ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Durable relationship for gay couple

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

psychguy
Newly Registered

Re: Durable relationship for gay couple

Post by psychguy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:49 am

chaoclive wrote:
I have copied the link to this page over there. Not sure if they will check it out though.
Are you sure you have?I cant see the actual link on your post.Did they take it out?

psychguy
Newly Registered

Post by psychguy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:37 am

Hey everyone.So here is an update that I believe is worth mentioning.Last week the new government here (Greece) has announced that it will introduce civil partnerships for gay couples.Do you think it would be a wise decision to refrain from doing the durable relationship application until after we can get the CP licence? Trouble is we dont know exactly when they intend to vote on it.

If we are in a CP would that solve the 2 years cohabitation issue?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:43 pm

psychguy wrote:Hey everyone.So here is an update that I believe is worth mentioning.Last week the new government here (Greece) has announced that it will introduce civil partnerships for gay couples.Do you think it would be a wise decision to refrain from doing the durable relationship application until after we can get the CP licence? Trouble is we dont know exactly when they intend to vote on it.

If we are in a CP would that solve the 2 years cohabitation issue?
Yes, a CP would solve that issue! If you're married or in a CP that would mean that you don't have to show cohabitation. Obviously, it depends on when they're going to do it.

Did your partner get any form of residence card in Greece? Or is he just there on a tourist visa at present?

psychguy
Newly Registered

Post by psychguy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:04 pm

chaoclive wrote:
Yes, a CP would solve that issue! If you're married or in a CP that would mean that you don't have to show cohabitation. Obviously, it depends on when they're going to do it.

Did your partner get any form of residence card in Greece? Or is he just there on a tourist visa at present?
Hey,thanks for the quick response.See this is a problem.My partner is an asylum seeker,trouble is that his application is pending since 2009(!) .Generally Greece has a f@cked up immigration system so while he can legally remain in the country he is in a legal limbo concerning his status.The new government has promised that it will settle this issue and provide residence rights to those already in the country for more than 5 years.

Anyhow I called a lawyer here and she said that as long as my partner has this card proving he is seeking asylum he can get the CP.While it is not clear when the law for gay couples will be voted we know for sure that it will have the same provisions with straight couples and so she told me that we would be eligible for the CP once it becomes law of the land.

Anyway we are willing to wait it out until the law passes but even though the new government here said it will be one of the immediate laws Greece is currently engaging in a showdown between Merkel and Tsipras so I reckon they will focus on social issues once they solve the more pressing issues on the financial front.

Is there any restriction from the British side on his residence status in Greece?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 pm

psychguy wrote:
chaoclive wrote:

Hey,thanks for the quick response.See this is a problem.My partner is an asylum seeker,trouble is that his application is pending since 2009(!) .Generally Greece has a f@cked up immigration system so while he can legally remain in the country he is in a legal limbo concerning his status.The new government has promised that it will settle this issue and provide residence rights to those already in the country for more than 5 years.

Anyhow I called a lawyer here and she said that as long as my partner has this card proving he is seeking asylum he can get the CP.While it is not clear when the law for gay couples will be voted we know for sure that it will have the same provisions with straight couples and so she told me that we would be eligible for the CP once it becomes law of the land.

Anyway we are willing to wait it out until the law passes but even though the new government here said it will be one of the immediate laws Greece is currently engaging in a showdown between Merkel and Tsipras so I reckon they will focus on social issues once they solve the more pressing issues on the financial front.

Is there any restriction from the British side on his residence status in Greece?
No; there is nothing that can stop him entering the UK (no matter what his status in Greece is). The only thing that I could see is if he doesn't have a passport he will have problems getting an EEA family permit.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:21 pm

An extended family member has no automatic right of entry and residence under the EEA Regulation.

They can only enter if in all the circumstance, the Entry Clearance Officer or the Secretary of State is of the view that it is appropriate.

He will need a valid ID to succeed.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

psychguy
Newly Registered

Post by psychguy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 pm

chaoclive wrote:
psychguy wrote:
chaoclive wrote:

No; there is nothing that can stop him entering the UK (no matter what his status in Greece is). The only thing that I could see is if he doesn't have a passport he will have problems getting an EEA family permit.
He has a valid passport from his home country .He actually renewed it just a few months ago from the embassy here!!

So just to recap.If we wait it out until they pass the law and we get the CP a)we dont need to prove cohabitation b) we strengthen his chances of getting the permit?

psychguy
Newly Registered

Post by psychguy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Obie wrote:
He will need a valid ID to succeed.
He has a valid passport ,would that suffice?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:25 pm

He will also need to demonstrate that within the meaning of regulation , that he is in a durable relationship with you and in all the Circumstances it is appropriate for an EEA family permit to be issued under Regulation 12 (3)

psychguy
Newly Registered

Post by psychguy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Obie wrote:He will also need to demonstrate that within the meaning of regulation , that he is in a durable relationship with you and in all the Circumstances it is appropriate for an EEA family permit to be issued under Regulation 12 (3)
Thus my original question on whether the CP would prove this?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:33 pm

A civil partner is not subject to regulation 12 (2)(3). They will qualify under regulation 12 (1) if they can demonstrate that they are in a lawfully conducted civil partnership and that the partnership is not one of convenience.

psychguy
Newly Registered

Post by psychguy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Obie wrote:A civil partner is not subject to regulation 12 (2)(3). They will qualify under regulation 12 (1) if they can demonstrate that they are in a lawfully conducted civil partnership and that the partnership is not one of convenience.
Bring it on!! We are a genuine couple 1000000% :P They can interview us all they want.They will immediately understand the nature of our relationship :lol: :P :oops:

Thanks so much.We are going to wait until they vote the law on gay couples which btw will make Greece the first country in the whole SE of Europe to have at last legal recognition for gay couples!!