ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want your biometric record deleted after becoming British?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zero1
Newly Registered

Re: Want your Biometric Data deleting once British?

Post by zero1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 am

fwd079 wrote:New guidance came into effect on April 6, 2015.
Are you saying that only people who applied after April 6 will have their fingerprints deleted automatically?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:03 pm

zero1 wrote:
Are you saying that only people who applied after April 6 will have their fingerprints deleted automatically?
Click here please.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

zero1
Newly Registered

Post by zero1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 am

fwd079 wrote:
zero1 wrote:
Click here please.
Sorry, maybe I am being thick, but the amendments you posted (to the British Nationality (General) Regulations 2003) state that fingerprints will be deleted where they were provided under these new regulations, i.e. for successfully naturalised persons who were required to submit biometric information with their application.

I provided my biometric information when applying for my visa in 2008 and again for FLR and ILR so it would seem to me to not be automatically covered by the new regulations. That is, the new policy is to delete the fingerprints of everyone after they attend the ceremony, but I doubt they will retrospectively go through all naturalised applicants over the past 7 years and check whether they provided fingerprints and whether they need to delete them or not.

Unless they are already doing that under some other policy, which I suspect is the case but am not sure. I was just providing a data point that my fingerprints had not been deleted 8 weeks after my ceremony, where I had provided them for ILR but not naturalisation.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:31 am

Yes I don't think you come under new policy coming into force on April 6, 2015. Which in short says full biometric data will be removed once you have a UK Passport.

Eight weeks is not a long time at all by the way, you probably have personal experience like many here, that long it takes for Home Office to process its caseworks, if not you can view a few Timelines here to get the idea :lol: So it might take a while but they are definitely deleted in most cases, a person here had a problem entering UK on BRP alone. So if yours haven't been deleted, they will be, or you can write to Home Office if you want clarifications.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:29 am

There's no clear answer on whether it'll automatically be deleted (for those who applied prior to April 2015). I doubt there is a downside to sending that letter off to the HO anyway, so we might as well do it. If it's automatically deleted then they'll just reply to say that it is. If we don't try then we'll just continue to assume that they have been deleted.

happyguy82

Re: what to do with Biometric Residence permit after approva

Post by happyguy82 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Amber wrote:Here is the letter I suggested:

The Immigration Fingerprint Bureau (IFB)
5th Floor, Lunar House
40, Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

DATE

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: Name, address, telephone number, DOB, BRP number.

I have recently been naturalised as a British Citizen (please find enclosed a copy of the certificate). As such, I request that you destroy my fingerprint/bio-metric record pursuant to section 143 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended). I expect this to be done as soon as is reasonably practicable and for you to issue a certificate with such effect as per section 143(13) Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (as amended), this should be done within 3 months of this request.

I look forward to a prompt reply.

Yours Faithfully

SIGNED NAME

Enclose a copy of your BRP and certificate of naturalisation/registration and send by recorded delivery keeping proof of postage.
Hello guys,

I have written and posted a letter with the text above along with my documents 2 weeks ago. The IFB have received it but I have not heard from them. Has anyone received the certificate confirming their biometric information have been destroyed?

Thanks.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:27 pm

happyguy82 wrote: Hello guys,

I have written and posted a letter with the text above along with my documents 2 weeks ago. The IFB have received it but I have not heard from them. Has anyone received the certificate confirming their biometric information have been destroyed?

Thanks.
The process as far as I know, have changed slightly, so they may or may not write back to you.
The new legislations would imply (as far as I understand) that your Biometric Data will be kept till Home Office is informed of your attendance of Citizenship Ceremony. Page 13 of Guide AN says:
You will not be issued with a new biometric permit, but your current biometric permit will be returned to you, and your fingerprint details will be retained until we are notified that you have attended your citizenship ceremony.
And also please see page 35, 36 and 37 in this document, where it says fingerprints will be destroyed as soon as the person becomes British National, and photographs will be destroyed after issuance of the British Passport.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:27 am

Hello,

I have received the Biometric deletion confirmation from the HO. They don't delete photographs anymore, only the fingerprints.

I have attached the scan of it here.

Cheers.
Attachments
HO Biometric Deletion.JPG
HO Biometric Deletion.JPG (72.1 KiB) Viewed 5639 times

waiz89k

Post by waiz89k » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:42 am

Thats good that u have rcvd the certificate. But as FWD mentioned its going to be automatic anyways now.

But just for the sake of information,

is there any harm if HO still have our Bio Matric Data on their system?

Is it advisable to write to HO to destroy the Bio Matric Data and why?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 pm

I would still request deletion. If you don't, then there is not certainty when or if they'll purge their records.

