ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife to be dual national could any1 help EEA OR FLRM

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Uzzybhatti
Newly Registered

Re: Wife to be dual national could any1 help EEA OR FLRM

Post by Uzzybhatti » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:25 pm

secret.simon wrote:Given that your fiancé does not want to give up her British citizenship and that she is not from Northern Ireland, I see no option but the FLR(M) route.
Thanks alot for your help will keep you updated n will post if i need some help!! Enjoy sunny dAys

Regards
Uzzy

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Obie wrote:Well I am perfectly content with you not agreeing with me.

That is what makes an healthy debate.

My view is that, it is at least arguable , that the article in question will be nugatory , if national authority refuses tje right of an Irish citizen to recognise herself only as Irish.

In the case of McCarthy , Mrs McCarthy only picked up UK nationality , to help her husband, she had always been a United Kingdom National.

In the Northern Irish scenario, if a person has since birth held Irish Citizenship and recognises them self as such, and never obtained British citizenship, I fail to see how the Irish agreement will make sense to them if the UK say, they are only British and will only be recognised as such.

It will make no sense.

Northern Ireland has a unique status that is different from other regions of the UK.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ice001.pdf

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:44 pm

I believe that is the point i was seeking to make.

That letter in my view represent the correct legal position.

The Good Friday agreement recognise the birthright of a person born in Norther Ireland to identify him/herself as Irish, British or both.

It clearly does not change the citizenship law of both nations, such that a Person Born In Northern Ireland to a British Unionist parent will still be entitled to Irish Citizenship, or an British citizenship, by virtue of the citizenship law of those 2 nations.

What i said, which i continue to say, is that it will be a breach of that agreement to fail to recognise a person's right to genuinely choose between the right to be identified as an Irish or British.

If a republican in Ireland, provide a Irish Passport, and tell the British government, that I identify myself as an Irish and want nothing to do with British or Britain, and wish to identify myself as Irish only, and fail to put on the Application that he is a British aswell, then as per the Agreement, the Government will need to recognise.

The same applies, if a unionist went to Dundalk and applies under EU law, with his British passport, the Irish Government will be wrong to recognise his British Citizenship on the basis that he was born in the Island of Ireland, and an Irish aswell.

That will amount to a flagrant breach of the agreement. It will make the agreement nugatory, if both government refuses to recognise this.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors