ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

health surcharge !!!?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

g1583766
Newly Registered

Re: health surcharge !!!?

Post by g1583766 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Exorbitant cost of sponsoring a spouse/partner fully detailed here:

http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/ ... 01229.html

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by asif_sharif » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:10 pm

i got charged £600 pound got given no explantion as to why ? :?:
married 21/02/2014
21/04/15 DOCUMENTS submitted
22/04/15 reaches BHC islamabad
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
review deadline 24th December 2015
COURT DATE 18TH JANUARY 2017
entry allowed
wife arriving 29th April 2017

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Initial entry clearance for a spouse visa is issued for 33 months, so the charge of £600 is correct.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by asif_sharif » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:27 pm

thanks for the quick reply mate
married 21/02/2014
21/04/15 DOCUMENTS submitted
22/04/15 reaches BHC islamabad
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
review deadline 24th December 2015
COURT DATE 18TH JANUARY 2017
entry allowed
wife arriving 29th April 2017

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:36 pm

You are welcome.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 am

physicskate wrote:
And what, pray tell, about those who are in a shortage occupation and STILL have to pay this ridiculous surcharge!? I have been paying in for a ridiculous amount of years and have only been to the odd GP appointment!
You won't have to pay it as you are going for ILR under 10 years route this year.

You put on uk-yankee that students should pay this, yet you were a student for many years!

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Petaltop wrote:
physicskate wrote:
And what, pray tell, about those who are in a shortage occupation and STILL have to pay this ridiculous surcharge!? I have been paying in for a ridiculous amount of years and have only been to the odd GP appointment!
You won't have to pay it as you are going for ILR under 10 years route this year.

You put on uk-yankee that students should pay this, yet you were a student for many years!
Wow - now a personal 'attack'?? And now you are following me across websites? Bit sad on your part... I do think that students should pay! They don't contribute via NI.

I was responding to the assumption that shortage occupations are 'more needed' in addition to already paying in via NI. My previous comment wasn't actually just about me! But read into it what you like... you clearly already have!!!

Just because I will try to avoid paying this (and should be successful) does not mean that I think other shortage occupation workers (or other contributing workers) should pay this ridiculous tax.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Have we missed the point that NI payments also contribute to the retirement pension and certain benefits, not simply the NHS? Although NI contributions were originally for medical treatment and unemployment benefit, this is no longer the case.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

antrad

Post by antrad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:37 am

I am in the process of applying visa for my spouse. we have completed the online application and about to pay for Health surcharge (separate process, I believe)

My question is, where do you mention/reference this IHS number in your visa application while submitting?

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:48 am

physicskate wrote:
Wow - now a personal 'attack'?? And now you are following me across websites? Bit sad on your part... I do think that students should pay! They don't contribute via NI.

I was responding to the assumption that shortage occupations are 'more needed' in addition to already paying in via NI. My previous comment wasn't actually just about me! But read into it what you like... you clearly already have!!!

Just because I will try to avoid paying this (and should be successful) does not mean that I think other shortage occupation workers (or other contributing workers) should pay this ridiculous tax.
It was the irony of you putting in your post that students should pay in the UK, when your signature said you went Student/PSW/Student again to reach 10 years in the UK, that got you noticed.

FYI, it is not a "tax", it is a small contribution towards full healthcare in another country. As a US citizen you should know how cheap this £200 a year is to cover all your healthcare in the UK including any existing conditions. Many other US citizens on your uk-yankee site have pointed out how cheap this is as they pay thousands of $ in contributions and deductables for medical bills each year and they look forward to being in the UK where they will never have to worry about affording healthcare again. If you don't like what the UK has done, then return back to the US and live with that worry of affording healthcare again.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:41 pm

But the thing is... I already contribute! Honestly, do you think US insurance companies could charge more just because someone is an immigrant. I could be wrong, but isn't that called 'discrimination'? This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with what the US does or does not do (and no I have no clue as I have lived in the UK my entire adult life). I already contribute well over £200 a year for the privilege of using the NHS (and no, I am not being sarcastic). I would be less offended if they required every single NI contributor to contribute more than they currently do (say another £200 per year? Then the NHS might actually be somewhat properly funded).

Additionally, it has not been made clear how the NHS will actually get or use this money: it looks more like it will just further line the UKVI coffers who already charge well above what it costs to do their job AND well above the economic impact of immigration on schools, hospitals etc... (see the link on either this thread or the UK-Y thread).

I abide by the rules of this country; I respect and admire many aspects about the UK. But this is a symptom of the anti-immigration sentiment that has swept the UK since the crisis that began in 2008. Just because I like living here (and my private life is here) does not mean that I need to agree with every aspect of life here.

Additionally, I do think students should pay to use the NHS - even though they are statistically less likely to need and/or use healthcare than the aging population. Just because I was a student does mean I used the NHS when I was - and I would have been exceedingly happy to do so had the need arisen. Seriously, stop making PERSONAL judgements against me - you know nothing about me you massive wind-up merchant.

Petaltop, get a life. I have reasons behind my opinions, all you have is the same anti-immigrant diatribe that I hear from the far-right. I suggest you do some further research into this charge...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:52 pm

With respect, please can we get back to using this as an advice thread rather than a discussion on the pros and cons of the new legislation?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

taribo

Post by taribo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am

Just don't get this health surcharge thing really :twisted:
What about those like me who are on nhs tax credit
Exemption?i have just received my new card for
This year,and due to renew my flr(m) in 4 months.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:05 am

You will be subject to the surcharge whether or not you are claiming tax credits. The fee will be £500 (if the extension is for 2.5 years) in addition to the visa fee and payable before submitting the FLR(M) application.
(Casa, not CR001)

cool mind

Post by cool mind » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:40 pm

In my estimate its like a bribe/indirect begging for granting visa Because if you need to earn £18600 and you are paying NI contributions then where are they actually going :idea: ? A lot people don't use UK NHS rather prefer their own homeland treatment/medicines which are far more better than UK? It's just an indirect begging by money sucker authorities??

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 am

Feel like that Britain is adopting back its same ruthless style dating back to king Edward to increase its wealth wells but in this time in a fully modernised style 8) 8)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Universal soldier wrote:dating back to king Edward
Which one? We have had eight, six assuming that you do not count Edward V and Edward VIII.

To the mods, this thread seems to have reached the end of its life and does not seem to serve any function but to help people vent their opinions, rather than discuss facts. I have seen threads locked down for a lot less. Is that worth considering in this case?

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Universal soldier wrote:dating back to king Edward
Which one? We have had eight, six assuming that you do not count Edward V and Edward VIII.

To the mods, this thread seems to have reached the end of its life and does not seem to serve any function but to help people vent their opinions, rather than discuss facts. I have seen threads locked down for a lot less. Is that worth considering in this case?
I suspect that you don't have any immigration query rather just wondering around for fun. You must be boring a lot and must be a member of different web chatting sites with different names. Why don't you spend your more time there instead there because you have no information to give :lol: :lol: :P