ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Germany with non EU family member

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

easy_rider
Newly Registered

Re: Moving to Germany with non EU family member

Post by easy_rider » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:38 am

Hello JulianaV,

Please check this topic. ALKB explained the process very clearly: http://www.immigrationboards.com/europe ... ce#p971300

But I dont know if that member succeed or not with his/her application.

I hope ALKB would answer us soon if the things really work like that in practice. I really need his experienced suggestions and opinions.

easy_rider
Newly Registered

Post by easy_rider » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Nobody knows anything ? We really need some experienced advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:59 pm

easy_rider wrote:
ALKB wrote:
1. Don't do either. Just register your residence with the local municipality, make an appointment with the Ausländerbehörde that falls within 90 days of arriving (so don't dawdle, get this sorted ASAP) and they can't ask you for finances, job or health insurance. If your appointment is after 90 days when they can and will ask to see those. Applications are usually decided on the spot and your residence card should arrive after three weeks.

2. Not in the first 90 days.

3. Theoretically right away, practically an employer will want to see proof of your work rights.

4. She can be self-sufficient through your income but it would be good if she could manage at least a part time job.

I recommend to have travel insurance for at least the first 90 days. As soon as you start work you can get insured with a public health insurance (try not to get caught up with a private insurer, as indeed it can be very, very tricky to get accepted into public health insurance once you have been insured privately).

I don't agree with the small town/big city comments. For a foreigner, the big cities will always be better, easier to get by with English, more job opportunities, especially if you are part of a visible minority.
Thanks a lot ALKB! You made it so clear for me.

Please don't get me wrong but I would like to ask you (to be sure) if things really work like that in practice? Have you experienced it before (or maybe any friends of you) ? I am asking this because I had same idea with you about not requiet to prove any finances or health insurance if we apply in first 90 days. But some people from here or other forums say that applying a residence card without insurance will be useless. And as you mentioned before we do not want to get into the private insurance at first side.

Do you think Anmeldung would be enough to convince the employers until I get the residence card ?

Plus, can she get social benefits (for example; elterngeld if we have baby in the future) if she lives as a self-sufficient through my income?

We prefer moving to Berlin exactly because of the multi kulti population of the city. Although Berlin has the high jobless rank in Germany, still there are many opportunity for the expats.

So many thanks again for your answers and interest.
Sorry, I thought I replied to this a long time ago...

Yes I know and know of several people who have done it that way.

See here:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/

An Anmeldung/Anmeldebescheinigung is nothing but a proof of address. Just like an electricity bill in the UK will not tell a prospective employer that you have the right to work, an Anmeldebescheinigung says nothing about your work rights in Germany.

After 90 days, (or earlier if she works) your wife/the household can get non-contribution-based benefits but she/the household cannot solely rely on benefits for staying after 90 days as this would mean she is not exercising treaty rights. She can for instance work part time and top up her income with benefits.