush.

The notion that his statement to support HSMP immigrants, is election related does not hold much water, as the skilled migrants hardly form a vote bank to have any impact on any election hence he could not expect any electoral benefit. On the contrary, a large section of the native British voters who have been fed on theories from Daily Mail, Daily Express etc that Immigrants are the cause of all problems in UK would be likely to turn against him for being perceived as "soft" on immigrants.

Any support even in the form of a late supporting statement is welcome to us.