ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to Apply for Dependents leave to remain

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iahsan

Re: When to Apply for Dependents

Post by iahsan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:32 pm

I would say twice on phone is good enough. If you want a written letter as a 'legal evidence', your calls recorded by UKVI are as good as a letter, you can do that yourself as well to have your own copy if that is the concern but considering that it is clearly a matter not even clear to the lawmakers themselves you will probably never get a response which is the same 10/10 times, letter or no letter.

If senior members like @manci have mentioned some internal directive SOPRU 2022, it must be something and if its internal we will never see it, so it will always be a case of taking some risk.

Even then, if dependents don't apply and the UKVI's own advise is incorrect, dependents will get a 'leave curtailment letter' at some point 90-120 days after your application, giving them 60 days to sort out their visa or leave and then it will be absolutely certain that they need to apply and they can then apply.

Isn't that the case?
avi wrote:Yes its 2 separate queries. After i received the written communication i called them again and even then they said that dependents don't need to reapply. I have asked them to email me a written confirmation for this. The lady on the phone said she will get back to me by this Thursday. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Avi

iahsan

Post by iahsan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:21 pm

So here is an update,

I got my Tier-2 General processed (approved) at a premium centre today. My previous visa was also Tier-2 G meaning I am only changing jobs.

When all was done I asked the person on the desk if he can answer a query about dependants visa, he said yes.

I told him I have called the helpline and they have said "I don't need to reapply" but still there is conflicting advice and UKVI emails/letters around about whether now my dependants should also apply or they can continue till their current leave expires, his response was.

"You don't have to but we ADVISE that you do update (reapply) dependants visas whenever you change yours to keep all dates inline with main applicant".

I told him I understand that and it makes sense but that advise is going to cost me 3500 so is it REQUIRED or ADVISED?

His response was, "let me give you an example, if you are at an immigration desk and they check your BRP and your dependants' and they see the dates don't match they will have to do an inquiry into the matter and it can take long but there is no compulsion as long as they have a valid leave".

One exception to all this is that if your new Tier-2 leave is shorter than your previous one (for any reason) then your dependants will end up having a leave longer than yours which should not be possible so in that case maybe they need to reapply or have their leave curtailed but otherwise there shouldn't be any need to.

So unless I get a 'curtailment letter' for my dependants I don't think I am applying for their visas after all I have heard/read/asked.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Dear All

Please find this information:

There is no requirement for a PBS dependent to apply for leave at the same time as the main applicant, providing that they continue to have valid leave. It is not necessary for PBS dependents to apply for new leave in these situations as there is no rule which states that the PBS dependent's leave is invalidated by the main applicant changing employer or even switching into a different PBS category.

this was sent from UK Visas and Immigration

kawosika
Newly Registered

Post by kawosika » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:26 pm

rozearo wrote:Dear All

There is no requirement for a PBS dependent to apply for leave at the same time as the main applicant, providing that they continue to have valid leave. It is not necessary for PBS dependents to apply for new leave in these situations as there is no rule which states that the PBS dependent's leave is invalidated by the main applicant changing employer or even switching into a different PBS category.

Many thanks Rozearo for sharing this information. It goes a long way to confirm the previous posts and more than clarifies this previously grey area.

Well done all for your contributions and sharing.

iahsan

Post by iahsan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 am

Dear Rozearo,

Thanks for the update.

Was this a phone call conversation or a written communication?

sumlak
Newly Registered
India

Post by sumlak » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi All,

I've been in a similar situation and I didn't need any letter or confirmation from any lawyer or Home Office.
I was on Tier 2 from April 2012 - April 2015, My wife applied for a dependent visa and she got her visa valid until April 2015.
Later in 2013, I changed jobs and applied for new visa which was valid from Feb 2013 - Mar-2016 however my wife continued to stay on her initial permission valid until 2015.
Yet again, I changed jobs in 2014 and got my new visa validity until 2017. In March 2015 - My wife applied for extension and got her extension until my current visa until 2017.

There wasn't any issue with her application as such and she got her visa in 3 weeks time after she applied.

However; it may depend case by case. Its better to consult but I thought to share my experience.

Thanks
rozearo wrote:Dear All,

I have contacted the home office & they confirmed that dependents can stay on old visa if you are just changing the employer on Tier 2 visa!

I have requested a written confirmation about that information, but still waiting for it.

Regards

iahsan

Post by iahsan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks a lot sumlak,

This is probably the first 'been there done that' case I have seen on the forum so far on this issue.

Helps a lot more to know if somebody actually been through what a lot of us are proposing here.

Thanks again for sharing.
sumlak wrote:Hi All,

I've been in a similar situation and I didn't need any letter or confirmation from any lawyer or Home Office.
I was on Tier 2 from April 2012 - April 2015, My wife applied for a dependent visa and she got her visa valid until April 2015.
Later in 2013, I changed jobs and applied for new visa which was valid from Feb 2013 - Mar-2016 however my wife continued to stay on her initial permission valid until 2015.
Yet again, I changed jobs in 2014 and got my new visa validity until 2017. In March 2015 - My wife applied for extension and got her extension until my current visa until 2017.

There wasn't any issue with her application as such and she got her visa in 3 weeks time after she applied.

However; it may depend case by case. Its better to consult but I thought to share my experience.

Thanks

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:19 pm

iahsan wrote:Dear Rozearo,

Thanks for the update.

Was this a phone call conversation or a written communication?

It was a written confirmation in response to a phone call conversation