ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa refused HMRC tax

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Settlement Visa refused HMRC tax

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:23 pm

maniani wrote:I got a hearing date on 5 January 2015 at Newport. As my wife application was refused because the employer fails to pay a month tax on time and so home office thinks that i ceased my employment. I want to know who is liable to pay the tax under PAYE (RTI). I got P60 which show that tax has been paid. Now whose fault is this? Who is liable for this whole tax stuff. Is home office suppose that a employee must call HMRC every month to check the tax is paid or not? If so, then is there any worker in great britain who do this?
The employer must pay the tax, their not paying it usually means with they are playing fast and loose with their statutory obligations or they are in financial trouble.

RTI late fiing penalties on or after 6 April 2014

No of employees Monthly penalty
1-9 £100
10-49 £200
50-249 £300
250 + £400
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Wanderer wrote:
maniani wrote:I got a hearing date on 5 January 2015 at Newport. As my wife application was refused because the employer fails to pay a month tax on time and so home office thinks that i ceased my employment. I want to know who is liable to pay the tax under PAYE (RTI). I got P60 which show that tax has been paid. Now whose fault is this? Who is liable for this whole tax stuff. Is home office suppose that a employee must call HMRC every month to check the tax is paid or not? If so, then is there any worker in great britain who do this?
The employer must pay the tax, their not paying it usually means with they are playing fast and loose with their statutory obligations or they are in financial trouble.

1-9 £100
10-49 £200
50-249 £300
250 + £400
Yes, I know there is no penalty and it has to pay by my employer. But there is no fault of mine if he pays my tax late. The home office think that i ceased employment before the visa application because they don't find tax of mine of last month. Now what to do. I am still working for same employer earning over 31K. Now whose fault is this?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:55 pm

maniani wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

1-9 £100
10-49 £200
50-249 £300
250 + £400
Yes, I know there is no penalty and it has to pay by my employer. But there is no fault of mine if he pays my tax late. The home office think that i ceased employment before the visa application because they don't find tax of mine of last month. Now what to do. I am still working for same employer earning over 31K. Now whose fault is this?
It's not your fault no, but if taxes are unpaid by the employer the HMRC will try to come after you for said unpaid taxes, I'd bear that in mind.

You've no option but to to take it up with you employer but if I were you i'd be looking to change my job, there is no excuse for this sort of thing.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:24 pm

I understand that. But as a responsible employee, I get P60 at the end of financial year. I ensure that correct tax has been paid.
But according to HMRC:-

PAYE90020 - Reconcile individual: underpayments: PAYE directions
If an employer fails to deduct the correct amount of PAYE from an employee’s earnings, the employer is liable for the amount under-deducted. The underpayment should be recovered from the employer not the taxpayer, unless HMRC makes a PAYE direction.
Regulations 72(5) and 81(4) of the Income Tax (PAYE) Regulations 2003 govern the making of directions, which can be made if
• The employer took reasonable care to comply with the Regulations, and the failure to deduct the correct amount was due to an error made in good faith (regulation 72(5) condition A - the ‘honest mistake’)
Or
• The employer cannot pay the liability (for example due to insolvency, ceased trading) and the taxpayer knew that the employer had wilfully failed to deduct the correct amount of PAYE (regulations 72(5) condition B and 81(4) condition A - the ‘deliberate failure’)

In this way employer is liable for my tax. At the appeal hearing, I will take my company accountant with me to witness that the whole tax stuff is between the company and employer and there is no role of me in it. The accountant will also witness that i am genuine employer. So how much chance do i have to win the appeal?

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:44 pm

My amended hearing date is on 5 January 2015 at Newport . Please tell me will there be any person from home office to attend the hearing and when will judge gave its decision? Will he give the decision on same day or after?If after,then how much time? Please advice me.

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:50 pm

maniani wrote:My amended hearing date is on 5 January 2015 at Newport . Please tell me will there be any person from home office to attend the hearing and when will judge gave its decision? Will he give the decision on same day or after?If after,then how much time? Please advice me.
Any advice please.

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Appeal allowed under immigration rules. What's next now? How will embassy contact me?

Asma7
Newly Registered

Post by Asma7 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi,

Was your appeal allowed? because I am in a similar situation. What did you say at the appeal?

Thank you

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Asma7 wrote:Hi,

Was your appeal allowed? because I am in a similar situation. What did you say at the appeal?

Thank you
Yes my appeal is allowed

Asma7
Newly Registered

Post by Asma7 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi,

Is there any chance please , you what you said at the hearing and what the judge said. My appeal is in a week and it is very very similar to your situation. I will very much appreciate your help. Thank you

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:20 am

Asma7 wrote:Hi,

Is there any chance please , you what you said at the hearing and what the judge said. My appeal is in a week and it is very very similar to your situation. I will very much appreciate your help. Thank you
There was no argument at court. I just showed judge my P60 and letter from HMRC only and he was satisfied.

Asma7
Newly Registered

Post by Asma7 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Thank you

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Had you already received your hearing date?

Asma7
Newly Registered

Post by Asma7 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Yes its tomorrow.

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 am

Asma7 wrote:Yes its tomorrow.
Tell me how it went?

Asma7
Newly Registered

Post by Asma7 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:35 pm

It got adjourned because I was on a floating list, does anyone know why? New date is on the 5th of Feb.

Asma7
Newly Registered

Post by Asma7 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:37 pm

it got adjourned because I was on a floating list, does anyone know why? New date is the 5th of Feb.

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 am

Asma7 wrote:it got adjourned because I was on a floating list, does anyone know why? New date is the 5th of Feb.
All the Best for the hearing.....

maniani
United Kingdom

Post by maniani » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Visa Applied - 17/01/14
Visa Refused - 14/02/14
Appeal - 06/03/14
ECM Dealine - 13/08/14
Appeal Hearing - 5/01/15
Appeal Allowed - 9/01/15
Appeal sent to India - 26/01/15

Dear forums members

Can you please tell me how long British High Commission New Delhi will take to send me call letter?