Why should you do it? Equality, do you want the government to have access to your fingerprints, when such fingerprints could be used to prosecute you?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:25 pm

Amber wrote:I would still request deletion. If you don't, then there is not certainty when or if they'll purge their records.

Why should you do it? Equality, do you want the government to have access to your fingerprints, when such fingerprints could be used to prosecute you?
ditto! there's nothing to lose by doing so anyway.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:45 am

No harm is requesting since its your right as a British Citizen. But since keeping fingerprints is against the law as scanned copy clearly says, I doubt the Home Office has no procedures in place to remove the data periodically, it might take a while but as
this example shows, it happens on regular basis. As I said before its now done automatically.

Lots of requests could also mean they simply announce something like "No such requests will be responded, we have a procedure and your fingerprints will be destroyed in due course". Although its unlikely they'll announce something like that, I admit.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:56 am

fwd079 wrote:
The process as far as I know, have changed slightly, so they may or may not write back to you.
The new legislations would imply (as far as I understand) that your Biometric Data will be kept till Home Office is informed of your attendance of Citizenship Ceremony. Page 13 of Guide AN says:
Thinking about that, it doesn't make sense. If they delete one's fingerprints after they attend the ceremony then how would their existing BRPs work?? What if the individual does not want to apply for a British Passport but wants to continue using their previous one? There are millions of British citizens who don't have passports. Are they essentially forcing us to pay for and use the British Passport?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:00 am

happyguy82 wrote:
Thinking about that, it doesn't make sense. If they delete one's fingerprints after they attend the ceremony then how would their existing BRPs work?? What if the individual does not want to apply for a British Passport but wants to continue using their previous one? There are millions of British citizens who don't have passports. Are they essentially forcing us to pay for and use the British Passport?
It does make sense. Your BRP technically ceases to exist once you are Naturalised as a British Citizen. Then you have to apply for a British Passport if you want to travel abroad as a British Citizen, otherwise it can cause you hassle/delay on entry and now even on going out, since your passport will be stamped upon exit as well as entry now.

If you look at this example you'd understand a bit better about BRP's invalidity.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:33 am

fwd079 wrote:
happyguy82 wrote:
It does make sense. Your BRP technically ceases to exist once you are Naturalised as a British Citizen. Then you have to apply for a British Passport if you want to travel abroad as a British Citizen, otherwise it can cause you hassle/delay on entry and now even on going out, since your passport will be stamped upon exit as well as entry now.

If you look at this example you'd understand a bit better about BRP's invalidity.
OK thanks,.

london_2014

Re: Want your biometric record deleted after becoming Britis

Post by london_2014 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I sent a letter via special delivery in the begining of august to relevant authority requesting them to delet fingerprint..never heard anything back from them..it was delivered in time...what should I do?

london_2014

Post by london_2014 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:49 pm

london_2014 wrote:I sent a letter via special delivery in the begining of august to relevant authority requesting them to delet fingerprint..never heard anything back from them..it was delivered in time...what should I do?
received the letter yesterday saying they have removed fingerprints but kept my photo...

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi all,

Can we send the fingerprint deletion letter request after the citizenship ceremony but before a new passport has been issued?
I tell it like it is.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:53 pm

ElenaW wrote:Hi all,

Can we send the fingerprint deletion letter request after the citizenship ceremony but before a new passport has been issued?
You can, but its pretty much automated now. Fingerprints are deleted, photo is kept to be matched whenever you apply for first Passport.

Also on a side note something I found out, your Passport photo is now shared, I applied for renewal of my Driver's licence and was given the option to not send any photos, instead, give them Passport number and your Passport photo is on your new Driver's Licence.

naazz

Post by naazz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Guys you can not keep your BRP once you are naturalised as British citizen.

7. After your citizenship ceremony
Once you’ve got your certificate of British citizenship, you must send your biometric residence permit back to the Home Office.

Send it back within 5 days of either:

going to your citizenship ceremony
getting your certificate of British citizenship
Cut up your biometric residence permit and put it in a windowless envelope with a note saying you’re returning your permit because you’ve become a citizen.

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB
You’ll be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t return your permit in 5 days.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:43 pm

naazz wrote:Guys you can not keep your BRP once you are naturalised as British citizen.

7. After your citizenship ceremony
Once you’ve got your certificate of British citizenship, you must send your biometric residence permit back to the Home Office.

Send it back within 5 days of either:

going to your citizenship ceremony
getting your certificate of British citizenship
Cut up your biometric residence permit and put it in a windowless envelope with a note saying you’re returning your permit because you’ve become a citizen.

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB
You’ll be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t return your permit in 5 days.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony
Yes, we know. This thread is based on what could be done before the requirement to return BRP within 5 days of ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.