ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby on the way..

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Congratulations on the new arrival! And thanks for sharing the super story of clear and accessible information about citizenship and immigration control available from the Irish government!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 pm

when deciding about your child's nationality in case your thinking of renouncing it, you should consider the child's future. do you intend to stay in ireland or at least europe.

you may note having european staus will remove any requirements in relation to access to college/univeristy etc and more important the rather expensive fees international students (non eu) are forced to pay to study in europe, it may be a long time, but at least think about giving the child the same oppurtunities

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:47 pm

archigabe wrote:My guess is that he holds a british passport. Another British/Asian couple also seem to have received the 5 year residence card.Seems that the Irish have a special status for British passport holders even if they don't satisfy Irish S.I 656
one of many reasons is due to the fact that people in the north are entitled to both british & irish citizenship

Laoch na hEireann
Newly Registered

Post by Laoch na hEireann » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm

If you both are non Eu national then you must hold 3 years reckonable residency (Stamp 1 or 4) before the child is born. if that is in order then your child will be entitled to an irish passport

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:45 am

Laoch na hEireann wrote:If you both are non Eu national then you must hold 3 years reckonable residency (Stamp 1 or 4) before the child is born. if that is in order then your child will be entitled to an irish passport

He says he's British so the residence rule does not apply.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:36 am

Laoch na hEireann wrote:If you both are non Eu national then you must hold 3 years reckonable residency (Stamp 1 or 4) before the child is born. if that is in order then your child will be entitled to an irish passport
Seriously, why are you dragging up so many old threads and posting vaguely relevant comments?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Just thought I'd give an update for anyone who's interested..

First and foremost, I want to apologise to JAJ. I've re-read the thread from the beginning and I can see that, in parts, I came across a bit stroppy. The advice from JAJ is invariably correct without doubt. I, on the other hand, don't always share this trait.

I also realised my own mis-understandings of the Directive and other "rules" in the past. I used terms which are wrong (Permanent Residence is not "applied" for!). But hey, we learn as we go!

So, I sent off the EU1 form in March this year. Waited a bit as I wanted to submit it together with two other EU1 applications for other family members. The approval for all three came a week or two later than the 6 months deadline, but there you go.

Went to our local GNIB and the officer registered my son, including the issuance of the Residence Card, valid for 5 years. Wasn't easy getting our son to hold still for the camera, but eventually the photo was snapped!

My other two family members, who were also issued their Residence Cards on that visit, were fully finger-printed (compatibility with the Directive questionable), but my son was not. Didn't ask why.

Anyway, when he's five my son will be returning for his Permanent Residence Card (will these be Stamp 5 EUFam? I asked the GNIB officer, but I don't think he really understood my question). The validity of the Permanent Residence Card will only broken if more than 2 consecutive years are spent outside of Ireland, unless for certain important reasons such as compulsory military service (NS, for male Singaporeans).

Finally, for any who's wondering, the reason I want to go down the EU route for my son, based on his Singapore citizenship is, in 2029, when my son is 21 - or indeed much later in his life, the world may be a very different place from how it is today. Asian countries, like Singapore, might be "the place to live", for economic or other reasons. Obtaining Singapore citizenship for my son is, in my opinion, an investment for him in the future. He may be very grateful, in years to come. If not, and he prefers to live in Ireland or elsewhere in the EU, he will still have, at least, his British citizenship to allow him to do that (which can be reclaimed once only following renunciation).

Anyway, thanks for reading!
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ca.funke
Belgium

dual

Post by ca.funke » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:59 am

Hi benifa,

I just naively read about Singaporean dual-Citizenship in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporea ... citizenshi
...Minors who are dual or multiple citizens by birth on foreign soil, by descent from foreign parents or by naturalisation before the age of 18 are required to renounce all foreign citizenships by the age of 22 or may lose their Singaporean citizenship...
As such, couldn't you get him a Singaporean and an Irish passport, at least up to the age of 22 when your son would have to decide for himself?

Or is the wiki-info incorrect or I'm not understanding it correctly?

Regards to Waterford from Zürich,
Christian

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: dual

Post by Ben » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:28 am

ca.funke wrote:Hi benifa,

I just naively read about Singaporean dual-Citizenship in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporea ... citizenshi
...Minors who are dual or multiple citizens by birth on foreign soil, by descent from foreign parents or by naturalisation before the age of 18 are required to renounce all foreign citizenships by the age of 22 or may lose their Singaporean citizenship...
As such, couldn't you get him a Singaporean and an Irish passport, at least up to the age of 22 when your son would have to decide for himself?

Or is the wiki-info incorrect or I'm not understanding it correctly?

Regards to Waterford from Zürich,
Christian
Hi Christian,

You're quite right, and for that reason I've actually got him already a British and an Irish passport. Upon reaching 21/22, assuming he decides to remain a Singapore citizen, he'll have to give up British and Irish citizenships. But, by that time, my son will have attained PR in Ireland, as a Singapore citizen, through the EU route, so his right to reside in Ireland will not be lost (not by renunciation of Irish and British citizenships anyway).

Of course, if he does choose to remain a Singapore citizen and renounce the other two, my understanding now is that, with regards to British citizenship, it is straightforward and actually somewhat common practice, to return to the British embassy, the day after renouncing British citizenship for the purpose of making oath to and retaining Singapore citizenship, to reclaim British citizenship (but you can only do this once). But I am mindful that things may change between now and then. Also, I think if Singapore got wind that people were doing this they'd be inclined to strip Singapore citizenship back off you like a shot.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

JAJ
Australia

Re: dual

Post by JAJ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 am

benifa wrote:Hi Christian,

You're quite right, and for that reason I've actually got him already a British and an Irish passport. Upon reaching 21/22, assuming he decides to remain a Singapore citizen, he'll have to give up British and Irish citizenships. But, by that time, my son will have attained PR in Ireland, as a Singapore citizen, through the EU route, so his right to reside in Ireland will not be lost (not by renunciation of Irish and British citizenships anyway).
It would be a question for a future court to decide, but legally, his EU1 status may be null and void if he is also an Irish citizen.

You also presume that Ireland will still be in the EU by then. Britain may not be.

Of course, if he does choose to remain a Singapore citizen and renounce the other two, my understanding now is that, with regards to British citizenship, it is straightforward and actually somewhat common practice, to return to the British embassy, the day after renouncing British citizenship for the purpose of making oath to and retaining Singapore citizenship, to reclaim British citizenship (but you can only do this once). But I am mindful that things may change between now and then. Also, I think if Singapore got wind that people were doing this they'd be inclined to strip Singapore citizenship back off you like a shot.

Was your son born in Ireland or Northern Ireland? If so, then as far as I understand he has a constitutional and legal entitlement to resume Irish citizenship (after renunciation).

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:30 am

20 years from now many things may have happened.
  • Britain may not be in the EU.
  • Should Britain leave the EU, Ireland may choose to stick with Britain rather than the EU. (Ireland usually follows Britain in their love/hate relationship, exception the €uro)
  • The EU as a whole may dissolve and/or re-appear in a totally different shape.
  • And/OR, actually most likely, Singapore may accept dual (triple) citizenship by then.
I guess you can't plan for all possible eventualities.